Kawasaki Ninja

RobberBaron

I think that saying safety courses teaching people nothing is quite a stretch. Though I think the classes may be different from state to state. The classes I took in Oregon were excellent. For people who have never ridden a motorcycle, it isn't going to be necessarily inherent in them to understand things like covering the clutch, don't GRAB the brake, not stabbing the rear, looking through corners, how target fixation works, etc etc. Those are good things to learn about, and the classes I took all taught them. People don't immediately know these kinds of habits, and those are the types of things safety school teaches. At least the school I took in my state did. It was an entire weekend and they worked very hard to watch people, look at bad habits, help them weed them out, promote good riding habits, that way they could react properly and understand a good set of basics before they took off.

I think superbike school is an amazing idea and an excellent suggestion, but I think deterring people who have never rode a motorcycle before from taking a safety class to tell them it will teach them nothing is pretty silly. I've watched a lot of people come out of those classes with a lot more knowledge than they thought they had, and much better habits.

Now, the DMV tests on the other hand, those tend to be bullshit. "Hey, bring your bike and navigate through some cones. Ok good, you made it through the cones. You clearly are competent enough to ride a motorcycle on the street once you pass some basic writing questions."

:iamwithstupid:

There are so many things drivers take for granted that the basic rider safety course teaches you when you want to transition to 2 wheels.

I agree the track will improve a riders skill immeasurably, but without knowing simple things like lane positioning, how deadly left turning cars are, how slick painted road markings are when wet, etc... the new rider might now survive long enough to worry about improving their riding skills.

I think that saying safety courses teaching people nothing is quite a stretch. Though I think the classes may be different from state to state. The classes I took in Oregon were excellent. For people who have never ridden a motorcycle, it isn't going to be necessarily inherent in them to understand things like covering the clutch, don't GRAB the brake, not stabbing the rear, looking through corners, how target fixation works, etc etc. Those are good things to learn about, and the classes I took all taught them. People don't immediately know these kinds of habits, and those are the types of things safety school teaches. At least the school I took in my state did. It was an entire weekend and they worked very hard to watch people, look at bad habits, help them weed them out, promote good riding habits, that way they could react properly and understand a good set of basics before they took off.

I think superbike school is an amazing idea and an excellent suggestion, but I think deterring people who have never rode a motorcycle before from taking a safety class to tell them it will teach them nothing is pretty silly. I've watched a lot of people come out of those classes with a lot more knowledge than they thought they had, and much better habits.

Now, the DMV tests on the other hand, those tend to be bullshit. "Hey, bring your bike and navigate through some cones. Ok good, you made it through the cones. You clearly are competent enough to ride a motorcycle on the street once you pass some basic writing questions."

Let me rephrase. Safety courses aren't going to teach you much. Especially skills needed to avoid a sudden problem.

Those outrigger bikes are pretty rad, not gonna lie.

Yes. This is the only way are you going to get to lean a bike and work on body position with no consequences and the same for braking as hard as you want with no consequences so you can learn the correct way and feeling for both. Great tools

Don't you need some experience before taking a course like that, or do they have track courses for beginners?

I was going to ask the same thing.

I think it's ok, or at most I can see them wanting a few weeks of riding experience.

Yes. This is the only way are you going to get to lean a bike and work on body position with no consequences and the same for braking as hard as you want with no consequences so you can learn the correct way and feeling for both. Great tools

So awesome.

Money and/or travel issues aside, no excuses IMHO for not taking these if you're serious about being a good rider.

Let me rephrase. Safety courses aren't going to teach you much. Especially skills needed to avoid a sudden problem.
Hubby and I took the motorcycle safety class when we decided to start riding.

We rode dirt bikes in our teens. Mine was a Bultaco 250 Alpina and I loved it. Never street legal - only road off road.

Now we have lots of friends addicted to riding and decided to take the class to see what it's all about. Decided to get some bikes although we are finished with riding because of his back (surgeon says no more motorcycle for him and I'm not gonna ride if he can't).

We learned a great deal from the safety course, including swerve to avoid objects and threshold braking for panic stops. Granted - these drills were from lower speeds in a parking lot - but they taught the fundamentals.

I agree with comments about taking a track course (starting at beginner level and advance from there). One local dealer in our area sponsored two track days per year and they'd segregate riders into groups and offer instruction. Only positive feedback from these events.

I also agree that no matter how good you are - people in cars/trucks can be oblivious. The only way to survive:

1. Assume that no other vehicle sees you. Drive as though you are invisible to others because many times - you are.

2. Practice skills - don't become complacent just because nothing bad happens.

3. FOCUS when riding. It's like any other sport that requires intense focus to do it well (shooting, track driving, etc). If you start daydreaming or become distracted on your bike - it can spell disaster.

For me it was almost like meditation - I became so focused while riding that it was a vacation from any other thought or problem in my life. It's intense and it should be. While riding I believe you can't afford to get distracted with anything else. (BTW I have friends who ride with cell phones wired into helmets along with music. I'd NEVER do that - too distracting).

Good luck

Solid thread.

OP wants a Ninja 300 to learn properly not a fat tired Busa.

Super bike school getting much deserved attention.

Love it.

Good luck with whatever you choose; I've had a few Kwackers over the years & they've all been good bikes.

Just bear in mind that having crashed both cars & bikes in 30-odd years of driving/riding, the one that hurts the most is also the most fun; hell of a paradox, assume everyone else on the road will likely do something stupid.

Once the bug bites you, you'll find it hard to get rid of.