LAMBORGHINI URRACO PURCHASE

THECARREAPER

hey guys, i have had 3 ferrari's in a year, been lurking awhile on here. some of you may know me from f-chat. anyway i just bought this 1974 Euro Urraco *15176* . the PPI revealed the car needs some love, but i think it deserves saving. i bought it anyway !

if anyone can help me find a downloadable service manual i would sure appriciate it. i have already spoken with Chad about geting parts . i did most of the work on my carb ferrari's, i am an aircraft tech for General Dynamics and i am jumping in with both feet to learn about older L-cars. i am hoping to get either a Jalpa or Espada next. some of the pics are old, i from the sellers ad. i will take fresh pics when the car is delivered this weekend.

comments are welcome as i have MUCH to learn about these cool little cars.

MICHAEL

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

by the way, does anyone know if the boot on the shifter is original ? some of the pics i have seen show a gated shifter and "URRACO" in chrome letters on the console next to and right of the shifter. thanks!!! car is a "p250" with power windows, radio ( original?) but no a/c, which i prefer. i dont think the car is an "S" version, but i welcome comments.

Omgosh. A real Lamborghini !

Enjoy.

Those cars are neat. :supz: :partyman:

Nice car, Michael,

Mine was red too before I resprayed it to limegreen.

Yours is resprayd too if I am correct because the engine compartment originally should be black instead of red (last picture).

The bumpers are black, original they are chromed, but looks great.

Mirrors are not from a Urraco (looks Countach or Alfa) and I think the doorhandles

are from a Dino (al chromed) Urraco has black with chrome.

Shifter is original for P250, the chromed plate is a P300.

If it hasn't got a/c then it is not an S version (no "S" on back of car).

Don't take the above as criticisum (hope I wrote that one right, haha), just some

things to get you to know your car, it looks great.

Enjoy your new car, and look after the engine.

:supz: :supz: :supz: urracos are such cool cars ,,so rare so unique ,,so under rated ,,even by the lambo guys on here too bad :roll: :finga: :finga: :finga: still can wait to get mine ,,i,m hoping for a p 300 :supz:

thanks for the help i welcome any comments i can get from owners as the info on these cars is sketchy.

anyone know if there are replica wheels in the telephone dial pattern available for these cars ??

i am also looking for either an Espada or Jalpa if its under $30k.

dash pics :

anyone know if there are replica wheels in the telephone dial pattern available for these cars ??

dash pics :

yes, i remember i had seen 2 years ago an urraco with 17" (sorry no 14 or 15 replica available for what i know) bravo style rims for urraco, i think pics were in www.lambocars.com or glenn registry, not sure about it

nice car, congrats

Hi emilio,

I have a '75 Urraco US version and I talked with a guy who made those wheels special order. I think he lives in Canada and his name is Nick Papanicolou. I have some pics of his blue Urraco with 17 or 18 inch telephone dial wheels. In my opinion, the bigger rims made it look like it was riding on wagon wheels. If you go to the International Lamborghini Registry and look under the For Sale section, his address may still be there.

Hello carreaper

I have a '75 Urraco and can say that it is a very fun, relatively inexpensive little exotic once you get it all sorted out. The only problem is that they are so underrated in the Lambo/collector car community and the cost of restoration easily exceeds the cost of the car making it a true labor of love because you will be so upside down in the car that you will need a submarine to bring you to the surface. But, those old car do have a certain charm from the smell of the leather and the engine after a drive to the aesthetic stying that is certainly missing from modern cars. Incidentally, did you get rid of a 246 Dino or a 308 GT4 Dino?

carreaper,

Congrats on your purchase. Once it is sorted out, you should have fun with it. It does have a timing belt as opposed to chains and if it hasn't been done very recently, I would recommend changing it with a good modern one. I think the interval is 30000 miles or three years. I have read that some guys change to electronic ignition and new coils in place of the old points. They start, and run much better and it's not all that expensive to convert. You can get owners manuals and I think, service manuals at italiancarparts.com for a fairly expensive sum. They are reprints. I have the owners manual. The drivetrain is pretty solid and you shouldn't have the clutch problems as with the new Gallardo partly because it only has 220hp. But, the shifter is quite notchy and shifting must be precise or you'll hear ominous grinding noises and it won't go into gear particularly from 1st to 2nd shift. I was going to have my mechanic fabricate a gate for the shifter and maybe change to a different gear oil. So, get it all sorted out and have fun.

:supz: :supz: to all urraco owners youve done the right thing :partyman: ,,its a lambo man never forget that ,,,you know why you bought it ,,so roll with it :finga: :finga: cant wait to get mine :supz:

I love mine. It has been a ball to drive and very reliable. I took my time going through the car to ward off issues and it paid off. I did a lot of internal mods when building the engine and had a pair of adjustable cam pulleys made. Well worth it. Even though I work on Lambos, I've never had another Urraco in the shop, would love to drive someone elses for comparison.

Enjoy your new car. They are great!

The dash rocks

Similar to the Ford GT 40 !! :supz:

____

I like busy bizarre Italian interiors. It is hysterical how they solve some of the radio placement issues. Espada S1, Espada S3, Lusso, and Ghibli etc... Those are some bizarre interiors :mrgreen: .

carreaper,

Congrats on your purchase. Once it is sorted out, you should have fun with it. It does have a timing belt as opposed to chains and if it hasn't been done very recently, I would recommend changing it with a good modern one. I think the interval is 30000 miles or three years. I have read that some guys change to electronic ignition and new coils in place of the old points. They start, and run much better and it's not all that expensive to convert. You can get owners manuals and I think, service manuals at italiancarparts.com for a fairly expensive sum. They are reprints. I have the owners manual. The drivetrain is pretty solid and you shouldn't have the clutch problems as with the new Gallardo partly because it only has 220hp. But, the shifter is quite notchy and shifting must be precise or you'll hear ominous grinding noises and it won't go into gear particularly from 1st to 2nd shift. I was going to have my mechanic fabricate a gate for the shifter and maybe change to a different gear oil. So, get it all sorted out and have fun.

my Dino was a 74 series one 308GT4. it sold a few weeks ago. my 76 308GTB sold tuesday. i am looking for another Lambo that runs and drives while i am messing around with the beater Urraco. thanks for the info !

Wow Mike! What an awesome car. I love what you have done with your engine. I had actually contemplated turning my car into a hot rod, "Urraco Bob" version minus the big wing like the one Bob Wallace did back in the '70s with one of the Urraco prototypes. It is really hot looking. I wouldn't have made it so extreme but I likes some of the modifications he did. Could you please list what you have done to your engine, to other parts of the car, and what could an owner expect to pay for those mods at a reputable shop. I have a world renowned Lambo mechanic in my state about 80 miles away who could do the work. Look forward to hearing from you. It's good to hear from more Urraco owners because info and advice are pretty scarce.