Huracan testdrive

topjay

Got some time coming up at the track in the next few days, any requests as to anything specifically people want to know and I'll try and answer it.

Just plan on driving it hard as see how it goes, mostly interested in different modes, gearbox and how fast, as cant really test comfort for every day use etc.

Don't think they will be an opportunity for a P-Box or if it will be allowed but I'll take it anyway just in case and definitely wont be possible for any standing launches as other moving cars.

If possible, please tell us about Dynamic Steering. That's seems to be an entirely new thing for this car and for Lamborghini altogether. Opinions seem widely divided & polarized; would be great to know some first-hand-experience feedback. The other would be the double-clutch; good and/or bad. Thank you.

Got some time coming up at the track in the next few days, any requests as to anything specifically people want to know and I'll try and answer it.

Just plan on driving it hard as see how it goes, mostly interested in different modes, gearbox and how fast, as cant really test comfort for every day use etc.

Don't think they will be an opportunity for a P-Box or if it will be allowed but I'll take it anyway just in case and definitely wont be possible for any standing launches as other moving cars.

That's awesome. You are gonna be blown away by the way it drives. Where are you driving it?

If possible, please tell us about Dynamic Steering. That's seems to be an entirely new thing for this car and for Lamborghini altogether. Opinions seem widely divided & polarized; would be great to know some first-hand-experience feedback. The other would be the double-clutch; good and/or bad. Thank you.

Trust me when I say, the dual clutch brings nothing bad.

Full write up later, but for now in no particular order:

Dual clutch is awesome

Car is morse stable and brakes better

No real noticeable suspension differences when switching modes, felt softer and heavier than 560 but handed better, smoother & more refined more electrics.

Not as fast as aventador

Hit about 170-80 on mile straight without trying, from standing

Unlimited launches now available like porsche

Great everyday car, but maybe a bit all round too good to feel supercar like if that is a criticism

Not sure about sport & corsa selection on steering at bottom. But different modes change gearbox & power delivery very well to suit character well and noticeably

Didn't like dynamic steering, it adjusting stuff made me nervous at speed cornering. But it could probably save you if not a great driver, but didn't like it taking control from me. Didn't notice it a t low speeds.

Way too quiet

All round more comfy and better but less raw. Great base car sl will be awesome

Rev limiter always seems to come in before the redline marker, very annoying, aventador did it as well.

More mid range power, smoother power curve than 560

Main thing was gearbox though on another level to previous car.

Transmission was great, still pretty aggressive but transforms car, aventador should have it. And I quite like the aventador single clutch.

Had about 40 mins in it on track & simulated road so bumps etc, and mile test straight. Tried all modes at all speeds, it's very good, but maybe too good as made it feel more normal because worked so well. Personally would like amore hardcore version, but I'm sure that would follow.

It's literally a use everyday car now, amazing really. Looks are also growing on me.

Thank you for the quick review topjay, unfortunately you've confirmed few of the things which concern me, dynamic steering, the fact that the car feels heavy and not as raw, I am eagerly awaiting the release of the SL version.

Forgot to add, really liked the option forged wheels on the car, thought they looked great.

One of the test cars also had the carbon seats but it was out so I didn't get to sit in it but there were a lot of drives so maybe someone else can comment.

Some had the slats and some the glass engine cover, IMO glass is the way to go.

Also shift paddles seemed a bit high for me, prefer more centralised on steering but that may just be my preference

Test cars were white and one pearl, weren't allowed to take pics as was a test facility and other manufacturers testing new models, lots of taped up 650s there, front didn't look that great on them but lots of tape so hard to say. Apparently you can order the p1 rear lights through MSO now which I think will massively improve it.

https://www.facebook.com/TopazDetailing and scroll down for the white pearl one.

Thank you topjay for the review.

It sounds like history is repeating itself but at a much higher level: i.e. the evolution of the original 1st-gen Gallardo to the LP560/570 series. More power yet more refined, more user-friendly but at the expense of less raw, less super-car and less drama. Sounds like dynamic steering is for the novice super-car driver/owner: another electronic nanny that would likely rescue the inexperienced who drives it too hot for them to handle but would also take the edge and fun out for the veterans who know how to handle it the old fashion way.

Agree with what many had said: the Suoerleggera version should be a ton of fun and, perhaps, the best all-rounder Lambo ever.

Looking forward to the full write-up.

Thanks Topjay, very informative review. I see you mentioned you are not a fan of the dynamic steering, how much do you think it would come into play on the street?

Thanks Topjay, very informative review. I see you mentioned you are not a fan of the dynamic steering, how much do you think it would come into play on the street?

I don't think it would at all for most people, the only time I even noticed it was turning in hard going fast into a corner, think you would rarely push hard enough on the street for it to become intrusive.

Can't say I really noticed it much at all despite looking for it, but when it did do something I definitely didn't like it. Hard to compare as didn't get to try one without or really notice for normal driving. But regardless it did drive very nice.

Personally I want a car as a supercar though not a an everyday car, so I want it to work, but still have a rawness that I feel involved in what's going on. I use them hard and I think it would aggravate me a lot for the way I use it but for a lot of people I can see it would potentially be a benefit. If it's going to be used hard I wouldn't spec it, but if used as a more normal car, them probably, as I think it potentially it made it more refined to drive. Probably won't matter much either way, it wouldn't put me off a car but that said I am not going to order it, like most things it will probably become a quirk of the car when you get used to it with it.

Main thing was gearbox though on another level to previous car.

Transmission was great, still pretty aggressive but transforms car, aventador should have it. And I quite like the aventador single clutch.

Told ya :icon_thumleft:

Attended the same event, I’ve driven a total of 90,000 miles in Gallardo and LP 560, so know the existing car, main points for me:

Sport Exhaust is crazy loud (was fitted to the car I drove)

Suspension while driving over a rippled concrete surface and switching between modes did feel slightly different, a little harder in sports

Instruments and controls very well organised into groups

Engine release - finally next to the bonnet release – both electric buttons still in the drivers foot wheel arch

Did a lap of the alpine circuit staying in 4th gear – wow the power at low revs is unbelievable, in the LP 560 would have been switching down to 2nd to get the same pull

Zero to 185mph using launch control was fluid constant acceleration,

Dual colour interior trim is stunning

Exhaust overrun spit and burble sound is a joyful sound I wouldn’t get bored hearing,

I’ve had dynamic steering in cars before, after a few weeks the change in steering becomes second nature, but wouldn’t have one again

Car revs so quick its impossible to change first / second gear before the rev limit is reach

In Auto mode with sports selected the car is a lunatic, actually that was fun to try,

20 inch wheels on rear look great

eddy99I thank you for the review, in relation to the sports exhaust do you think it's too loud, something you'd get tired of? Does it change its tone depending on the selected driving mode?

For me, driving the car everyday then yes the sports exhaust was without question too loud, even pulling off slowly from a stop was a noisy event, good fun, but not something that's going to win you friends with the locals.

On the flip side, I was surprised by the standard exhaust, standing next to a car with the standard and watching it move off slowly, the tyres made more noise than the exhaust - a Huracan in stealth mode,

SJ

Awesome to see all this feedback--mostly positive. Can wait to jump behind the wheel. Coming soon.