blinking nose lift light problem (but only after the car has been driven??)

THISINDOLYFE

Hey guys,

I have the KW v3 coilovers on my car with the HLS kit. I've had it on the car for about a year and it has been running beautifully for the first few months. I believe after about 6 months, I started noticing that when I pressed the nose-lift button, the car would go up for a second or so, then it would drop back to its original position and then the nose lift light would blink constantly, and pressing the nose lift button again did nothing. I would usually turn the car off and back on again, the blinking would go away, then the nose lift would work as normal.

This problem started happening more frequently (with period between problems occurring closer and closer) up to last week when I could guarantee to replicate the problem as long as the car has been driven for a while. At this point in time last week, turning the car off and back on again would not result in the nose lift being able to work. It just would go up for a split second then back down immediately to its original position. I had to turn off the car, come back to it in the morning and then the nose lift would work again as usual. But as soon as I have driven around, the problem would restart again. Checking the coilovers and the lines, I don't see any leaks.

My friend had suggested to check the power steering fluid and upon checking it, I saw that it was way past below the minimum mark, so I bought some dexran III and topped it off, hoping that the problem would go away. Alas, it didn't. Same problem.

Another friend suggested a full ps fluid flush and refill, suggesting it could be some bubbles in the line. Which brings me to this thread. What do you guys think about it? Should I do the full flush and refill?

Does any of you have any guide or pictures of how a full PS fluid bleed and refill is done? It would really help me a lot. Thanks!

Hey Joko, Im having the EXACT same problem with my KWs, the same way u described. Was fine for months, then lift would go up, drop, flash light. id restart car and it would work. now its at the point where the restart doesnt work anymore, literally the same as u described. My Lambo tech installed my KWs. He's bleed the system twice. I talked to KW at SEMA, they said maybe low fluid. Took car to another Lambo tech, dealer said lift pump maybe has small leak but they cant find leak, and wanted 5500 for a new pump!!! I never find any fluid on the garage floor, so i dont buy it. maybe its time we put some pressure on KW together as we literally now have the same prob with the KW V3!!??

560 dose not use Dexron 3 which is ATF the older Gallardos do. It should get VW power steering fluid which is green/blue.

P/S pump is not used for the lifting system on the 560 it has it own pump and fluid supply that is in the front. There is a cover on the right side just under the windshield it has a cap with a dip stick to check the level. The lifting system dose use Dexron 3 ATF fluid.

Just a quick check, but this is the reservoir I am supposed to fill up with dexran 3 right???

Honestly I'm not sure...I let the Lambo Techs handle it. Years ago the lift & steering pump were the same, but that changed long before our cars so I think there may be a separate reservoir for the lift pump...it is no longer the steering fluid fill. But again, I'm not 100% sure, I leave it up to the Lambo techs.

560 dose not use Dexron 3 which is ATF the older Gallardos do. It should get VW power steering fluid which is green/blue.

P/S pump is not used for the lifting system on the 560 it has it own pump and fluid supply that is in the front. There is a cover on the right side just under the windshield it has a cap with a dip stick to check the level. The lifting system dose use Dexron 3 ATF fluid.

nice timing and thanks for confirming what i said :)

Oh my... I just filled up the rear PS fluid reservoir with dexran III.....I knew something was amiss when I saw that the color wasn't the same (clear vs bright red).

Did I do any damage??

• 3 weeks later...
Hey Joko,

Ever resolve your lift issue?

Hi adam76,

I had same problem as Joke with the front lift intermittent operation with blinking light on my LP 560-4.

The post that I put up showing where the front lift orange reservoir level cap and filling point as taken out of the manual was for LHD cars.

Based on Joko's advice (many thanks), Joko pointed out that our cars are RHD, so the front lift reservoir orange cap and filling point cannot be accessed from the panel under the windshield wiper as per the workshop manual as this is where the brake master cylinder is located.

On RHD cars, the front lift reservoir and orange cap is on the left looking forward and can only be accessed by removing the luggage compartment liner. See photos. Ignore A,B and C captions. These are for dismantling lift system pipes.

The intermittent front lift operation and attendant blinking symbol was caused on Joko's and my LP560-4 by the front lift reservoir level being at the minimum level marker. Topped up the reservoir with Dexron 2 ATF oil and no more problem. Castrol in my case.

If you want to totally remove the luggage compartment liner, you have to release the connecting clip for the compartment light. A bit tricky. Method is to push the connector in (as if you are refitting it) and then press the release tangs and then pull it off.

Being able to solve this front lift problem shows the immense value of this forum in talking about any 'challenges' we face with our cars and putting us in touch with other lambo tragics around the world..

cheers,

john

post-130322-1382420847_thumb.jpg

post-130322-1382421045.jpg

post-130322-1382421107.jpg

Hi adam76/Joko,

I spoke too soon.

After filling the front lift reservoir to near max level as above, the front lift worked nearly all the time. Warning: don't overfill as during jack down operation, the fluid will leak out of the reservoir over everything under it. A bit like the reason when you are replacing worn brake pads, always make sure you take some brake fluid out of the brake master cylinder as you force brake fluid out of the caliper piston back into the brake master cylinder to make way for the new thicker pads.

Also funny squeaking/groaning noises coming from the front bellows/bladder as they filled to lift the front shocks base and the front of the car. The noise has nothing to do with the KW3 shocks as they are slaves in the front lift system. I am speculating maybe air in the system getting into the bellows/bladder under the shock base. I never heard this noise on front lift up operation before.

On further examination by the local lambo dealer senior tech of the front lift reservoir pump unit as to why the reservoir level had dropped from last very recent annual warranty service, the reason for the low reservoir level was minor weeping/leaking of Dexron II ATF fluid from the reservoir pump unit.

This leak needs to be fixed for maximum efficiency of the front lift pump and system, but also the leaking fluid is perishing the rubber parts under the front lift reservoir pump unit. This is not a good look.

These rubber covers/grommets have nothing to do with the front lift reservoir unit. The rubber covers cover wiring and other piping.

So the 2011 G is booked into dealer next week for warranty repair/replacement of front lift reservoir/pump unit as required.

Trust info of some use.

cheers,

john

Thanks John.

I was going to say I had the techs top off and it did not solve the prob. Now the dealer told me there is a small leak @ the pump fitting, but they arent sure, car is out of warranty and pump is 5k...but why are we all developing this leak at the pump only after installing the KWs? I have not heard of anyone else having a lift pump issue on the LP5x0's ???

Thanks John.

I was going to say I had the techs top off and it did not solve the prob. Now the dealer told me there is a small leak @ the pump fitting, but they arent sure, car is out of warranty and pump is 5k...but why are we all developing this leak at the pump only after installing the KWs? I have not heard of anyone else having a lift pump issue on the LP5x0's ???

Hi adam76,

You may be right. Is it mere coincidence that the leaking plumbing of the oem front lift unit is only being reported for LP 560's with KW3 shocks installed?

Based on logic, you might speculate that the hydraulic line fitting going into the pump is leaking as more pressure required to lift the kw shock than a normal oem shock.

Perhaps the front going up and then coming down straight away arises as the line pressure generated by the pump against the KW shocks exceeds the pressure relief valve switch pressure setting in the pump unit. So the front lifts under the initial pressure pumped into the front lift bag under the shock base. But pressure builds up too high and cannot be held, so pump pressure relief valve opens and pressure bleeds off and front comes down.

It might be that there is more resistance to the shock absorber spring being compressed in the kw's on lifting than with the standard shock springs. Or it may be something in the internal workings of the KW shocks? I really don't know.

One way to possibly check is to ascertain from KW what pressure is required to lift the shocks in the KW front lift system supplied with KW3 shocks to gallardos without OEM front lift.

Can then compare what pump pressure required to lift KW shocks as opposed to pressure required to lift OEM shocks.

I will see if dealer can measure the line pressure when using front lift on my LP 560 and can then compare this against the LARA system specs LDAS-32 when carry out error scan.

Just my two cents worth of speculation.

Let us see what senior lambo tech finds out next week.

cheers,

john

post-130322-1382514647_thumb.jpg

post-130322-1382514660_thumb.jpg

This is getting a bit strange with the 3 of us having the same prob...I emailed a KW contact I have and directed him to this thread to see if they can shed any light on the situation.

• 4 months later...
This is getting a bit strange with the 3 of us having the same prob...I emailed a KW contact I have and directed him to this thread to see if they can shed any light on the situation.

Any developments from any one on this front lift problem after fitting the KW3's?

Or is everyones front lift now operating ok?

If it is, can I ask what was done to those front lift systems with the kw3's now operating ok?

any advice or comment appreciated as my front lift is still not working with my kw3's.

cheers,

john

Any developments from any one on this front lift problem after fitting the KW3's?

Or is everyones front lift now operating ok?

If it is, can I ask what was done to those front lift systems with the kw3's now operating ok?

any advice or comment appreciated as my front lift is still not working with my kw3's.

cheers,

john

Mine is still not operating right. Dealer is being lazy and said to replace the pump motor at 5500, because there is "maybe a small leak" that they cannot find. So im not looking to throw 5k + away at a "possible" fix, especially when others are having a similar prob. I spoke with KW and they said they do not think its their issue and have not heard of others having the prob.

they're integrated to the coilover...so KW :)

Local Melbourne KW dealer advised the following re oem front lift not working on LP560 :

“Sydney LP560 car had the condition described and it was a faulty pump causing the problem.

The pump was cavitating and leaking fluid, the fluid does not leak much and can only be seen on the top side of underbody panel/drip tray”

I will be replacing my oem lift pump, so will see if that solves the front lift problem.

Cheapest lift pump part number 400412185E I have found is at eurospares UK for US$3400, but don't know if oem.

just my two cents worth.

cheers,

john

Local Melbourne KW dealer advised the following re oem front lift not working on LP560 :

“Sydney LP560 car had the condition described and it was a faulty pump causing the problem.

The pump was cavitating and leaking fluid, the fluid does not leak much and can only be seen on the top side of underbody panel/drip tray”

I will be replacing my oem lift pump, so will see if that solves the front lift problem.

Cheapest lift pump part number 400412185E I have found is at eurospares UK for US$3400, but don't know if oem.

just my two cents worth.

cheers,

john

Does that car have KWs?

Thanks for the info!

If you decide to get rid of the KW's let me know...I'll take the science project on them, lol.

I may pull them anyway if I decide to bite on the Huracan soon :)

Does that car have KWs?

Thanks for the info!

Hi adam76.

yes, it has Kw3's.

This front lift problem is very frustrating as I like the ride with the KW3's and ability to adjust height.

Raise the height when go 'route 66' driving across Australia and lower height for club track days and drag strip/half miles.

If a new oem lift pump does not do the job I will install the KW lift pump.

I installed full system of kw3 and four wheel lift on previously owned 2006 SE and no problems.

It will be interesting to see if anyone who has installed jrz coilovers with oem front lift has had any oem lift pump problems/leaks.

cheers,

john

Hi adam76.

yes, it has Kw3's.

This front lift problem is very frustrating as I like the ride with the KW3's and ability to adjust height.

Raise the height when go 'route 66' driving across Australia and lower height for club track days and drag strip/half miles.

If a new oem lift pump does not do the job I will install the KW lift pump.

I installed full system of kw3 and four wheel lift on previously owned 2006 SE and no problems.

It will be interesting to see if anyone who has installed jrz coilovers with oem front lift has had any oem lift pump problems/leaks.

cheers,

john

So this sounds now like the 4th 560 with KWs and leaking pump?