Factory Visit

g-force

McLaren Newport Beach arranged factory visit for 4-15

Anxious to see it/ask some questions

No photography allowed unfortunately.

I did this a while back; it was absolutely epic. Got to go into some of the secret rooms and see the P1 and F1 stuff. It was incredible. The people are incredibly welcoming and kind; I've stayed in touch with many of them. Enjoy!

I'd love to see their collection of F1 cars. I know they really hold onto almost everything.

It's epic; especially the Senna stuff.

I love the factory and all of the design quirks and stories involved with it. As much as I would love to drive around the lake which cools the wind tunnel which in turn attracts local wildlife back in to the area or sit in the canteen surrounded by the trophies I really want to see the dirty warehouse where the old cars are stored.

I think it is incredible that McLaren have never sold off any of their race cars.

The factory is cool and all but make sure you see the proper stuff:

(1) The old F1 cars (Typically 4-6 chassis) are kept in a separate storage warehouse and all are covered up, but its still cool to see.

(2) MSO is where the current McLaren F1 repairs go on, and all special customization/construction work goes on. Its the original McLaren roadcars building and they have all the cool inventory.

(3) The F1 facility is awesome and there's an underground with the major machine-shops and final assembly occurs. Go see some of this stuff being made and prototyped, there's no reason to block it off.

(4) Also ask to see the design studio

(5) If you want to see the F1 drivers, go to the gym, otherwise they generally avoid perusing through the building in public view :)

The cafeteria is also really good surprisingly, but lunch happens in shifts between the F1 team and Road-Car team. Go sit with the F1 guys, they're a fascinating bunch.

- Chris

The food should be good. Ron Dennis was unhappy with the food they were getting so he started a McLaren catering company! :lol2:

I think it is incredible that McLaren have never sold off any of their race cars.

While McLaren have examples of most all their past racing cars it isn't true that cars have 'never' been sold. In the case of their modern cars from 1981 onwards it is mostly true but there are still cars in private collections and some in private hands. There used to be a webpage that cataloged this, but it has gone offline. You can still view a cached version here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20100820101034/...ars/McLaren.htm

(2) MSO is where the current McLaren F1 repairs go on, and all special customization/construction work goes on. Its the original McLaren roadcars building and they have all the cool inventory.

MSO moved out of the building called "Genesis" where the McLaren F1 road cars were built at the end of 2011 and into a facility formerly used by the McLaren Formula One team. It's still offsite from the Technology Centre and the ability to visit here is fairly limited.

>8^)

ER

Thanks for all the tips guys. I'm in Budapest now doing river cruise.

I'll be asking about 12C upgrades.....warranty extension for those of us

who didn't buy from a McLaren dealer.. and other stupid retail consumer

questions. Wife isn't nearly as excited as I am but she wound up really enjoying

Lamborghini factory tour some years ago.