DIY: Any one else try this great Ford transmission oil?

Stimpy

So I've been having the common cold shifting issues since I got the Murci a month ago, and I have been trying different fluids to see what works best.

I think it's safe to say the fluid that I first drained from the box was factory original given how dark it looked (car has 10K miles).

I tried Red Line MT90 first, and it definitely made shifting better, but it's not known to be a good cold fluid, so while it helped cold shifting, it didn't help that much.

Next I tried the Motul 300V, and it was just as bad as the factory fill if not worse. Never again.

After a lot of Googles, I found people raving about a Ford fluid for fixing cold shift issues just like mine: XT-M5-QS Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid

I put it in, and immediately from driving away from my house, the shifting issues disappeared! The gearbox is now great cold and warm now with no issues getting into second or third when cold.

The nice part is that it meets the specs for our gearbox of 75W-90 and GL-4. Many say not to use GL-5, and a lot of the fluids are GL-4/5, so it makes me feel more comfortable that this is not a GL-5 spec.

Has anyone else tried it? I have to agree with some of the other forum posters that it's the equivalent of Unicorn sperm for transmissions.

The reviews on Amazon are typical of what people say about this fluid:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NUES82/ref=as...ASIN=B000NUES82

Motorcraft® Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid

Usage

Particularly recommended for MTX-75 and IB5 transmissions

Also recommended for older transmissions, including rear-wheel-drive transmissions that recommend GL-3 and GL-4 type gear oils

Features

Premium-quality gear oil recommended by Ford Motor Company

An SAE 75W-90 gear oil manufacturedwith synthetic base oils and performance additives, which can provide improved gear shifting at all ambient temperatures

Wear protection extends the life of synchronizers and bearings

Meets Ford Motor Company fill-for-life requirements with its excellent thermal, oxidative and shear stability

Offers reduced friction and optimal lubrication

Meets warranty requirements

Available in cases of 12 one-quart bottles

2004 Murcielago, 6 spd

Thanks for the post. I just ordered some from my local Ford dealer for my 6spd manual LP640. It shifts good all the time but after your review, I might as well do it with the next oil change! :) Thanks!

Thanks for the post. I just ordered some from my local Ford dealer for my 6spd manual LP640. It shifts good all the time but after your review, I might as well do it with the next oil change! :) Thanks!

You're welcome. I just ordered some more to put in my Lotus Esprit this weekend. Red Line made the Esprit shift better, so I am expecting even better shifting with this Magic Ford Stuff.

Mobil 1 0W40 changed my car.

I'm looking to do this as well as an added bonus.

Anyone have a link on a DIY to change the tranny fluid?

How did Mobil 1 change your car?

Do you have manual or egear?

How did Mobil 1 change your car?

Do you have manual or egear?

Same as you but 2003. Engine runs quieter. Oil temps are lower. Engine revs more freely. I'm your twin in Houston.

Wow Mobil 1 0w40 in a Murci? How is your oil pressure? My Gallardo loved 5w40 but the Murci I find loves the heavy stuff... Like 15w50

Once warmed up and driven a little it idles at the 1st notch. Driving around a just over 2K RPM maybe 6 BAR.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-108/

I've been reading all of this guys posts and I'm a believer. He runs 0w30... I'm not that adventurous yet. Also the car 100% starts better from cold.

When it comes to oil, I stick with factory recommendation. Unless you are in sub zero weather, a thin oil may not be good.

It's an argument to go on until the end of time... Very hard to prove what's really better with so many variables.