Fly in a "fighter" jet?

jtrump

The G's aren't going to make you sick. The combined mismatched inputs from your inner ear and visual references are probably what will make you sick. The average human has a static G tolerance between 4 and 5 G's (4.xx); i.e. how much G you can take just sitting there not doing anything without passing out. The problem is blood draining away from your brain, ultimately leading to unconsciousness ("G-LOC," G-induced Loss Of Consciousness). You can help prevent G-LOC by performing a physical straining maneuver similar to straining on the toilet...contracting all of your muscles on a periodic rhythm and stopping the strain in the back of your throat in an attempt to keep the blood up in the head by pressure (forming a "hick" or "hook" sound). The timing of the rhythm is key. Wearing a G-suit (a set of inflatable bladders that squeeze your body), is thought to give maybe 1-1.5 G of added tolerance, but there's not as much science to really nail down what it gives you. The Blue Angels actually don't wear G-suits because 1) they need to look cool, 2) the G-suit interferes with finesse control of the stick, and 3), they are in excellent physical condition and well trained in anti-G straining techniques. The Thunderbirds wear G-suits because they are wimps ;-).

However, the real killer with G-LOC is onset rate rather than total force. The quicker an airframe snaps on the G's, the more dangerous it can be because the occupant (be it at the controls or not) might not be as prepared as they could be. The blood is quickly and efficiently vacated from the skull. If you anticipate the G coming on, you can get ahead of it by pre-straining a few seconds prior. Some small propeller planes can actually snap the G on faster than a MiG-29. However, a MiG-29 can sustain A LOT of G for a greater amount of time, literally beating you down until you ease off or pass out. Flying a 4th or 5th Gen fighter is a highly athletic pursuit and can be quite violent to the unsuspecting guest flyer who thinks that it's supposed to be a video game. After my first full-up 1v1 fight in a jet, I dropped dead asleep for four hours, completely exhausted.

Shorter stockier people typically have higher static G tolerance than tall lanky people or thin-blooded long distance runners. But, in the end, it all comes down to training and experience and everyone can find a way to do it.

Very interesting stuff! Thanks for the insight! :)

did it and it was less enjoyable than I thought it would be. it was sickening cause I was there with a sik fuk who tried to make me throw up ..

Well that is disappointing to hear. :/ Sorry it wasn't what it was cracked up to be TS!