Wireless network question

Rawr

So a few days ago my computer can't connect to wireless, stuck in Limited mode. Troubleshoot says - "wireless connection doesn't have a valid ip configuration". i've uninstalled the driver, put valid settings from another laptop I have, I've uninstalled Bonjour, i've put netsh commands.. still nada. The USB connection I could use to tether also stopped working.

Anyone knows what else to try?

Cheers

So a few days ago my computer can't connect to wireless, stuck in Limited mode. Troubleshoot says - "wireless connection doesn't have a valid ip configuration". i've uninstalled the driver, put valid settings from another laptop I have, I've uninstalled Bonjour, i've put netsh commands.. still nada. The USB connection I could use to tether also stopped working.

Anyone knows what else to try?

Cheers

Is this on one network or every network you try?

Have you tried setting the IP address manually. From what you stated it has a bad IP configuration. You may have disabled DHCP on the laptop.

Yes I've tried putting manual settings, nothing. What can I use to troubleshoot the card, to get more detailed info on where the error is?

Yes I've tried putting manual settings, nothing. What can I use to troubleshoot the card, to get more detailed info on where the error is?

Couple of things to try:

If you manually configure the IP address, can you ping anything at all? Can you ping yourself or the default gateway?

If you use a wired connection, does it work ok?

If you can ping yourself and the gateway, can you ping an outside ip address like 8.8.8.8?

That should get you started to see if it's the card itself, or a dns issue, etc.

Couple of things to try:

If you manually configure the IP address, can you ping anything at all? Can you ping yourself or the default gateway?

If you use a wired connection, does it work ok?

If you can ping yourself and the gateway, can you ping an outside ip address like 8.8.8.8?

That should get you started to see if it's the card itself, or a dns issue, etc.

I've attached the working laptop's config.

My question is where do I get the DNS values? I could only enter the 8.8.8.8 as other stuff doesn't fit.

So I've entered what I could for IPv4, no dice. When I ping the ip, says "general failure" sent = 4, received 0.

post-11867-1428090883_thumb.png

Another very peculiar thing is that not only USB tether doesn't recognize the iphone being plugged in, but ITUNES doesn't either. The pc recognizes the iphone and i can go into the folders, so this is really weird.

The host (wireless router, cable modem, etc.) should be providing this stuff (DNS server values, IP address) to your client (laptop) automatically. Be sure that the wireless network that you're trying to access isn't MAC filtering to prevent unauthorized access. Did this laptop that you're having trouble with ever access this particular network successfully?

The host (wireless router, cable modem, etc.) should be providing this stuff (DNS server values, IP address) to your client (laptop) automatically. Be sure that the wireless network that you're trying to access isn't MAC filtering to prevent unauthorized access. Did this laptop that you're having trouble with ever access this particular network successfully?

Laptop doesn't connect to any network, I've tried numerous.

Solved. Comodo internet security was the culprit. Uninstalled it and everything worked great since.

I guess if you couldn't access the internet at all, it was doing its job of keeping you secure. :eusa_dance:

Glad you figured it out!

So a couple of things. I would change your DNS server address away from 8.8.8.8 and put it back to your default gateway address or to your ISP's address.

You could also disable your IPV6 info as I highly doubt you are using IPv6.