Interesting article on BOOST and HORSEPOWER

Lambofan35

Boost and Horsepower

The general rule of thumb is that, not accounting for temperature-induced power losses, a turbo will increase horsepower by about 7 percent per pound of boost over a naturally aspirated configuration, and a supercharger will increase it by 5 or 6 percent per pound of boost. The supercharger's return is a bit lower because it takes power from the crankshaft to turn the compressor, which a turbo does not. If your example engine makes 150 horsepower naturally aspirated, then you can estimate an extra 10.5 horsepower per pound of boost with a turbo and 7.5 to 9 more horses for a supercharger. If you're running 8 psi of boost, then that's an approximate 234 horsepower with a turbo and 210 to 222 with a supercharger.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/info_10009983_horsepow...l#ixzz2jdxkX4IK

GALLARDO TT:

-Lets say a factory rated 2008 Gallardo Superleggera makes 523HP Naturally Aspirated (may not be accurate but then again it may be close to the truth with a little lower compression, no cats, straight exhaust, etc..)

-7% of that is 37 horsepower per PSI.

-If you want to make 1000HP, it would be 14 psi x 37 horsepower= 518HP from boost plus 523HP Naturally Aspirated for GRAND TOTAL=1040HP

I found this random article which knows nothing about our cars at all but is really close to being accurate and I thought it was interesting. This would put a Gallardo at the following rough calculations...

14psi= 1040HP

20psi= 1260HP

25psi= 1448HP

30psi= 1633HP

35psi= 1818HP

Obviously this can't be completely accurate based on it just being a blanket statement with turbos and it doesn't figure in small or big turbos or how efficient these motors are.

If you have a GTT, please comment how close you believe the above estimates are.

That is actually scary close! That is a nice article, thanks for sharing.

Looks right on the money for my last two TT cars.

For every 1 atmospheric pressure you raise boost you should double the power. I think that is the general rule but I do not know for sure.

too many other factors to make this rule of thumb but it might be close in many cases.

turbo sizing/efficiency at respective boost levels, intercooling efficiency, motor volumetric efficiency.. goes on and on.

• 4 weeks later...