Hate when dogs get sick.

koenig928

Off to the vet for 10am to 10:30am appointment. Dropping him off because he needs sedation. To get blood, needed 3 people to hold him down. Even sick, he's a strong little bugger! They will be doing X-rays and getting a bone marrow sample. Hate to say hopefully, but I'm hoping for an autoimmune disease. Its treatable long term, cancer is more serious and less treatable.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks...... Dropped him off. Don't know how long this will take. Trying to take my mind off it for a bit. Guess cancer is slim, as it would have shown up in his blood tests.

Mixed diagnosis from the X-rays. Spots in the lungs. Its either cancer or fungal infection. I have a lot of squirrels in my yard and they carry infections like this. So now putting him under anesthetic and getting a biopsy from the lungs. Vets, there is three of them there, all leaning towards fungal infection. Still saying cancer should have showed up in the blood work. Hate hoping for one illness over another. Guess that's what I have to do.

Lung biopsy came back inconclusive. 50% its an infection from mold spurs or 50% chance its cancer. Tough decision, can try meds for infection and hope he gets better. If its cancer in the lungs, they could fail in the next week or sooner, not a good way to go. Have until tomorrow to decide. Humane thing or shoot the dice and try treatment.

Lung biopsy came back inconclusive. 50% its an infection from mold spurs or 50% chance its cancer. Tough decision, can try meds for infection and hope he gets better. If its cancer in the lungs, they could fail in the next week or sooner, not a good way to go. Have until tomorrow to decide. Humane thing or shoot the dice and try treatment.

Id treat for mold... Youll know within a few days if thats it.

I'm leaning to try treatment. It would bother me forever not trying even if its a slim chance.

What do they want you to put him on?

What do they want you to put him on?

Not sure yet. Forgot what they said. Headed out to pick them up in a few minutes.

Sporanox. Its an infection carried by a wide selection of wild animals all of which I have in my backyard. Still a long shot, but better then nothing.

Sporanox. Its an infection carried by a wide selection of wild animals all of which I have in my backyard. Still a long shot, but better then nothing.

Ok... Sporonox is the name brand and expensive as fcuk... Generic is Itraconazole. I have some ::I think:: if you want them?

Ok... Sporonox is the name brand and expensive as fcuk... Generic is Itraconazole. I have some ::I think:: if you want them?

I have a good supply, thanks. They don't have the generic in Canada. Yes, it was pricey.

The good news is he's better then yesterday. But he was also recovering from sedatives and anesthetics, after doing the x-rays and lung biopsy. His last surgeries it took him two days of rest to shake off the effects. His condition has improved a little but not really improved. If that makes sense. His appetite is still very high. He is still going to the bathroom. He also wants attention. All good signs. I'm however not convinced the meds are working. He is just stable and at the same point as before the x-rays and biopsy.

The good news is he's better then yesterday. But he was also recovering from sedatives and anesthetics, after doing the x-rays and lung biopsy. His last surgeries it took him two days of rest to shake off the effects. His condition has improved a little but not really improved. If that makes sense. His appetite is still very high. He is still going to the bathroom. He also wants attention. All good signs. I'm however not convinced the meds are working. He is just stable and at the same point as before the x-rays and biopsy.

If it's fungal, the first week is critical... He may get worse before he gets better.

He seemed to get better over the weekend and then went downhill starting yesterday. The vet re-tested the sample and it came back cancer. Cancer is very rough to treat. So made the decision to give up. He passed away this afternoon. Can't believe he is gone. He would have been seven in August.

He seemed to get better over the weekend and then went downhill starting yesterday. The vet re-tested the sample and it came back cancer. Cancer is very rough to treat. So made the decision to give up. He passed away this afternoon. Can't believe he is gone. He would have been seven in August.

Sorry for your loss.

Thanks. More just plain sad and in shock at the moment. Seven years is far too short. Out of four dogs in 16 years, he was my favorite.

Despite the sadness, my house is too empty without a dog. Decided to get another sooner then latter. Deciding if another Rottweiler is in the future. Just get a shelter mutt or switch breeds all together.

Problem with pure breed dogs is you can double up on both good and bad genetics. Hence some breeds have a large amount of cancer to hip problems.

Sorry to hear. My roommates gf's dog is older but he is quickly nearing the end. I dread the day I have to deal with this.