91 Diablo on Jay Leno's Garage

StoleIt

is it just me or does jay really not know that much about cars

I think his automotive interests are so vast that he cant possibly know the stats on each and every car, especially the ones he has no interest in owning himself, the Diablo is one of them.

is it just me or does jay really not know that much about cars

I believe he "dumbs down" his YouTube channel to appeal to a wider audience. I've watched some private interviews with him and he is quite a car guy, not just a celebrity with a nearly 200 car collection.

If I had to critique it, I like these spots in general and I loved hearing this car, but I'd agree that it looked like all involved didn't really prepare much. Jay's guests didn't seem as familiar with the car's history as I would think they would be, but maybe it was just the awkwardness of being filmed. The Gandini question sorta' fell flat and searching for the G. badge on the wrong side left me wondering where he was going with that. One of Jay's leading questions was that The VT was the low point? Seriously? There was a low point to the Diablo?? Wha? I bought a VT on purpose, not because I was settling or couldn't find a nice enough other model. The other Diablo JLG video with Roy and the GT went a lot better, and Jay seemed to be more on his game.

I think people are viewing these through the mindset that it's a TV show and should be "on point" at all times. This is actually a hobbyist channel that Jay does for free and without advertising or sponsors. He just invites people over and talks cars with them on camera. It's clearly not directed or pre-produced beyond lining up topics and having the same basic formula (Jay starts alone, introduces guest, talks about car, drives car, possibly a burnout, "see you next time") -- I think they do a great job!

I toured Jay's garage in 2012 and his passion for cars and motorcycles runs incredibly deep. His collection of memorabilia alone is staggering, let alone the cars themselves!

I was there during a filming of an episode, and there is no preparation. Its all done spot on and pieced together..

I think people are viewing these through the mindset that it's a TV show and should be "on point" at all times. This is actually a hobbyist channel that Jay does for free and without advertising or sponsors.

All good, I hope he keeps doing them, but I thought I remember seeing some of the videos under the umbrella of an NBC production with NBC branding and advertising. Was that once the case and now he's running solo?