Buying One-What do you think of egear stats?

DiabloChad42

Hey guys. Feels good to be back. Purchased a Murcie last week. 2004 with 9k miles. It appears the clutch was done about 1100 miles ago. I had a snap test done by the dealer. I'm getting conflicting info about deterioration data and I wanted to put this out there. What are your thoughts? Is this bad? From what I'm told over heat is a bit much but by Lambo standards the deterioration level is past spec. According to my tech all clutches should be replaced at 15,000. Also heard that this parameter is constantly changing and can be reset. Most likely this is a function of a transporter loading the car improperly. Thoughts?

Hey guys. Feels good to be back. Purchased a Murcie last week. 2004 with 9k miles. It appears the clutch was done about 1100 miles ago. I had a snap test done by the dealer. I'm getting conflicting info about deterioration data and I wanted to put this out there. What are your thoughts? Is this bad? From what I'm told over heat is a bit much but by Lambo standards the deterioration level is past spec. According to my tech all clutches should be replaced at 15,000. Also heard that this parameter is constantly changing and can be reset. Most likely this is a function of a transporter loading the car improperly. Thoughts?

image.jpg

Clutches should not be replaced at 15k. Total rip off.

While these car's clutches don't last as long as a diesel Jetta, it's the same concept. Drive until they start to slip, then replace. The only reason to replace a clutch prematurely is if the engine is out of the car for another reason.

Clutches should not be replaced at 15k. Total rip off.

While these car's clutches don't last as long as a diesel Jetta, it's the same concept. Drive until they start to slip, then replace. The only reason to replace a clutch prematurely is if the engine is out of the car for another reason.

Um ok. Not sure I agree with that statement. There are tons of factors that can attribute to clutch replacement. I'm specifically asking about the deterioration number. Does the clutch need replaced if it shows 15,500? That's all I need to know. Thanks.

Um ok. Not sure I agree with that statement. There are tons of factors that can attribute to clutch replacement. I'm specifically asking about the deterioration number. Does the clutch need replaced if it shows 15,500? That's all I need to know. Thanks.

What whiteout said was right...

Are you stating if 15,500 miles means a clutch automatically needs to be replaced? Then no. I'm not too familiar with the egear snaps but even if the over heat is on the high side, the end result is still going to be some clutch percentage life remaining. If the clutch isn't slipping, there is no point in replacing now. Are you noticing issues or just purely going off the report?

What whiteout said was right...

Are you stating if 15,500 miles means a clutch automatically needs to be replaced? Then no. I'm not too familiar with the egear snaps but even if the over heat is on the high side, the end result is still going to be some clutch percentage life remaining. If the clutch isn't slipping, there is no point in replacing now. Are you noticing issues or just purely going off the report?

No no no guys. I guess I need someone out there who is a tech or is familiar with these tests. 15,000 is the deterioration rating! This has zero to do with mileage. It's the measurement in the computer, which by Lambo standards is out of spec....due to excessive heat. The clutch only has 1100 miles on it. Any Lambo tech guys out there who understand what I'm talking about?

No no no guys. I guess I need someone out there who is a tech or is familiar with these tests. 15,000 is the deterioration rating! This has zero to do with mileage. It's the measurement in the computer, which by Lambo standards is out of spec....due to excessive heat. The clutch only has 1100 miles on it. Any Lambo tech guys out there who understand what I'm talking about?

I have no idea about the deterioration rating, I thought you were referring to mileage.

No just because the deterioration says its over 15000 I would not recommend replacement unless there are other issues. Yes if the cars is driven onto a transporter it can raise the reading. Lambo did say a 15000 the clutch is at max limit but that number dose not work out in the real world. Almost every 640 will read in that area or higher with good clutch. Even Lamborghini accepts CPO info with readings above 15k.

If the PIS gets changed this can change the reading also.

The deterioration number means very little to me unless the car is having issues then Its normal to do a reset and I drive to let it recalculate and go from there.

Best wear indicator is the clutch wear and if it drives normal. Best way to know when its worn out is like what was said above it will start to slip then it needs replaced. Just like a manual car when it starts to slip it will not just stop it takes a bit. If driven easy could get a few 100 miles from one after fist signs of slippage maybe more some times less.

The deterioration is the overall bite of the clutch and is a calculation. If the flywheel and pressure plate or disc are glassed it allows the disc to slip more on take off which will raise this number if it bites at a low RPM with little slip then the number goes down. So a car set with a low PIS and say a pull away RPM of 1200-1300 RPM should have a lower reading a car with higher PIS and a pull off RPM of 1400-1600 should have a higher reading. The lower number will want to buck easier the higher number will normally pull away better. But use this number with a grain of salt.

There is a fair amount of over heat time but even that number can not be trusted much.

Here are the deterioration index readings from all the E-gear snapshots

taken over the course of 5.5 years and 75k miles with my G 2008 SL:

12000 -- reading right after a new TCU was installed (after the original one failed)

As you can see, the numbers bounce around a lot.

Perhaps with a long-term trend from ~18k towards ~15k.

So far the deterioration index doesn't seem to correlate with anything

else that's visible in my snapshots.

So then, what unit of measure is 15,000 ??

Great question. The whole thing is a giant mystery and an algorithm that Lamborghini came up with...which they won't explain

No just because the deterioration says its over 15000 I would not recommend replacement unless there are other issues. Yes if the cars is driven onto a transporter it can raise the reading. Lambo did say a 15000 the clutch is at max limit but that number dose not work out in the real world. Almost every 640 will read in that area or higher with good clutch. Even Lamborghini accepts CPO info with readings above 15k.

If the PIS gets changed this can change the reading also.

The deterioration number means very little to me unless the car is having issues then Its normal to do a reset and I drive to let it recalculate and go from there.

Best wear indicator is the clutch wear and if it drives normal. Best way to know when its worn out is like what was said above it will start to slip then it needs replaced. Just like a manual car when it starts to slip it will not just stop it takes a bit. If driven easy could get a few 100 miles from one after fist signs of slippage maybe more some times less.

The deterioration is the overall bite of the clutch and is a calculation. If the flywheel and pressure plate or disc are glassed it allows the disc to slip more on take off which will raise this number if it bites at a low RPM with little slip then the number goes down. So a car set with a low PIS and say a pull away RPM of 1200-1300 RPM should have a lower reading a car with higher PIS and a pull off RPM of 1400-1600 should have a higher reading. The lower number will want to buck easier the higher number will normally pull away better. But use this number with a grain of salt.

There is a fair amount of over heat time but even that number can not be trusted much.

Thanks brother. That's pretty much what I wanted to confirm. They have driven the car and have confirmed no chatter. No issues. I just wanted to get an unbiased opinion. I will have them reset and go from there. Clutch is at 83% so should be good. While I have ur ear...what all is included in the "10k mile service"?

Here are the deterioration index readings from all the E-gear snapshots

taken over the course of 5.5 years and 75k miles with my G 2008 SL:

12000 -- reading right after a new TCU was installed (after the original one failed)

As you can see, the numbers bounce around a lot.

Perhaps with a long-term trend from ~18k towards ~15k.

So far the deterioration index doesn't seem to correlate with anything

else that's visible in my snapshots.

Thx for the input Lautlos. I wish it was more of an exact science. Hell even a visible percent shown in the gauge cluster would be nice!!