Replacing door push button Key lock cylinder

215mph

Hello,

I need some support. I am replacing my door push button on the drivers side as the key surround is cracked (Common occurrence with Diablos). I have the button removed but I cannot seem to figure out how to remove the Key cylinder so I may insert it into the new button surround. Can someone who has done this before tell me how to remove the Key Lock Cylinder?

Thanks

I can't help but I'm sure someone will know because I think people have replaced with the carbon ones unless that is only the hand grips

Ok, here ya go...

The key should be inserted into the cylinder. Take the assembly in hand and insert a small screwdriver into the slot pictured.

Your goal is to push the tab/pin inward such that it no longer is allowed to lock into its slot and the entire cylinder is free to rotate up and out of its hole (by pulling on the key). The tab is spring-loaded. It might take a little fiddling around, but it's ultimately pretty easy. It's just hard to see that little tab buried deep in the dark slot at first and you may need to turn the key/cylinder in order to get it into a position where it can be seen and accessed.

Diablo_lock_cylinder02.JPG

Diablo_lock_cylinder04.JPG

Diablo_lock_cylinder03.JPG

This is the little devil once it's exposed.

Diablo_lock_cylinder01.JPG

Ok, here ya go...

The key should be inserted into the cylinder. Take the assembly in hand and insert a small screwdriver into the slot pictured.

Your goal is to push the tab/pin inward such that it no longer is allowed to lock into its slot and the entire cylinder is free to rotate up and out of its hole (by pulling on the key). The tab is spring-loaded. It might take a little fiddling around, but it's ultimately pretty easy. It's just hard to see that little tab buried deep in the dark slot at first and you may need to turn the key/cylinder in order to get it into a position where it can be seen and accessed.

post-25074-1431659619_thumb.jpg

post-25074-1431659580_thumb.jpg

post-25074-1431659638_thumb.jpg

This is the little devil once it's exposed.

post-25074-1431659651_thumb.jpg

Thank you I will try this. I should have the new housing delivered shortly. I will pull the cylinder out as described when the new part arrives.

Are you installing a factory Lambo spare part? I have noticed that about 95% of Diablos have this problem regarding cracking (not sure about the 6.0). I had spoken to the Imperiale body shop (Mirandola Italy) and they said that the regulation of the button is not the easiest thing to do. Very interesting to hear that if it is an original part if the cracks re-appear.

The 6.0's crack as well. I believe 99% of the Diablo's have the same problem. There weren't too many Diablo's at the Grande Giro 2 years ago and of all the ones I checked (nearly all of them), everyone had cracked ones.

Some opt for the easy/quick fix - to fill the fracks with an apoxy which permits a minimum of movement and paint. Since most Diablo drives use the remote the keys will not scratch.

Fantastic just as presented it the pic an easy fix. Took me all of a minute to figure it out and pop the cylinder out :icon_super:

Lastly, I never use the key and I know exactly when it happened. I was at a show and the Diablo was in the sun. I parked it and during the course of the day it cracked. It definitely was the heat.

Thanks

The real award goes to you for managing to get the sucker out of there without complaining since those little 8mm nuts that secure it are pretty tucked up in there around a bunch of hardware bits and tough angles. The next challenge comes in reinstalling it!!

The real award goes to you for managing to get the sucker out of there without complaining since those little 8mm nuts that secure it are pretty tucked up in there around a bunch of hardware bits and tough angles. The next challenge comes in reinstalling it!!

I did drop one in the door sill but I was able to retrieve it with a magnet!!

...I think people have replaced with the carbon ones unless that is only the hand grips

Grips and Buttons. The handkerchief needs to match the tie!

DSC01872c.jpg

I dig the carbon bits for the later cars and roadsters where it started to gain traction anyway, but just barely seems to look out of place on the older Diablos.