Considering buying a Countach

Coz

After 5 years of owning and rebuilding my original DeTomaso Pantera GT5, I am considering selling it off and buying a Countach.

Been told the one to look for is the QV.

I turn my own wreches on my GT-5 which helps keep the costs down. Can replace the clutch in one day, cost 300.00. 460 HP Motor rebuild cost, 5,000.00, etc....

But after 5 years, I am starting to get that ich for something different.

Any thoughts or advise ?

This is my current car which is almost an everyday driver.

Coz

• 4 weeks later...

I know, already been looking into it. Have met a few people that have them and been discussing where to get parts at better prices than from dealers.

Still sorting through everything....

Thanks for the impute and thanks for the compliment on my car.

After 5 years of owning and rebuilding my original DeTomaso Pantera GT5, I am considering selling it off and buying a Countach.

Been told the one to look for is the QV.

I turn my own wreches on my GT-5 which helps keep the costs down. Can replace the clutch in one day, cost 300.00. 460 HP Motor rebuild cost, 5,000.00, etc....

But after 5 years, I am starting to get that ich for something different.

Any thoughts or advise ?

This is my current car which is almost an everyday driver.

Coz

Nice car,

I have been looking for a CT for many months. From my understanding getting the car running the way it should is the big hurdle. It should be easier if you have the time and skill to do your own work. After that servicing is not that bad, from what I have been told as long as the car is driven. Still part are several times what drive train part are for your car and the chance to spend 10k or more lurks around every corner, but it does that with a 25k Ferrari, or even a Mercedes.

One of the reasons I was looking for a carbed car was it seem like the injection on the late cars need a lot of love (time) to work properly.

I do not have my Countach yet and the the above information is from a lot of different source, as I remember it, which may or may not be right.

CARGUYs thread on his car is great info

Maybe I will see you at Pavilions sometime, Good luck

Vinnie

Hey Vinnie.

Thanks...

So your here in Az too....I go to Pavillions occasionally. Hope to see you there some time. Look for my car, I usually go with a group of other Pantera owners.

This is what I've been hearing too. CT's that don't get driven are the one's that have all the problems, mostly with seals. Then there's the upgrades that if not have been done, will need to be done. Been told many times to find one that the owner actually drives and doesn't let it sit as a garage queen. Not driving them does them more harm than good.

I'll turn my own wrenches on it so that shouldn't be a problem labor wise. What I can't figure out, I have LeBlond here in town that will teach me. Have you met him ? Great guy and all he does is work on Lambo's and knows his stuff. My son goes to school with his son and that's how I met him. I've already learned a lot from him on what to look for and what to stay away from. One thing I can't afford is to spend 80+ for one and then get trapped into needing to spend another 20 grand to make it right after the fact for a CT. At that point, I may as well be looking at Diablo's.

Still looking and investigating myself. But I think I'm ready for a change.

Was in Valencia this last week and happen to meet a guy that was driving a Diablo, man was it a beautiful car. Which is another way I am also thinking about going. have been told to get at least a 1994 if I go the Diablo route.

No hurry....but when I do find something right, I'll make the move.

Hope to see you sometime.

Coz

HEY ANOTHER AZ guy.....I used to live in Durango CO and used to love going to Scottsdale for weekends. One of my really good friends down there is the owner of the recent MYNSX car down there. I am sure on of you guys know Bill. Well man I heard that Pantera's have mad electric problems....is that true.....cause if you got your car done with all the little quarks then you got a beautiful ride, I mean look at the damn thing....its a sexy beast.

I am looking at getting into the whole lambo thing too right now and am looking to see what is really the best buy, IF you find out more on the CT's give me hollar and tell me what you found out,. any info is much appreciated on this end. Thanks

cameron

I bought my C/T 18 months ago, a garage queen !!. So far had to change virtually everything rubber !!

Buy one like mine is now, used every week, driven hard and serviced well, should last for many many thousands of miles.

Sorry Vmanaktala mine is black on black 84 carbed version ser 12704 :twisted: ;)

No matter which countach you get,garage queen or not,you will have to spend some coin initially.Budget a minimum of 10k.One the car is sorted out,it is solid as rock.And if you can find a QV,jump all over it.Next to the LP400,it is the most coveted countach

I spent over 25,000 AFTER I bought a running car. Clutch, carbs, cam timing, all line rubber and braided, paint engine compartment, fabrication and so much more.

BUT now it is driven and has given me 2 years with no problem.

I think what you have to remember (and BTW this will be the case will all early Diablos now as well ) is that you are talking about a 20 year old car, and unless someone has gone back through it, you're gonna have to. You can do it yourself, or pay someone else, but it wil have to be done.

My experience has been just like Peter's. Having said that, every time I drive it I forget about every penny and realize just how worth it it is !!!

Cameron,

We have a Bill in the Pantera club that has an NSX. What color was yours ?

Yes, have straightened out all of the electrical problems on my car. Has relays now and most all new connections, fuses and wiring.

Thanks Cameron... Been a lot of work but worth the effort.

Coz

Thanks Guys. I really appreciate all the impute.

I may look for a project car, keep my current Pantera to drive and just work on the project car until it's up and running over time.

Just something about a lamborghini :-)

If I didn't buy my Lambo, I was going to buy a gt-4 pantera. Flares, no skirts.

That would have been a great second choice Peter.

Mine is factory original GT-5

Sorry Vmanaktala mine is black on black 84 carbed version ser 12704  :twisted:  ;)

:axe: , :mrgreen:

I have found a QV that has had every line and hose replaced as well a full engine rebuild, Kevlar clutch, ect. in the last year. It is priced a little high, but in reality the repair bills the owner spent are about equal to the price of the car. I am really leaning towards that car, just wish this week was not so busy with work, so I could fly out and see it.

I will find the time

Where is the best place to get a Pantera like yours Peter. I went over to the Lambo Dealership today and since I am young I got the run-around, I was REALLY REALLY not happy. Now I have seen many young people drive lambos........am I just not privaledged enough. It kinda makes me sick to my stomach that people can be so rude and YET people you have never seen EVER i.e online.......can be soooo cooooool, ISNT IT FUNNY THE WAY WE TREAT EACH OTHER WHEN ONE THINKS LOWER OF ANOTHER.

BUT besides my not personal vendetta to hate the local lambo shop (i just go to another city haha) but the Pantera is a bad ass car. I would like on that had like you said been gone through already so I dont have to do that stuff. But the body on your is sexy and has a fat ass...I like the big booties.... :supz:

My car is still in San Diego... Last I heard all is well... We're getting ready to sell the house (painting, packing, etc.) so I told him to put it on a back burner and take his time...