Starter Solenoid Replacement

IlToro

97 1/2 roadster I get a click 1-3 times every time I turn the key before it starts. Aside from the battery, research says it's the solenoid. Anybody remove one without taking the starter off. Looks very tight in there. What about cutting a hole in the heat shield to access? I have the solenoid coming, but now not sure if it's even possible.

97 1/2 roadster I get a click 1-3 times every time I turn the key before it starts. Aside from the battery, research says it's the solenoid. Anybody remove one without taking the starter off. Looks very tight in there. What about cutting a hole in the heat shield to access? I have the solenoid coming, but now not sure if it's even possible.

Could very well be the solenoid - Please read my tread:

http://www.another board.com/vbforum/f4...iy-tread-14399/

To remove the solenoid from the starter, you will have to dismantle the starter from the engine. However you can't get the starter out without removing the engine from the car.

A previus owner of my car had cut a hole in the wall between the engine bay, and the "oilfilter/battery compartment".

Heres a picture taken from the oilfilter-acces hole:

img1521mv.jpg

This alloved me to remove the complete starter without remowing the engine. It was a fairly simple job. Without this hole, you still might be able to change the starter solenoid. You will need to remove the starter from teh engine - and through the small acces from down under the car loosen the 2 screws holding the solenoid to the starter.

The solenoid is a cheap part - BOSCH 0331402503

You can find it on the german ebay: Solenoid

Thanks. I followed that procedure from another board. I'll cut that hole if I have to rather than pull the engine. I understand the starter is smaller on the newer models, but that doesn't make it any easier. If I can access the two screws holding it on I can get it off without doing anything.

My mechanic managed to take the starter out without cutting the panel. To take it out and put it back in, it took him about 10 hours of fiddling time. Much much better than engine out job. Saved me a small fortune.

What model year do you have? I've concluded that there's no way it can be done on later models. I read some threads on it being done on a 6.0, and some one said......blah, blah, I don't believe it.

What model year do you have? I've concluded that there's no way it can be done on later models. I read some threads on it being done on a 6.0, and some one said......blah, blah, I don't believe it.

Hi Mine is a 98 SV. The clicking went on for a year or so and one day, the starter died.

You should be able to do it as I think we have the same set up. He took off the underside tray, LHS rear wheel and battery, used the flexy video camera to see what he was doing. Used a number of spanners together to undo the bolts.

Make sure to tighten the started motor back in the place after the solenoid replacement as you don't want it falling off.

Good luck.

changing e the solenoid is a waste of time and of money: the new will not last long.

This is the solution, for 70 USD or less.

It works, on Countach, it works on Diablo, it works on Murcielago.

Give a look at my post below

ciao

http://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?...51234&st=20

changing e the solenoid is a waste of time and of money: the new will not last long.

This is the solution, for 70 USD or less.

It works, on Countach, it works on Diablo, it works on Murcielago.

Give a look at my post below

ciao

http://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?...51234&st=20

Your solution seems very good. Could you PM the scheme to otani at ndirect.co.uk for future ref? Thanks.

Your solution seems very good. Could you PM the scheme to otani at ndirect.co.uk for future ref? Thanks.

send me a PM of request

Thanks

ciao

Dear Lamborghinisti,

Reymondo....hold the phone!!!

Go back to my "hole in my head...er thread. You do not have to cut anything at all.

I removed my starter and had it rebuilt and super tested as I told them...it HAS to work, given all the effort it takes to re/re it.

To remove the starter...with no problems....you have to remove the headers from the driver side engine. To remove the headers, you have to remove the AC bracket, push the AC unit out of the way...no, not disconnect it.

Remove the cross-over on the exhaust,

Remove the Primary Cat

Remove, Y pipe

Remove both headers

Remove starter heat shield

Do NOT remove dipstick....you don't have to.

On the top of the engine, You should remove the cold start valve, air box, air tube, spark plug wires.

I know this sounds alot, but I did it without even moving the engine off a mount.

And guess what....NO holes in the body work. If you did that, everyone would think...what other short cuts are in there?

feel free to email me and I'll comment on the thread you start....so everyone may benefit.

Shamile

Appreciate the late response Shamile. If you'd quit chasing skirts so much you could have saved me from laying under my car for an hour trying to figure it out. LOL. But really, that sounds like a major PIA. Don't know if I'm up to it, but we'll see.

Dear Lamborghinisti,

Appreciate the late response Shamile. If you'd quit chasing skirts so much you could have saved me from laying under my car for an hour trying to figure it out. LOL. But really, that sounds like a major PIA. Don't know if I'm up to it, but we'll see.

Bawhaha....what skirts??

I think you can do it. I went through it and just don't try to look at the finish line. Just take it bit by bit. Review my old thread. On the VT, the starter can be removed without an engine removal. It's the early Diablo 91-93 that the engine HAS to come out.

Shamile

Here in italy we (almost) never change solenoid, as solenoid is not broken but just has become a bit old and does not have its force anymore due to thermal expansion caused by exhaust heat. We just add another booster solenoid. It works and saves money.

If your car des not have any starting problem when the engine is cold but has problems when the engine is hot, do not change the solenoid as it still works and the new one will not last long causing very soon the same problem.

ciao

Here in italy we (almost) never change solenoid, as solenoid is not broken but just has become a bit old and does not have its force anymore due to thermal expansion caused by exhaust heat. We just add another booster solenoid. It works and saves money.

If your car des not have any starting problem when the engine is cold but has problems when the engine is hot, do not change the solenoid as it still works and the new one will not last long causing very soon the same problem.

ciao

Well mine has the problem in reverse. Click, click when cold, normally not a problem after. I don't think the booster solenoid is for me, and would rather find the correct fix, but thanks for the info. Really, I'm not sure of anything.

• 2 months later...

Update on this project. Turns out the booster relay was for me, because anything was worth a shot considering the alternative. I can report that installing the relay did help, but did not completely cure the problem, I still get a click ever once in a while but more often than not it starts first time. Anyway, thanks to Albert for providing the schematic. I did not take any pictures because I wasn't sure of it. The good/bad news is my SV is doing it now, so I'll probably do it on that one too, and document it better.

I had exactly this issue with my 6.0 a few months ago. The garage was able to remove the solenoid without taking the engine out, but with somewhat scratched forearms.

Some information I gleaned from previous threads about the replacement part no. was incorrect. Apparantly different solenoids are in use on 6.0, a small one and a larger one. Mine was the smaller one, and not available any more. Accordingly we refurbished it, and replaced it. So far, two months later, everything seems to be fine.

Update on this project. Turns out the booster relay was for me, because anything was worth a shot considering the alternative. I can report that installing the relay did help, but did not completely cure the problem, I still get a click ever once in a while but more often than not it starts first time. Anyway, thanks to Albert for providing the schematic. I did not take any pictures because I wasn't sure of it. The good/bad news is my SV is doing it now, so I'll probably do it on that one too, and document it better.

I'm happy to hear i helped you. On my car it works, and it's an older car.

ciao