Gallardo vs Z06 video

bgshow

...the last autorag i saw had the plastic car @ 120 in the quarter, VERY quick, but thats about it.

The newest Car and Driver tested the new Plastic mess-06 at @ 125 MPH in the 1/4. That is certainly faster than the Gallardo in the 1/4. No doubt about it. Maybe the Gallardo is faster above 120MPH??

It is mathematically, scientifically, physically impossible for the car to be faster at any speed. It weighs more, makes less horsepower, and makes almost 100 lb/ft of torque less than the Z.

Don't forget Gearing.

The newest Car and Driver tested the new Plastic mess-06 at @ 125 MPH in the 1/4. That is certainly faster than the Gallardo in the 1/4. No doubt about it. Maybe the Gallardo is faster above 120MPH??

It is mathematically, scientifically, physically impossible for the car to be faster at any speed. It weighs more, makes less horsepower, and makes almost 100 lb/ft of torque less than the Z.

Don't forget Gearing.

I know, but the gearing isn't too different in these two cars.

Regarding the Ring time for the Z, it was a pre-production car, and as Allan said they were adjusting suspension settings and had a Le Mans driver behind the wheel. He's probably a wee bit more skilled than the guy from Autocar magazine that ran the Gallardo around the Ring.

Anyways, there is no point for anyone to critique the Plastic mess-06 on this board, or any other board for that matter. It is apparently the end-all-be-all of performance cars. I drove it and raced it, but hey, WTF do I know. Numbers and magazines are the gospel. Long live the king.

Apparently then, my test drive & race occured in the Land of Oz. And I suppose the most recent mag test showing the Z at 0-60 in 4.2 and quarter in 12.2 happened on another planet where the gravitational pull is excessive. Cool.

The tests at the ring can only considered as benchmarks if they are done the same day under same conditions by equal drivers.I will leave it at that.On such a long track you can lose precious seconds very easily if conditions are not ideal.I know when we race at Mosport or the Glen,depending on track conditions,there are sometimes fluctuations of up to 3 secs.That is ona 4km track.Multiply that by 5 and you can easily have erroneous results

I guarantee you that they don't just test the car once. They will post the best time that the car runs, not the worst. Just because the Gallardo got killed by the Z at the ring, you don't have to make up excuses.

I am not making excuses for anything.I am just stating a fact.You have obviously no race experience whatsoever otherwise you would know what i am talking about.

1st:Same driver or equal driver.You cannot compare a factory test driver or race car driver to a journeyman or automotive journalist.The difference is huge and on a track that is 21k long,massive

2nd:Track conditions have to be the same.I have been on the same track on many occasions and there are days where no matter how hard you try you just can't equal your best time.

These 2 factors alone are enough so stop arguing about a situation where the variables are unknown.

Some thoughts:

1. Aram's point is absolutely correct. Anyone who has every been to the Ring always says that it's crazy in terms of weather. It's so large that some parts of it can be in the sunlight, while others are getting a downpour of rain.

Now that being said, SportAuto, and their drivers who are all GP caliber (Horst usually does the timed laps), takes their timing seriously. If it rains, or is wet, or other weather conditions intrude, they mention it.

2. SportAuto did a nice test on the Vantage V8 at the Ring with two sets of tires last month. The first set was what the car comes with stock, the Bridgestong RE050. Think Pilot PS2, or P-Zero Rossa, they're right in that range, and they come standard on the F430, Enzo, and a variety of other sports cars. The second set they timed were the P-Zero Corsas we're all familiar with, which come stock on the 360CS, and a few other cars, and are optional on all L-cars.

Here are the results:

ASTON MARTIN VANTAGE V8 N-RING TIMES

8:03 - Vantage with optional P-Zero Corsas

8:13 - Vantage with stock Brdigestone RE050

Bottom line: On the same day, under the same conditions, with the same driver, the Corsas dropped ten full seconds from the car's time.

Now ask yourself: If a Gallardo, which does 7:52 in optimal conditions at the Ring using just normal P-Zero Rossas were to be tested with the optional P-Zero Corsas, would it also drop 10 seconds off it's time? Would it drop more?

Pretty interesting isn't it. Knowing the above, a stock Gallardo could possibly match/beat the time the stock Plastic mess-06 dropped on the Ring in that popular piece. As could the Murcie, which on stock tires has done a 7:50 without issue.

So to sum up: When it comes to the Ring, everything is NOT equal. And unless the same driver is behind the wheel, under the same temp/weather conditions, it's VERY hard to compare times. And even when you do, the tires on the car make a colossal difference.

Good points Mako. However, the Plastic mess-06 used was not what one would consider "stock". It was a pre-production car.

Good points Mako. However, the Plastic mess-06 used was not what one would consider "stock". It was a pre-production car.

Very true. As others have said, that car was repeatedly tweaked until it produced the time they wanted. For all we know it could have had adjustable C6-R racing dampers/coil overs on it to allow them the full range of adjustability...not exactly the "stock" suspension if that's the case. :twisted:

I hope they didnt do that. The POS boat would really go down in flames.

Mako, couldnt the tire argument work both ways? Or did the C6Z06 run the ring on non-stock rubber?

Mako, couldnt the tire argument work both ways?

Definitely. GM never disclosed what tires were used in that PR-event running of the Ring, so we're left to wonder. Contrary to popular belief, the newest runflats on the C6 are actually very good, equal to Pilot PS2, or P-Zero Rossa, or RE050 in dry grip. If the time was accomplished on those tires, it's impressive to me, simply because the Gallardo/Murcie needed 7:50+ to do the same thing on equivalent tires.

But with GM admitting that they did adjust the suspension an undisclosed number of times, it leaves room for debate about what tires were used that day also. I don't think we'll ever know the answer.

I hope they didnt do that. The POS boat would really go down in flames.

Mako, couldnt the tire argument work both ways? Or did the C6Z06 run the ring on non-stock rubber?

It's true. The whole thing was captured on video, and bits of it are floating around on the internet.

I am so sick of hashing this thread over and over i am locking it.Enough ZO6 TALK