Head gaskets leaking

98 SV

Head gaskets on my 98 SV are leaking. Coming from the rear corners of the heads. On top where they meet the manifold. It only happens when the car is cold. Once the motor warms up the leak stops. Looking to see if anyone has had this type of problem and if anyone has had head gaskets replaced. 15k service has not been done. So I am hoping I just need the heads re-torqued. The gaskets are not torn or missing.

Also if someone might suggest a good repair facility in the NY or Boston area. I live near Albany NY. The only shop I know is Boston Sports Cars, but have never used them. I have a local shop but I only use them for oil changes. No major work. This is my first Lambo. Car has approx 32 kilos. Any help would be appreciated

Head gaskets on my 98 SV are leaking. Coming from the rear corners of the heads. On top where they meet the manifold. It only happens when the car is cold. Once the motor warms up the leak stops. Looking to see if anyone has had this type of problem and if anyone has had head gaskets replaced. 15k service has not been done. So I am hoping I just need the heads re-torqued. The gaskets are not torn or missing.

Also if someone might suggest a good repair facility in the NY or Boston area. I live near Albany NY. The only shop I know is Boston Sports Cars, but have never used them. I have a local shop but I only use them for oil changes. No major work. This is my first Lambo. Car has approx 32 kilos. Any help would be appreciated

When you say headgaskets.. is water or oil mixing in the block or radiators? It sounds to me that your intake manifold gasket is the one you are speaking about. what do you see when they start leaking?

I would try a re tourque of the heads first. Depending how long the leak has been there, the effectivness of this will only be knowen once its been tried.

Head gaskets are quite common to go on the early Diablo's but a 98 to have a head gasket leak is not unheard of either. Just not as common. Belive it or not the job can be done with the enigne still in the car.

Leak is near the manifold at the heads. Not on fire wall or closer to exhaust. Only way I can think how to describe exactly where it's coming from.

Not suprising. Could lead to a bigger problem if it decides to really go. I personally have not yet heard someone needing to have a head re torqued. I would think that there may some other under-lining problem. My vote is for Wil DeGroot in Frenchtown.

I personally have not yet heard someone needing to have a head re torqued.

Thats wishfull thinking, in my business thats the kind of failure yacht owners wish for when we tell them they might need head gaskets....

My 99SV is in the shop as we speak having the cam and valve cover gaskets replaced. And it did get worse REALLY quick. And NO they are not removing the engine to the job. Lambo Denver quoted approx $1500 for the job + parts. And when they inspectd it they tried "re-tourqing" the bolts and they said they were already too tight, so this may have been tried before who knows.

Will has given me a quote to pull the motor, replace the head gaskets and do 15k service. Approx 36 hrs for $2,880 plus parts (Did not get parts price from his supplier yet). He also is going to resurface the clutch, replace the clutch release bearing, and pilot bearing for $1,265. Seems like a resonable price. Any input?

Will has given me a quote to pull the motor, replace the head gaskets and do 15k service. Approx 36 hrs for $2,880 plus parts (Did not get parts price from his supplier yet). He also is going to resurface the clutch, replace the clutch release bearing, and pilot bearing for $1,265. Seems like a resonable price. Any input?

DO IT!

I would definitely do what WIl suggests. He is a very knowledgeable mechanic, and it would be a shame to have to pull the motor twice.

Allan. You gotta tell me what kind of wheels are on your car!

Yes I agree with everyone. I received prices from other shops, that could'nt touch these numbers. I even was quoted $26k by a dealer for just the motor pull and 15k service!

Yes I agree with everyone. I received prices from other shops, that could'nt touch these numbers. I even was quoted $26k by a dealer for just the motor pull and 15k service!

What dealer ?

The guys are right, Wil knows the cars.. and does great work from what I have seen on lambos he has worked on..

George Evans (www.evansauto.com) and Wil DeGroot (www.exoticars-usa.com) are among only a few I would let touch my car... we could go on for pages about who NOT to do to....but with you those two, you cant go wrong.

The wheels on my Sv are Lowenharts. 19's in the back, 18's up front. The rear tires are 355-25-19's.