Latest Published Cannonball Solo Record - 25 Hours - 55 Minutes

Destructo

Add this to the 'bonkers list' of accomplishments.

One man, a rental car, extra fuel tanks and a solo run from New York to Los Angeles in 25 Hours 55 Minutes. Absolutely insane. Pretty good read on it on R&T, here.

img-9496-jpg-1592579103.jpg

There have been a lot of broken records lately with the whole lock-down and lack of traffic. Apparently there is an even shorter time, but hasn't come out yet. I'm not in the know like some people, but I've been a big Cannonball fan and the history of it all. The book by Brock Yates on the original and historical part of it is incredibly fascinating and a great read! 

Read the book, it's so much better, I can't begin to describe how good it is.

I hope that Mr. Ed makes a movie about the history and whole thing, would love to see him make something about it all. 

img-9500-jpg-1592579261.jpg

img-9497-jpg-1592579195.jpg

img-9498-jpg-1592580351.jpg

img-9501-jpg-1592577923.jpg

Wow! Is this the record Ed was talking about that is sub 26 hours? I bet it is. Crazy that its a solo run. I have no desire to be a part of a team. Solo hell no, my max is about 8 hours in the car. 

10 hours ago, BLK85 said:

Wow! Is this the record Ed was talking about that is sub 26 hours? I bet it is. Crazy that its a solo run. I have no desire to be a part of a team. Solo hell no, my max is about 8 hours in the car. 

I have no idea if this is the one he referenced. It seems that now it's mainstream more people are bitching about people running it during the COVID, like there are rules for a illegal race? :lol2:

In my younger days I would have been more than happy to organize a run with a few people I know and trust, but that time has definitely passed for me. 

Here is the video everyone was waiting for. 

13 hours ago, TestShoot said:

is the one day record possible?

I think you could get it in the 24 hour window 24:55 minutes or something if all the conditions were perfect and had the best luck possible. Under the 24 hour mark would be absolutely insane. 

This guy got stuck in the fruit check line for 20 minutes at the California border and had one fuel stop. If you could get a mobile refill, even at a slow speed would help tremendously. 

I think we are at the point now where it gets beat by a few minutes at a time. 

I think now people will have to come up with new routes now. I get the current route at least start and end point is historical. But why not a furthest north east to furthest south west spot? Or maybe do a West to East now? 

9 hours ago, BLK85 said:

I think we are at the point now where it gets beat by a few minutes at a time. 

I think now people will have to come up with new routes now. I get the current route at least start and end point is historical. But why not a furthest north east to furthest south west spot? Or maybe do a West to East now? 

Historically speaking, it's always been East to West because of the C2C lineage. Many have run the West to East route, but I don't think they count that the same. I think the record will still drop because they are going to shut down the country again until November, so we've got some time to see others run it. Granted, the routes become challenging with construction season, winter in the northern route and increased traffic in the southern. I'm not too terribly up on it, but i don't think there are more than 2-3 routes that can provide as direct a line as possible.