Help on tires...

alecela

Gents, I'm truly running out of options and would need your opinion:

Have an 03 Murcielago which the previous owner upgraded to 6 pot brembo brakes AND 19" wheels. I was told that due to the upgraded brakes, the stock 18" wheels does not have enough clearance for the brakes hence the 'need' for 19" wheels.

It's currently fitted with Yokohama S drive 245/30/19 front & Pirelli P zero 355/25/19 back and AWD intact.

Trouble is that the Pirelli are getting old and I've been looking all over the net and no luck!

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that either Michelin or Pirelli offered some sort of custom tire making?

Does anyone have any idea/lead? I suspect I'm not the only one with this kind of problem so what does veteran here do in such situation?

My other option is to change the front as well to: 245/35/19 & 345/30/19 but I'll be increasing the overall size by a bit (almost 30mm)...

You can run OEM Hercules or Hermera 18" wheels with those brakes.

Your current options:

Pilot Super Sport 255/35R19 & 345/30R19

PZero 255/35R19 & 355/30R19

Very interesting info. I never thought of that as I naturally thought that *all* 18" wheels would be too small for the brakes. I shall definitely look into this further.

While going back down to 18" is not ideal, I do like the look of Hermera and yes, I would save a LOT of headache on the tires.

Thanks for the tips.

Your current options:

Actually am I right that the LP670 do comes w/ 380mm brake disc? I just checked this morning and the front brakes I have are indeed 380mm w/ 8 pistons (8 pots)? If this is indeed the same size as LP670 then this would be rather encouraging.

Actually am I right that the LP670 do comes w/ 380mm brake disc? I just checked this morning and the front brakes I have are indeed 380mm w/ 8 pistons (8 pots)? If this is indeed the same size as LP670 then this would be rather encouraging.

Sounds like the same size brakes.

There is also a 6 piston 405mm Brembo kit out there.

Sounds like the same size brakes.

There is also a 6 piston 405mm Brembo kit out there.

Tx buddy! Actually digging deeper I noticed that 380mm (15") brakes were an optional item for LP640 so I would greatly appreciate if any fellow LP640 owners with 15" brakes confirm that Hercules/Hermera 18" would accommodate these brakes?

It would be a long shot to find any Hercules/Hermera around my neck of the wood so most likely I'll need to ship them in from oversea. Would really want to avoid the situation whereas I have a set of wheels/tires shipped to me just to find that it doesn't fit...

Tx buddy! Actually digging deeper I noticed that 380mm (15") brakes were an optional item for LP640 so I would greatly appreciate if any fellow LP640 owners with 15" brakes confirm that Hercules/Hermera 18" would accommodate these brakes?

It would be a long shot to find any Hercules/Hermera around my neck of the wood so most likely I'll need to ship them in from oversea. Would really want to avoid the situation whereas I have a set of wheels/tires shipped to me just to find that it doesn't fit...

Actually went down to my mechanics and thoroughly checked out the brakes:

20151020.JPG

Would appreciate all you experts here can confirm whether Hercules or Hermera or BOTH wheels can accommodate these 380mm (15") brakes & 8 pots caliper. I'm seriously thinking of going in this direction so your help would be much appreciated.

Your current options:

Nick, thanks again for the help on these 19" tire selection. Actually your excellent suggestion reminds me of the absolute need to look at the tire manufacturer/pattern and most importantly the exact diameters! I noticed quite a variance even within the same series!!!

The Michelin PSS combo does sound promising. What do you think about Pilot Super Sport 245/35/19 + Pilot Super Sport 345/30/19? The difference would be 27.2in (PSS 345/30/19) - 25.8in (PSS 245/35/19) = 1.4in, still within the tolerance band but overall I'll increase the front overall diameter by 1in from factory spec as opposed to 1.2in by using PSS 255/35/19? My rationale is to minimize the overall increase in diameter from the factory spec....

The Pirelli setup is interesting. Looking at tirerack, I noticed that even WITHIN Pirelli P zero pattern, for 25/35/19 they have 25.4", 26" & 26.2" diameters, which is a bit of a surprise for me. Having said that, the overall increase in diameters from factory spec. would be more than Michelin so I probably prefer to go w/ Michelin.

Yeah, most important is the exact diameters of the tire.

If the 245 works and there are aspects of it you like more, go for it. The change in diameter over factory spec won't have a huge impact. The 255 would help with front end grip in turns over the more narrow tire, but the sidewall might look a little meaty/bulging.

Yeah, most important is the exact diameters of the tire.

If the 245 works and there are aspects of it you like more, go for it. The change in diameter over factory spec won't have a huge impact. The 255 would help with front end grip in turns over the more narrow tire, but the sidewall might look a little meaty/bulging.

Hey Nick, since you're hot in this thread, what's your opinion of Michelin PS2, on OEM Murcie wheels. Will their diameter burn a front diff? I've been told they might.

Op sorry to derail

PS2 need 2WD.

BFG & Pirelli are all that work with AWD.

Can you explain why PS2 won't work?

I'm running them now and unless I'm crazy, I haven't seen any other signs of an issue.

I'm running them now and unless I'm crazy, I haven't seen any other signs of an issue.

Specifically on the Murcie the diameter is the wrong size based on the gearing and causes a too much slippage and can kill your front diff.

PS2 need 2WD.

BFG & Pirelli are all that work with AWD.

Thanks Nick (and for answering my PM). From what I can see online, the BFGs aren't available anymore. Still looking though, but nothing came upon their site.

Joe

Are you running 245/35/18 vs 335/30/18?

Actually I've also heard similar comments from the local official dealer. Apparently they swear by Pirelli do not recommend Michelin...

Looking at the specs. for Michelin PS2, according to TireRack, the 335/30/18 are listed w/ 25.9inch diameter and 245/35/18 got 24.8in. So the difference is slightly beyond the range, which could potentially be dangerous to the front differential. And PS2 does NOT offer 235/35/18.

That's my take. Whiteout please feel free to corret/elaborate further.

Specifically on the Murcie the diameter is the wrong size based on the gearing and causes a too much slippage and can kill your front diff.

This.

I have a set of PS2's in storage from a member who had diff overheating.

Thanks Nick (and for answering my PM). From what I can see online, the BFGs aren't available anymore. Still looking though, but nothing came upon their site.

Joe

Glad to help.

I wasn't sure if BFG was still making the tires, but threw it out there just in case.

• 2 weeks later...
Gents, I'm truly running out of options and would need your opinion:

Have an 03 Murcielago which the previous owner upgraded to 6 pot brembo brakes AND 19" wheels. I was told that due to the upgraded brakes, the stock 18" wheels does not have enough clearance for the brakes hence the 'need' for 19" wheels.

It's currently fitted with Yokohama S drive 245/30/19 front & Pirelli P zero 355/25/19 back and AWD intact.

Trouble is that the Pirelli are getting old and I've been looking all over the net and no luck!

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that either Michelin or Pirelli offered some sort of custom tire making?

Does anyone have any idea/lead? I suspect I'm not the only one with this kind of problem so what does veteran here do in such situation?

My other option is to change the front as well to: 245/35/19 & 345/30/19 but I'll be increasing the overall size by a bit (almost 30mm)...

An update for those who cares:

one of my tire guys got a set of AutoArt 18" modular wheels that was previously installed on an LP640 w/ front ceramic brakes and it's a no go for my car. Apparently the caliper is a tad too far from the wheel wall that even though the wheel can cover the 15" disc brake & the caliper, i.e. the offset is not large enough! :-( So now I'm suspecting even the OEM Hermera/Hercules wheels might have the same problem. I'm still trying to borrow a set of those to know for sure. But going back to 18" wheels doesn't look that good even though that's not my preference.

An update for those who cares:

one of my tire guys got a set of AutoArt 18" modular wheels that was previously installed on an LP640 w/ front ceramic brakes and it's a no go for my car. Apparently the caliper is a tad too far from the wheel wall that even though the wheel can cover the 15" disc brake & the caliper, i.e. the offset is not large enough! :-( So now I'm suspecting even the OEM Hermera/Hercules wheels might have the same problem. I'm still trying to borrow a set of those to know for sure. But going back to 18" wheels doesn't look that good even though that's not my preference.

Why not run a small spacer?

Why not run a small spacer?

I thought about it but given how 'tight' my current front wheels/tires are filling the space and the amount of additional offset needed, I'm not sure that's feasible. A picture for your reference:

iP6__9980_.jpg

Your car looks great.

You should mock up the new wheels and see how far out they have to stick to clear the calipers. A 5mm-8mm spacer wouldn't make a big difference looks wise, but might give you the clearance for the brakes.

How does one discover their diff over heats?

The front diff light would come on the dash.

I have 245/35/18 and 335/30/18 Michelin Ps2 and my LP640 doesn't have any issues. It is fine.

Around 5% difference front to back is ideal.

25.9(rear tire diameter)/24.8 (front tire diameter)= 4.3-4.4% difference depending which way you do the math.

What happens when it overhearts? Its cooking the fluid in the front diff. The visicous coupler will heat up faster and cause more power to be sent to the front by locking up quicker. I've never seen this happen but thats the theory.

The murcielago is about the same as the Gallardo in terms of tire difference and I've gone 5-6% without any issues.