Importance of reading owners manual!

g-force

As per usual ...I buy a car...I usually get a walkthrough with selling salesman..I drive away

with no need to read manual unless there is a problem or I forgot something that was explained to me.

In this case I bought the car via the internet with no one on one interaction with the sales people.

Well the owners manual of the MP4 has 40 pages of "BEFORE YOU DRIVE" stuff.

Needless to say when I got the car I was anxious to drive and not interested in reading 40 pages!

So I drive to my local touchless car wash to rinse off the transport dust.

I'm sitting in the car the Blasting car wash is doing its thing when my door pops open the window drops the

programmed 3 " and I proceeded to get DRENCHED personally and all inside the car! by the time I got the window closed!

Hilarious looking back but not so at the time.

Third page of "BEFORE YOU DRIVE" states "To prevent inadvertent opening of a door when using an automatic car wash

always lock the doors before entering the wash. If you intend to remain inside the vehicle press the interior central locking device to ensure

the doors do not open."

So the auto wash activates the touch control on the door to open it?

Apparently.. who would have thought?... My excuse for NOT reading owners manual but obviosly Mclaren had the same

experience or why insert this in owners manual? Maybe a programmed safety feature for floods who knows?

Car has so many things different. For instance you can leave windows down with doors locked and if someone

reaches inside your car to grab something a moitin detector activates the car alarm!

I think whats really wrong with you is you are taking an exotic through a car wash. :D

Touchless... I've always used them...probably lot of things wrong with me according to my wife..but touchless car washes

way down on the list!

Touchless... I've always used them...probably lot of things wrong with me according to my wife..but touchless car washes

way down on the list!

Haha, yeah I know the feeling! I am glad to see you are out in the car though and hopefully enjoying it.

I'm sorry that happened to you but man that's a great story!

Life to me is just one string of memorable incidents.....this was one!

I think whats really wrong with you is you are taking an exotic through a car wash. :D

:lol2: :eusa_wall:

i personally like the hand swipe vs a button. ive never had any issues. you can also use the key fob to open both doors.

:lol2: :eusa_wall:

i personally like the hand swipe vs a button. ive never had any issues. you can also use the key fob to open both doors.

You would be the only one. If you say you have a 100% success rate with the hand swipe on the first try, I would have to call you a liar :P

You would be the only one. If you say you have a 100% success rate with the hand swipe on the first try, I would have to call you a liar :P

not the 1st time lol

but now im a hand swipe expert :icon_super: ;)

I could never open the door, even the salesman had troubles until the mechanic was brought in to shows us how to do it :lol2:

Just put a damn button on the door, what's wrong with that?

You can also leave the front bonnet open (to charge the battery) and still be able to lock the rest of the car.

There are tons of purpose built 'electro-oddities' going on within the 12C.

:eusa_think: What happens when it's raining hard or snowing outside? Or when you leave the car unlocked outside in the rain?

I could never open the door, even the salesman had troubles until the mechanic was brought in to shows us how to do it :lol2:

Just put a damn button on the door, what's wrong with that?

this is so true and my initial reaction. but as time passes by and i get so used to the swipe, i actually would have liked it if Mclaren kept it as it adds character to the car. for 2013 onwards the swipe feature is gone in lieu of a button. this will perhaps in effect make the original first year cars more desirable.

for 2013 onwards the swipe feature is gone in lieu of a button. this will perhaps in effect make the original first year cars more desirable.

I think you are right, I am willing to bet the first year cars will be a lot harder to get into.

:icon_mrgreen:

That's an awesome story. I would have been laughing my ass off had I witnessed this...and cursing like a sailor had I been in the car.

this is so true and my initial reaction. but as time passes by and i get so used to the swipe, i actually would have liked it if Mclaren kept it as it adds character to the car. for 2013 onwards the swipe feature is gone in lieu of a button. this will perhaps in effect make the original first year cars more desirable.

:iamwithstupid: 100%

I think you are right, I am willing to bet the first year cars will be a lot harder to get into.

:icon_mrgreen:

Ahh, I see what you did there..... #veryclever #goodonya

haha, I love you guys, but you are delusional if you think that the first year cars will be more desirable because they have the swipe and not a button to open the door :)

haha, I love you guys, but you are delusional if you think that the first year cars will be more desirable because they have the swipe and not a button to open the door :)

imagine the out of warranty cost to repair the swipe feature! I bet that will be a NIGHTMARE.