Tough decision....New M5

jkrutch

OK here goes....I placed a deposit on the new E60 M5 over 2 years ago. The time has come. I ordered the car and it is scheduled to go into production next week so delivery is around 8 weeks away or so. I am paying MSRP. I have a 2006 CLS55 that I absolutley love. The M5 will be a blast, but the aesthetics have me in a quandry. Here is my gameplan...

I have a commit from my MB dealer to buy my car back for 2k less than I paid 6 months ago. I would use this as a pre-trade for the M5 so there would be no sales tax on the M5.

I plan on ordering another CLS the same way I have mine, but with the 030 performance package. Gives you ltd slip diff, bigger brakes, supposedly much better handling, 19" 2 piece wheels and a few more goodies. Should take 5-6 months to get. In the interim, I would take delivery of the M5 and drive it for a few months while awaiting arrival of the new CLS. When the CLS arrives, I then have the option of keeping the M5 or trading for the new CLS.

I am guessing that the M5 won't cost me anything to drive for a few months since I believe they will be quite hard to get for the first year or so. I see this as a relatively risk free way to get the M5 "out of my system" and give myself a chance to see if I really like the car all the while keeping the option open for another CLS if that's what I decide to do.

What do you think?

lol Allan....that is the issue. I need to see this in person and decide from there. My gut keeps saying stay CLS since I really love the car. I have owned a shit load of cars and the CLS is my all-around favorite ride to date. It is super fast, looks great and comfortable beyond belief. The 030 package takes it to the next level, but I have yet to see one so I can't comment on the look benefit or detriment. We'll see...

Friend was kind of in the same situation, sold his e39 M5 and was inline for an E60 M5. But couldn't get over the exterior and interior "coldness". He loved and respected the performance from what he saw and read, and it wasn't that it was really ugly to him, just that it didn't "appear" to be worth the money if that makes any sense. It looked cheap to him so he's buying another e39 M5.

It's a great driving sedan I'm sure, but it's missing something. The E39 M5 has "character" and great looks and interior. I would say keep the CLS55 and pickup a CPO'd e39 M5 in Lemans Blue :twisted:

i agree w/quicksilver, i'd rather have an e39 m5. if you take performance out of the picture, i would take the cls over the e60 any day.

lol Allan....that is the issue.  I need to see this in person and decide from there.  My gut keeps saying stay CLS since I really love the car.   I have owned a shit load of cars and the CLS is my all-around favorite ride to date.  It is super fast, looks great and comfortable beyond belief.  The 030 package takes it to the next level, but I have yet to see one so I can't comment on the look benefit or detriment.  We'll see...

Cls is a nice ride. M5 is soo ugly.

Drive the M5 for free for 6 months, then switch back to a nice black CLS55, just as you explained. Best way to experience another cool car, for free, and go back to THE baddest sedan on the road today. :)

-Olivier

Drive the M5 for free for 6 months, then switch back to a nice black CLS55, just as you explained. Best way to experience another cool car, for free, and go back to THE baddest sedan on the road today. :)

-Olivier

I have an loaded to the hilt obsidian black CLS55 now. I am awaiting confirmation from my dealer on delivery time for the new one with the 030 package. This car really does rock and I love it. The 030 should get the handling in the M5 realm from what I have been led to believe. I am leaning towards doing exaclty that if the delivery of the new CLS is in the right time frame.