I hate puff daddy.

abolfaz

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tron- Capone kept lousy books.... he didnt even have a bank account... Which is why hes considered a "lousy businessman." But his contemperary, underling and PARTNER, Meyer Lansky kept books on every penny he ever earned... And was worth $300 Million when he died. They made the same money from the same enterprises... Now I suppose I could have substituted Lansky for Capone, but for breveties sake, Capone is much more well known and makes for a better analogy. Now... Adjust those numbers for inflation...

http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/academy...854/lansky2.htm

Romandad: can't access that link from where I am currently, but I accept your numbers as you type them. That's pretty impressive then. I always knew that Lansky was a smart customer!

But again... The point is: The ends DONT justify the means. I AM wholly unimpressed that mobsters earn vast fortunes through criminal activity. And Im wholly unimpressed that a thug like Sean Combs ( I refuse to call these people by their ridiculous "street" nicknames) can amass that type of money convincing a generation of urban youth that mysogonistic criminal behavior is acceptable.

I heard about a sequel to Carlito's Way, not the best movie but interesting if you like the de palma scarface/carlito character types.  I saw the preview in a theater, it looked like it might have had some promise until they showed puff whatever on the screen, his role and his acting were so bad I couldn't even watch the preview!  

I can't stand his music, his clothes or his acting, so just imagine what a laugh I got when the movie went straight to DVD!  :shock:  :lol:  :lol:

<-stupid

And thats from somebody in the BIZ!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

romandad you shouldn't hate puff, i saw a white on white CT in his old video : pubblic enemy ....something like that ;)

Oh... Ok... That makes up for the fact hes a talentless thug...

A lot of this thread has had SUBJECTIVE comments...

But "THUG" he is not.....LOL. Grew up in nice Scarsdale, NY.

BTW, Romandad, for someone with such conviction in this thread, your comments are pretty off base and amusing!

I love it when people who HATE rap music generalize the shit out of it. I guess they can't be blamed because they only know what they see on the news, after a shooting. I'm awaiting your asssignment of gangsta rapper to Eminem & LL Cool J! :lol: :lol:

Here's the deal. Puffy became a household name when he pushed COMMERCIAL, club ready , dance worthy rap hits to Top 40 radio, circa '97-99. The majority of the music he pushes meets this requirement, and it fits his playboy image. After this he just became intertwined in high end social circles, and now everybody who wished they never knew him, knows him.

Guys like 50 CENT define thug, and I will not disagree with you. He's very popular, yet keeps provoking the anger out of other less successful rappers. Like a wolf, you can't truly domesticate this kind of animal. :)

I like the music from all these guys...50, Snoop, Biggie, Fat Joe, etc. Thing is, even for someone who likes this genre of music , at times these guys cross the line and irritate me. As long as I can separate the boundary between the music I hear and the overall image/character of those behind it, it's all good.

It's far from a perfect music genre, but you'd be hard pressed to go to a hot party that doesn't play it. Romandad, I'm sorry, but Meatloaf just doesn't work in the club! :finga: :mrgreen:

BTW, getting back to the original point of this thread....Mike is correct, Puffy has no business acting. I hate when success in one industry automatically precludes the right to "be successful" in another industry (e.g. jennifer lopez from acting to singing).

1. I go to plenty of parties that dont feature rap music...

2. I dont care if hes from scarsdale New York. Hes still a thug, implicated in a shooting, whose business partners and former business partners are all dead from violent crimes, in jail or under indictment. Lie down with dogs, wake up with fleas.

3. Eminem can suck my cock as well. Hes another mysoginist with way too big a chip on his shoulder.

4. Sean Combs is a talentless fcuk who hasnt written an orignal peice of music in his life. Yes, he puts rap lyrics to already popular top 40 songs. Where is the talent in this?

5. Heres what I know... I dont go NEAR Hollywood and Highland when the Grammies, or BET awards or any of the other music awards shows are going to be held, because invariably it turns into a riot, or shoot out or some pissing match about whos the baddest motherfucker in the room... And Sean Combs is usually right in themiddle of it, like a ringmaster at a three ring circus. I DONT GIVE A SHIT! If you cant sell an album without the soap opera historionics, Youre a talentless fuckwad.

And finally, there is a persistant rumor in my business that WONT go away... And that is that Sean Combs ordered the murder of Tupac Shakur. Now... Tupac was no alter boy either... But I liked music MUCH better when if a deal went south, they called in people like me... LAWYERS... instead of gunning each other down in neighborhoods I frequent with my family.

I love it when people who HATE rap music generalize the shit out of it. I guess they can't be blamed because they only know what they see on the news, after a shooting.  

:roll:

How about Lindsey Lohan almost acting to not quite singing, or David Hasselhoff nonexistant acting to even worse singing, or Don Johnson passable acting to "impassible" singing and Paris Hilton who is neither an actress or a singer and has tried both.

The simple fact is that successful rap stars bring an audience to either the theatres or the video stores. It is simple economics. That is why producers wanted Ludacris to act in 2Fast2 Furious with Paul Walker. It's why DMX was sought out to act with Steven Segal. Ice Qube was in XXX, Eminem was in 8 mile, and it has given movie projects to among others Bow Wow, 50 Cent, Method Man, Andre 3000, Queen Latifah, Ja Rule and yes even Diddy.

They didn't start it, they followed in the footsteps of Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr., Elvis and others.

Don't hate the players. Hate the Game.

1.  I go to plenty of parties that dont feature rap music...    

2.  I dont care if hes from scarsdale New York.  Hes still a thug, implicated in a shooting, whose business partners and former business partners are all dead from violent crimes, in jail or under indictment.  Lie down with dogs, wake up with fleas.

3.  Eminem can suck my cock as well.  Hes another mysoginist with way too big a chip on his shoulder.

4.  Sean Combs is a talentless fcuk who hasnt written an orignal peice of music in his life.  Yes, he puts rap lyrics to already popular top 40 songs. Where is the talent in this?

5.  Heres what I know... I dont go NEAR Hollywood and Highland when the Grammies, or BET awards or any of the other music awards shows are going to be held, because invariably it turns into a riot, or shoot out or some pissing match about whos the baddest motherfucker in the room...  And Sean Combs is usually right in themiddle of it, like a ringmaster at a three ring circus.  I DONT GIVE A SHIT!  If you cant sell an album without the soap opera historionics, Youre a talentless fuckwad.

And finally, there is a persistant rumor in my business that WONT go away... And that is that Sean Combs ordered the murder of Tupac Shakur.  Now... Tupac was no alter boy either... But I liked music MUCH better when if a deal went south, they called in people like me... LAWYERS... instead of gunning each other down in neighborhoods I frequent with my family.

I love it when people who HATE rap music generalize the shit out of it. I guess they can't be blamed because they only know what they see on the news, after a shooting.  

:roll:

Hehe. Your points are funny, and I can't say that I disagree with them for the most part. Remember, I said I liked the music, but often am disgusted at the behavior. That awards show comment you make is not opinion, but FACT!

Rap is popular with the under 30 crowd primarily, and increases with the younger kids. If you're not in this age bracket, you're not expected to like it. Just whatever you do, please don't tell me you support Will Smith's music :)

As far as Puffy having Pac whacked....it's believable from the intense rivalry the two camps had 10 years ago. It's just that Puffy looks like a complete mama's boy in comparison to Suge Knight, lol.

Anyways, the only thing I want to identify with these guys is their financial position!

Don't hate the players. Hate the Game.

Speaking of "The Game" -- I don't think he has much talent either. :lol:

-James Miller

Well, I assume you don't care for the genre The Game is in, so this comment wouldn't surprise me. If you declare the entire genre is talentless, then why bother to solo anyone out. :)

As for his talent level, it's well above average in the genre he is in, IMHO.

What kind of music do you like James?

How about Lindsey Lohan almost acting to not quite singing, or David Hasselhoff nonexistant acting to even worse singing, or Don Johnson passable acting to "impassible" singing and Paris Hilton who is neither an actress or a singer and has tried both.

The simple fact is that successful rap stars bring an audience to either the theatres or the video stores. It is simple economics. That is why producers wanted Ludacris to act in 2Fast2 Furious with Paul Walker. It's why DMX was sought out to act with Steven Segal. Ice Qube was in XXX, Eminem was  in 8 mile, and it has given movie projects to among others Bow Wow, 50 Cent, Method Man, Andre 3000, Queen Latifah, Ja Rule and yes even Diddy.

They didn't start it, they followed in the footsteps of Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr., Elvis and others.  

ACTUALLY... Not totally true... Producers hope that putting a popular music talent in their film attracts certain demographic audiences, But they do NOT, in and of themselves, create any type of meaurable box office, and the reason for it is simple. The measures of success in each industry are SO vastly different.

Successfull Albums are measured in terms of GOLD (500,000 sales) and Platinum (1,000,000 sales). Box office is measured in terms of dollars. A SMALL, moderate budget film needs to sell $30-40 Million, in domestic B.O. JUST to have a HOPE of breaking even (eventually down the line in ancilary sales). The average ticket price is $10. Which means a film needs to sell 3 million tickets just to be a flop... Three times the number of sales a really succesful album will have. A BIG budget film, like the type you are referencing needs to make 100 Million+ to break even... Sometimes MUCH more than that... Thats 10 Million tickets.

There isnt a rap artist who has come even close to that in sales.

Its not about econimics. Its about a dirth of popular African American Actors and the lack of credibility some popular african american actors have with urban and teen audiences. Thus to fill those roles, producers are FORCED to hire crossover talent from the music world...

Its not about econimics. Its about a dirth of popular African American Actors and the lack of credibility some popular african american actors have with urban and teen audiences.   Thus to fill those roles, producers are FORCED to hire crossover talent from the music world...

Well said. Does this mean that Denzel Washington might put out a rap album?? :lol: :lol:

Jay Z, Eminem have moved 10 million+ in their careers...

Nothing like Elton John or The Beatles, but 10 has been crushed.

I dont mean CAREER.. I mean a SINGLE ALBUM... Because the same people who bought Eminems LAST album will buy it again... Thats the pool of people who will go see him in a film based solely on his music sales.

And neither of them have cracked the 10 million mark (certified Diamond).

Heres the list:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipea/A0151020.html

The albums on this list are HOUSEHOLD words... Thriller... Led Zeppelin 4, The Wall... Even Joshua Tree BARELY made the list... Its mostly compilations and greatest hits... And its incredibly hard for a niche artist to bust.

MC Hammer (washed up) and BIGGIE (dead) are the only "rappers" who made the list. Unless you count TLC?

Its not about econimics. Its about a dirth of popular African American Actors and the lack of credibility some popular african american actors have with urban and teen audiences.   Thus to fill those roles, producers are FORCED to hire crossover talent from the music world...

Well said. Does this mean that Denzel Washington might put out a rap album?? :lol: :lol:

Since winning the academy award, Denzel would have to get caught bitch slapping a hooker on St. Andrews to get his credibility back...

Plus, he's just too old to play the roles Im talking about...

Oh shit, it just went from bad to worse! Check www.seanjohnwheels.com :vom: :vom:

Whats next? Romandad, how about practicing law under Seanjohnlegalservices?

I cannot stand rap crap, the ghetto culture brewing throughout America, etc. I was watching a Missy Elliot video on VH1 yesterday.........I almost puked....you call that "talent".....give me a fucken break !!!!!!!! That lady cannot even pronounce "Lamborghini".....and she has had 4 of them already. Then came Kanye West that idiot that blew up on President Bush.....and his music made me even sicker....and this normal looking kid in my office says to me...."that guy is talented artist"......what the fcuk...........wake up America !!!!!!!!!

I cannot stand rap crap, the ghetto culture brewing throughout America, etc.  I was watching a Missy Elliot video on VH1 yesterday.........I almost puked....you call that "talent".....give me a fucken break !!!!!!!!   That lady cannot even pronounce "Lamborghini".....and she has had 4 of them already.   Then came Kanye West that idiot that blew up on President Bush.....and his music made me even sicker....and this normal looking kid in my office says to me...."that guy is talented artist"......what the fcuk...........wake up America !!!!!!!!!

I was in the music/club business on and off for about 10 years, ending in 1996, so you say that I had a little more experience/insight into music than the average guy. I for one didn't mind rap at all early on, the early stuff was good (remember run dmc, public enemy, big daddy kane, eric b & rakim, de la soul, tribe called quest, etc) and I believe that the people making the music were talented. Where everything went wrong I think was when the gangster rap garbage (except Wu Tang) started and then morphed into the garbage we have now thats created a nation of wiggers. I don't think talking over old top 40's hits is music, at least the older groups would sample and create new music. You have to give puff whatever credit for taking old songs uninterupted and just talking over them, wasn't this called kareoke (sic)?

I for one can't stand this shit music (and no I don't like meatloaf) and can't wait this bling bling ghetto culture to become passe. Thats just my oppinion though, for all of you who like this genre of music, more power to you and have a nice day.

I was in the music/club business on and off for about 10 years, ending in 1996, so you say that I had a little more experience/insight into music than the average guy.  I for one didn't mind rap at all early on, the early stuff was good (remember run dmc, public enemy, big daddy kane, eric b & rakim, de la soul, tribe called quest, etc) and I believe that the people making the music were talented.  Where everything went wrong I think was when the gangster rap garbage (except Wu Tang) started and then morphed into the garbage we have now thats created a nation of wiggers.  I don't think talking over old top 40's hits is music, at least the older groups would sample and create new music.  You have to give puff whatever credit for taking old songs uninterupted and just talking over them, wasn't this called kareoke (sic)?

I for one can't stand this shit music (and no I don't like meatloaf) and can't wait this bling bling ghetto culture to become passe.  Thats just my oppinion though, for all of you who like this genre of music, more power to you and have a nice day.

<-stupid (except your not stupid lol). Rap today basically sucks. But IMO, when I think of good rap (besides the 80's), I'm thinking of stuff such as Mobb Deeps Infamous cd, Wu-Tangs 36 Chambers and Double cd. They had that raw, pure sound and lyrics that make the guys today sound like they have the ablility of a kindergarden kid. I gotta say though, I happened to pick up Jedi mind Tricks new cd and really like it, they have that same raw sound and lyrics, actually they basically say fcuk you to all the gangster in da club I roll on 24's wannabe's.

Oh well, give me my metal/rock/punk anyday :supz:

You all know my taste in music... Smiths... New Order... Cure, etc... The reason I like that music is for me at least, it has STOOD the test of time... I have gone through MANY musical phases in my life... But as I age, the only Genre that I can still listen to without feeling like an absolute idiot is alternative... The music still has meaning to me... Despite the fact that the boy who first listened to those songs 20 years ago is LONG gone and been replaced by the slightly overweight, much more intelligent, much more educated man that I am now... I share very little in common with that boy... Except perhaps a love for cars, alternative music, and a common DNA code.

15 years from now, will ANYBODY still be listening to the gangster rap hits of today, and not feel like mysoginistic tools with chips on their shoulders?

I guess we'll see...

There is a HUGE amount of rap that has stood the test of time. NWA, Public Enemy, Slick Rick, Queen Latifah, Kool Keith.........the list goes on. I like off the wall rappers far more than popular stuff such as 50 Cent or Eminem. Give me Dr Octagon, Azad, or My Brother's Keeper over any current, commercial stuff.

There is a HUGE amount of rap that has stood the test of time. NWA, Public Enemy, Slick Rick, Queen Latifah, Kool Keith.........the list goes on. I like off the wall rappers far more than popular stuff such as 50 Cent or Eminem. Give me Dr Octagon, Azad, or My Brother's Keeper over any current, commercial stuff.