Looking to buy my first Lambo!

sp1tty

Hello all,

Ive been a lurker of this forum for quite some time and finally ready to start my search for a Gallardo.

What Im looking for:

2004-05 Gallardo, Preferably Manual (Egear will work as well), Brighter colors (or gray/white).

Looking to keep it under $100,000.

Here are a couple of cars I was looking. There is a wealth of knowledge here in this community, so hopefully you guys can share your thoughts on these cars.

Here is an Orange, Egear, 04. Carfax says no accidents but 5 owners. Thoughts?

Orange 04

I know this one doesnt fall into my criteria, but whats up with this car? Seems priced a bit low for an 08 SL, but I called the dealer on Wednesday last week and it had already sold that morning.

08 Superleggera

Thanks

-Val

Please please save your money and buy an 06. There are too many engineering upgrades to list here and the 06 drives like a different car as well. Also, you need to understand that exotics out of warranty can cost you a fortune to own. :)

Good Luck.

There are too many engineering upgrades to list here and the 06 drives like a different car as well.

Would you like to share on what engineering upgrades the MY06 has and how different does it drive compared to the MY04/05?

For the MY2006 (launched in late 2005) Lamborghini introduced many changes to the car to counter some criticisms garnered from the press and owners. These were based on the limited edition Gallardo SE. The exhaust system was changed to a more sporty one (including a flap to make it quieter around town), the suspension was revised, a new steering rack was fitted, the engine power was increased by 20 bhp to a maximum of 520 metric horsepower (382 kW; 513 hp), and the biggest change was an overall lowering of the gearing, especially in 1st to 5th. The result was a much improved car; it handled and turned better, sounded better under full throttle and the extra power and lower gearing made an already fast car into a much faster one.

For the MY2006 (launched in late 2005) Lamborghini introduced many changes to the car to counter some criticisms garnered from the press and owners. These were based on the limited edition Gallardo SE. The exhaust system was changed to a more sporty one (including a flap to make it quieter around town), the suspension was revised, a new steering rack was fitted, the engine power was increased by 20 bhp to a maximum of 520 metric horsepower (382 kW; 513 hp), and the biggest change was an overall lowering of the gearing, especially in 1st to 5th. The result was a much improved car; it handled and turned better, sounded better under full throttle and the extra power and lower gearing made an already fast car into a much faster one.

+1.

Definitely get a 2006 6 speed manual over earlier model.

A fun car to drive.

If your budget allows, the 2009 LP series are also improved, particularly as e-gear,

but not as 'sporty' as the 2006 manual.

just my two cents worth.

cheers,

john

A newer car is generally better but if there are budget constraints there is absolutely nothing wrong with a 04/05 these cars are bulletproof, the technology jump to the 06 wasn't that significant, other then gearing there wasn't much to speak of, depends on the premium you have to pay, I wouldn't pay more then 10% over if I could afford the jump and if I couldn't I would be more than happy to run with a 04/05.

Good luck with your search.

A newer car is generally better but if there are budget constraints there is absolutely nothing wrong with a 04/05 these cars are bulletproof, the technology jump to the 06 wasn't that significant, other then gearing there wasn't much to speak of, depends on the premium you have to pay, I wouldn't pay more then 10% over if I could afford the jump and if I couldn't I would be more than happy to run with a 04/05.

Fair comment.

All Gallardos are great cars.

cheers,

john

The only real difference going from an 04 to an 05 is that there is the front end lift on the 05. Some say there is a huge difference from 04/05 to 06. I'd drive both if possible. Generally the advice given is buy the best car you can afford. If you find an 04 that was well taken car of for the same price as an 06 that has no service records and was abused for the same price you probably want to get the 04. Good luck.

Would like to chime in on the multiple owners thing. My car showed 7 owners, it was actually 3, 1 guy moved it around from business to personal and back over a couple years and carfax noted it as a new owner each time. It showed 7 but I can say my 2006 G has been the most reliable car I have EVER owned. Better than my Honda Civic. I have had no problems it never misses a beat and is just an extremely awesome car every time I take it out. I keep up the regular mait and throw a quart of oil in every 800-1000 miles. Amazing car! I would also agree with what was said about going with the 06+

06+ has shorter gears in first and second, not sure about the rest of the gears

no difference in clutch engagement

exhaust note? no substantial difference

no difference in how it launches off the line (egear)

20bhp difference over previous models

The difference is not as significant as some say. As assman said, buy the most well sorted/docmented/taken care of car in your price range.

Next jump is the 08SL then a big jump to the LP560

Would like to chime in on the multiple owners thing. My car showed 7 owners, it was actually 3, 1 guy moved it around from business to personal and back over a couple years and carfax noted it as a new owner each time. It showed 7 but I can say my 2006 G has been the most reliable car I have EVER owned.

I know what we think of Jalopnik around here but Doug is a good guy:

http://dougdemuro.jalopnik.com/no-carfax-t...ners-1502109353

A newer car is generally better but if there are budget constraints there is absolutely nothing wrong with a 04/05 these cars are bulletproof, the technology jump to the 06 wasn't that significant, other then gearing there wasn't much to speak of,

The only real difference going from an 04 to an 05 is that there is the front end lift on the 05.

06+ has shorter gears in first and second, not sure about the rest of the gears

no difference in clutch engagement

exhaust note? no substantial difference

no difference in how it launches off the line (egear)

20bhp difference over previous models

The difference is not as significant as some say. As assman said, buy the most well sorted/docmented/taken care of car in your price range.

Next jump is the 08SL then a big jump to the LP560

Exactly.

Other than the front lift and the gearing, there really isn't any significant improvement for the MY06 cars. The gearing and the hp increase cancel out if it's a Galladro SE because the car had plenty of extra weight with all the bells and whistles as standard. The exhaust baffle made the car sounded a bit nicer but from a performance POV, it did nothing. As far as the original G is concerned, the significant jump was the MY08GSL. These comments are made from an owner's perspective.

Hope this helps and good luck on finding your bull.

Bull Proof? Maybe as bullet proof as a bowl of jelly. I'm on my 4th lambo and I love every one despite maintenance issues and crazy repair pricing.

Get an e-gear. You'll be sorry if you don't.

^Interesting. I went through MY04G, MY06GSE, MY08GSL, 570SL, all were just fine. There's the annual maintenance cost which were mid-3-figure sum. The SE had an issue but warranty took care of it. Other than that, all were simply fuel, tires and insurance. No other headaches and costs. Other modern Lambo's, e-gear or manual, seem just fine as well.

Bull Proof? Maybe as bullet proof as a bowl of jelly. I'm on my 4th lambo and I love every one despite maintenance issues and crazy repair pricing.

Get an e-gear. You'll be sorry if you don't.

Were all your Lambos Gallardo ? What sort of issues did you encounter with you cars?

I know this one doesnt fall into my criteria, but whats up with this car? Seems priced a bit low for an 08 SL, but I called the dealer on Wednesday last week and it had already sold that morning.

08 Superleggera

I suspect it was bought by LamboPower memeber :)

I suspect it was bought by LamboPower memeber :)

That would make sense. Since it is sold, it doesnt show the price any more, but it was listed at $119,xxx. Which seemed like a great deal if it was a well sorted car.

Thanks for all the responses. To give a little more info, I have driven an 04 E-Gear Gallardo a couple years ago, and I thought it was excellent, but of course i had no other Gallardos to compare it to.

Can anyone give more insight on the Orange 04 E-gear in my original post?

I am also looking at an 06 SE 6 Speed Manual and it looks like the perfect car. It already has the 560 bumper, SL Side Skirts, SL Diffuser, and Volk Racing Wheels. It has all the Service Records. If it doesnt sell in the next 2 weeks, I will be flying to Cali to check it out.

• 2 months later...

I got busy for the last couple of months and am back on the hunt for one. I found this one on ebay, 06 Gallardo !

Does any one know this car? It was sold in Socal last year. I love the Rosso Andromeda and the 570 bumper just sets it off.

Also, last question, does any one know who i should contact to get a ppi done in Milwaukee, Wisconsin?

I got busy for the last couple of months and am back on the hunt for one. I found this one on ebay, 06 Gallardo !

Does any one know this car? It was sold in Socal last year. I love the Rosso Andromeda and the 570 bumper just sets it off.

Also, last question, does any one know who i should contact to get a ppi done in Milwaukee, Wisconsin?

http://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=68036