Backpack fall trip: Mt. Jefferson

Kerplop

So, my girlfriend and I have bought some pretty good gear. I even have a really kickass shell, and my bag is rated to 15F. So, cold is not a problem. Her tent is pretty old, and supposed to be water proof, but unfortunately, the weather that hit us when we woke up was so bad and so windy, we couldn't keep dry.

Even our shells got completely soaked.

Regardless, we made it to Jefferson park, though we didn't quite make it to a dayhike to the summit like we wanted, we still managed to make it to the wilderness area.

1.jpg

The hike begins, we've got quite a ways to go.

3.jpg

At this point, Mt. Jefferson is pretty far away. But, we'll get there.

4.jpg

Halfway through, we end up hitting the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail) on our way to Jefferson Park.

6.jpg

Getting closer

7.jpg

fcuking hell it's beautiful out here.

8.jpg

Finally at Jefferson park, probably a good 6 miles in or so.

11.jpg

Our camping spot at Bays Lake. If you ever go to Jefferson Park, this is probably the most gorgeous spot you can get.

12.jpg

13.jpg

The girlfriend's dog, part sheperd, part husky, part malamute... and always wants to play fetch with the biggest fcuking stick he can find. Err.... log.

15.jpg

Night fall at Jefferson Park. Full moon. Watching the moon come up while it was quiet as could be outside was peaceful, beautiful, and astonishing over Bays Lake. As I looked at the side of Mt. Jefferson I noticed someone coming down from the summit, as the moon rose. I could see a headlamp, someoen was VERY late from summiting. We heard no missing hiker stuff but took note of it. It was probably 10:30pm at this point when we saw it. Cold.

18.jpg

Then we woke up, and ohhhhh shit. 30mph winds with 40mph gusts and rain like you wouldn't believe. At first, we toughed it out till about noon, hoping it would get better. Out here, you risk hypothermia, and it can set in quickly if you don't stay warm. We use down bags, because they are light weight and good for very good cold weather (again, mine is 15F rated). However, once down is wet, it's useless.

20.jpg

The weather didn't let up, kept getting worse, the tend was leaking, and our equipment would no doubt get wet overnight. No need to risk it, time to pull out. (that's what she said)

Heyyyy it's rainy as fcuk.

21.jpg

The rain is so heavy at this point, and the mist and humidity is so crazy, you can't see far out into the forest at all, let alone the mountain. But... the aroma is beautiful, and oddly enough, we're both full of energy and loving it. Moving along, great pace, warm, happy, but wet as hell.

22.jpg

23.jpg

We're absolutely soaking wet at this point. No stopping, gotta keep core temp up and stay warm. Plenty of layers to keep us warm, but we're very very wet. The rain is even worse.

25.jpg

I couldn't help but stop and stare at some of the Douglas Fir trees. Here for generations and generations, enormous and just crazy to see some of them so huge in person. While I wanted to take more pics, the weather made it to where we had to keep our packs under rain cover, bags and keep our equipment dry. My gloves were wet and I couldn't even navigate it.

I enjoy sharing these experiences though in hopes that others will want to come try it someday and see just how beautiful nature is. This is the last photo I got from Jefferson.

27.jpg

Those pictures are beautiful! How did the pup hold up with all of the rain? I've always wanted to do something like this. Maybe one day I will.

I really need to spend more time in your neck of the woods.

Just saw The Revenant last night, instantly thought of a bear attacking me randomly in the woods in your position :(

Those pictures are beautiful! How did the pup hold up with all of the rain? I've always wanted to do something like this. Maybe one day I will.

The pup did great. My girlfriend even bought him a shell. But when it started raining, he was sleeping under the vestibule of the tent. Once he got going with us we put his shell on, he was rockin', we on the other hand were pretty tired and wet lol.

I really need to spend more time in your neck of the woods.

Just saw The Revenant last night, instantly thought of a bear attacking me randomly in the woods in your position :(

I've seen bear shit at our last camp site at 3 finger jack, but black bears are realllllly rarely seen, and are pretty chicken when it comes to people. They're different from grizzlies. Stay near trails and populated areas and it's unlikely you'll ever see one, and if you do it probably won't want anything to do with you except get away because it's scared.

The really great thing about 3 finger jack is that during the late summer to early fall there are huckleberries EVERYWHERE and you can just pick them and go as you go along your hike or backpacking trip. Nature's little treat. I'm actually more terrified of dealing with a cougar than any bear. The older cougars have had enough exposure they might stalk or curiously entertain checking people out, but is really really rare they ever have a confrontation. Juveniles on the other hand... there was a juvenile cougar up along the trail to smith rock that attacked someone's dog, and the guy put the cougar down.

If you're in a group you're good, with a dog you're almost certainly fine, and juvenile cougars are small, maybe 50lbs. My girlfriend's dog is about 100-110lbs, usually even people on the trail steer clear of us haha.

Awesome pics Derek! Thanks for sharing the experience with us.

I was pretty outdoorsy when I was younger but haven't done anything in over a decade (even fell out of fishing, which was something I loved to do). Seeing your pics makes me want to get back into all of it again.

I used to ride ATVs with my dad and brother when I was younger. Looking at these pictures brought back memories of some of the views and things that you normally would not see. Nature really is beautiful if you take the time to look for it.