Upgrade bolts on on late model Brembo brake hats

Stimpy

Some of you with late model Diablo's that have the same Brembo brakes as the early Murci's may find this thread useful:

http://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=78316

It made a big difference IMO to change the hex bolts to something much more attractive and it's an easy 10 min job per rotor once you already have the brakes apart for service.

While those do look marvelous, It just raised the question "how did you match strength"? That's kind of an important connection..

Some of you with late model Diablo's that have the same Brembo brakes as the early Murci's may find this thread useful:

http://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=78316

It made a big difference IMO to change the hex bolts to something much more attractive and it's an easy 10 min job per rotor once you already have the brakes apart for service.

While those do look marvelous, It just raised the question "how did you match strength"? That's kind of an important connection..

It's a good question, but your answer is already in that thread I posted.

Basically all bolts are graded for strength, and you match the strength or exceed it. Take a look at your stock bolts, you will see 10.9 stamped on them. That's the strength.

10.9 is medium strength, and I think it's more than needed for this application. The bolts are only tightened to around 10 ft/lbs, which is nothing, but I still matched the 10.9.

It's a good question, but your answer is already in that thread I posted.

Basically all bolts are graded for strength, and you match the strength or exceed it. Take a look at your stock bolts, you will see 10.9 stamped on them. That's the strength.

10.9 is medium strength, and I think it's more than needed for this application. The bolts are only tightened to around 10 ft/lbs, which is nothing, but I still matched the 10.9.

Yea- sorry, I must admit that i did not go and read much further than "Home Depot Bolts" lol.

10.9's are similar to US Grade 8's it looks like.... 132ksi vs 130ksi.. for min yield.. good good. Just checkin' ;-) I have seen some people just grab any old bolt and throw it "here or there" which.. well, in a lot of cases= meh. But brake hats? I'll pipe up ;-)

Edit--

I should have read the thread.. You had this. It was late... i was groggy.. I saw the pretty bolts and home depot. My fault my faul.. ;-)

Yea- sorry, I must admit that i did not go and read much further than "Home Depot Bolts" lol.

10.9's are similar to US Grade 8's it looks like.... 132ksi vs 130ksi.. for min yield.. good good. Just checkin' ;-) I have seen some people just grab any old bolt and throw it "here or there" which.. well, in a lot of cases= meh. But brake hats? I'll pipe up ;-)

Edit--

I should have read the thread.. You had this. It was late... i was groggy.. I saw the pretty bolts and home depot. My fault my faul.. ;-)

No worries. I am used to it. You have to be on the interweb. I have been obsessing and working on all types of cars for close to 40 years now, I have an electrical engineering degree from a prestigious university, and I worked on the oil rigs doing the highly technical jobs all over the world -- so I have a clue, but other people on the internet don't know that and they have to assume the guy writing the post is a complete idiot, because lets face it, most of the time they are! LOL

Looks good :icon_thumleft:

ARP also sells bolts in black chromoly or stainless steel with 12 point heads pre-drilled for safety wire, if you want to go full racecar. :eusa_dance: They are not cheap though, $3-6 per bolt iirc.

Looks good :icon_thumleft:

ARP also sells bolts in black chromoly or stainless steel with 12 point heads pre-drilled for safety wire, if you want to go full racecar. :eusa_dance: They are not cheap though, $3-6 per bolt iirc.

That's a good suggestion. I was in a bind because I was trying to do it all at once, which meant take apart the brakes, pull a bolt to get the specs, and then get bolts locally to finish the job without waiting for bolts to be shipped in. But now that I have posted the full specs, others can order the bolts ahead of time.