Coolant Split Pipe

Gareth

Hi

When driving my 03 Murci on the weekend I suddenly got a lot of steam pouring out of the engine cover. Stopped and lots of coolant draining onto the road. Got towed home. Looks like a split pipe, back of engine, runs vertically, fabric/rubber style, has a heat shield to protect it (!), I can only see the top of the pipe. Anyone had experience of changing this? If so is it worth replacing with silicon, anyone got dimensions? Do I need to get the car on a ramp to get at the bottom part of the hose?

Cheers for any advice,

Gareth

Hi

When driving my 03 Murci on the weekend I suddenly got a lot of steam pouring out of the engine cover. Stopped and lots of coolant draining onto the road. Got towed home. Looks like a split pipe, back of engine, runs vertically, fabric/rubber style, has a heat shield to protect it (!), I can only see the top of the pipe. Anyone had experience of changing this? If so is it worth replacing with silicon, anyone got dimensions? Do I need to get the car on a ramp to get at the bottom part of the hose?

Cheers for any advice,

Gareth

Pics of this hose? Some of the hoses are already silicon. If the hose is molded in shape, it's probably best to buy the official part from one of the discount Lambo vendors if it's not too crazy in price.

I had that happen to me, shop fixed the hose because I had no clue which one broke and I was pissed. It's a straight piece of hose that you can get from an auto parts store. You might just want to lay down on top of the engine to get to it.

here's a picture of the hose during an engine out service on my LP640 (clamped shut):

F2927A77-EDDC-4467-B9DB-4C7FF8DCE1C9_zps

here's when the hose broke on my 2002:

277BF365-DB5D-4D41-9BC4-ACB7C683E54D_zps

I had that happen to me, shop fixed the hose because I had no clue which one broke and I was pissed. It's a straight piece of hose that you can get from an auto parts store. You might just want to lay down on top of the engine to get to it.

here's a picture of the hose during an engine out service on my LP640 (clamped shut):

F2927A77-EDDC-4467-B9DB-4C7FF8DCE1C9_zps

here's when the hose broke on my 2002:

277BF365-DB5D-4D41-9BC4-ACB7C683E54D_zps

Is this the same one I texted you about? It's in the back passenger side.

I've actually replaced both now. The top one got a tiny crack and I did it myself (with Nick's help!), wasn't too bad after you take off the carbon fiber liner. The bottom one got a little crack in it more recently and that one's a beast to replace; had to take off the passenger side rocker as it runs the length of the car.

Thanks guys, I think it is #21 on that diagram. That photo is very helpful too- I think that is the option, lying on the engine! I'll let you know how I get on! Thx

Is this the same one I texted you about? It's in the back passenger side.

I've actually replaced both now. The top one got a tiny crack and I did it myself (with Nick's help!), wasn't too bad after you take off the carbon fiber liner. The bottom one got a little crack in it more recently and that one's a beast to replace; had to take off the passenger side rocker as it runs the length of the car.

This is the hose that runs from the engine to the coolant overflow tank (front right of engine bay.) Jesus, that lower hose sounds awful.

This is the hose that runs from the engine to the coolant overflow tank (front right of engine bay.) Jesus, that lower hose sounds awful.

This hose went on my car when it was under waranty.

I think they said the hose or maybe the clamps had been updated, I do remember them telling me what a pita it was to change.

This hose went on my car when it was under waranty.

I think they said the hose or maybe the clamps had been updated, I do remember them telling me what a pita it was to change.

What year is your car? And how old was it when the hose went? It sounds like it didn't last very long...

What year is your car? And how old was it when the hose went? It sounds like it didn't last very long...

It's a 2008 and I think it went in the first 18 months.

It's a 2008 and I think it went in the first 18 months.

I guess I better add it to the preventative maintenance list... That's pretty sad for it to fail so quickly.

• 4 weeks later...

After messing around moving one car off the lift and trying for the first time to get the murci on to see if u could get at it from below, the easiest was is definitely to remove the carbon fibre t piece that sits in the v, 7mm spanner and practice being a gynaecologist! I had to lie on the engine, even had to put contact lenses in as I couldn't get my head in the space to see with my glasses on(!!), easiest to loosen off the clamps fully. The pipe was really knackered, the split was 2-3 inches long! Any way it took about 7l of coolant so I'd lost quite a bit- back on the road so nearly 3 hrs and £25 quid well spent. Thanks for the advice!

After messing around moving one car off the lift and trying for the first time to get the murci on to see if u could get at it from below, the easiest was is definitely to remove the carbon fibre t piece that sits in the v, 7mm spanner and practice being a gynaecologist! I had to lie on the engine, even had to put contact lenses in as I couldn't get my head in the space to see with my glasses on(!!), easiest to loosen off the clamps fully. The pipe was really knackered, the split was 2-3 inches long! Any way it took about 7l of coolant so I'd lost quite a bit- back on the road so nearly 3 hrs and £25 quid well spent. Thanks for the advice!

Thanks for the follow up with details on the best way to change the hose!

I am mentally preparing to do a big hose overhaul as the next big project on this car. I want to change all the lift hoses as well as these errant coolant hoses. The coolant and power steering/lift hoses seem to the be the #1 reason to be stuck on the side of the road with a manual Murci.