Stock SLR vs modded Sl65 video

Allan-Herbie

They are the same HP aren't they? Whats the weight difference? Looks like the SL caught up at the end.

Sl65 is modded.

The dealer just picked up an sl65 and slr from a local owner and drove them back about 200 miles. The drivers said the sl65 was as fast as the slr on the high way and more comfortable, but the slr was a head turner and did much much better in the twisties which we all knew. I love the slr but we have no tracks here so from light to light I want what is faster. I am sure you can ship the slr to kleemann and have them turn it up to 700hp and walk almost anything on the road. The down side for me on the slr is MB taking it to you on parts etc. I know the dealer said brake job was like 20-30k and the was a bad alternator on the slr...... 5k if not under warranty yet it is the same alternator as the other 55 engines?

The dealer just picked up an sl65 and slr from a local owner and drove them back about 200 miles. The drivers said the sl65 was as fast as the slr on the high way and more comfortable, but the slr was a head turner and did much much better in the twisties which we all knew. I love the slr but we have no tracks here so from light to light I want what is faster. I am sure you can ship the slr to kleemann and have them turn it up to 700hp and walk almost anything on the road. The down side for me on the slr is MB taking it to you on parts etc. I know the dealer said brake job was like 20-30k and the was a bad alternator on the slr...... 5k if not under warranty yet it is the same alternator as the other 55 engines?

Stock SLR is faster than a Stock SL65. No question about that.

I've seen a vid where the SL wins a roll without even getting a head start. And for all we know that SLR could be tuned too... Ths SLR got blasted in the end of the vid, and you can see that the SLR is at top speed.

I've seen a vid where the SL wins a roll without even getting a head start. And for all we know that SLR could be tuned too... Ths SLR got blasted in the end of the vid, and you can see that the SLR is at top speed.

Or it could be a 722.

Stock vs Stock, the slr should win. Depending on the mods on the sl65, it should still win. If the sl65 has the full brabus, Kleeman or Renntech tuning, the slr would be in trouble.

Or it could be a 722.

Stock vs Stock, the slr should win. Depending on the mods on the sl65, it should still win. If the sl65 has the full brabus, Kleeman or Renntech tuning, the slr would be in trouble.

No ifs ands or buts, stock for stock, SLR will walk a sl65. No problem. A regular SLR will walk a Murcielago Lp640 from 30-150mph.

I ran against an SL65 last weekend.Although my car wasn't broken in it was not contest.The SL just doesn't put the power down and in the twisties it was an even bigger mismatch.

The 722 obviously takes the SL easily in the twisties. The SL is a big fat powerful cruiser.

Intersting thing though.The 722 is twitchy in the corners.I will find out more when i go to the track but i think it will be a handful if the roads are not smooth.

No ifs ands or buts, stock for stock, SLR will walk a sl65. No problem. A regular SLR will walk a Murcielago Lp640 from 30-150mph.

I am glad you said that I was going to ask you which is faster? The slr is a good price right now and has that muscle car sound where as the lp640 looks great and with the right exhaust sounds well.... exotic. Are you still looking for an slr or did you buy one?

The dealer just picked up an sl65 and slr from a local owner and drove them back about 200 miles. The drivers said the sl65 was as fast as the slr on the high way and more comfortable,

the dealer is a liar or doesnt know how to drive. i drove both back to back to back over 2 hours.

anyone who thinks the sl65 is as fast as the sl65 hasnt driven them before. the sl65 feels out of control at full wide open speeds, the slr feels completely in control.

Intersting thing though.The 722 is twitchy in the corners.I will find out more when i go to the track but i think it will be a handful if the roads are not smooth.

so is the regular SLR and quite frankly is not inspiring much confidence. thats why i asked u the other day about tire pressures. do u know when u r going to the track yet?

Aram, run with an LP640. although your car would win I want to see what an LP640 can do

Well, with only two 722's in Canada, and I would have to say not many more 640's, it may be hard to line up. Although, Aram might have a touch of pull at LofT, and pull out that 640. Although, I have a feeling the 722 pulls pretty well the entire range.

Looks like the SL caught up at the end.

The SL had to be modded. Aren't they factory limited to like 155 or 165mph or something?

Well, with only two 722's in Canada, and I would have to say not many more 640's, it may be hard to line up. Although, Aram might have a touch of pull at LofT, and pull out that 640. Although, I have a feeling the 722 pulls pretty well the entire range.

from a roll the 722 is obviously gonna win unless it has some major traction issues.

I am glad you said that I was going to ask you which is faster? The slr is a good price right now and has that muscle car sound where as the lp640 looks great and with the right exhaust sounds well.... exotic. Are you still looking for an slr or did you buy one?

I am actively looking for a black/red slr. There arent any. They are all silver.

Today I drove the SLR and SL65 (both stock, non-modded) back to back and the SLR is definately faster. You can feel it. The SL65 just feels softer and *maybe* more sloppy. SLR feels tight and crisp. SLR just keeps pulling. I think the SL65 isn't worth close to the sticker price they go for. Modded they can be pretty nutz though

How do you know the SL65 is modded. Since this is in the Middle East - do you know the owner. I am betting it is stock SL65 against a SLR - which the pull on the SLR would dominate just like it did... Just curious to why you think it is modded.

On a modded note. A buddy has a Barbus modded 06 SL65. The thing is almost scary to handle. I really did not like the back end getting out from around you with just the slighest touch of the right peddal.

Since I haven't driven the SLR - I assume it handles much better than my buddies Barbus modded SL65. It honesly felt like a friends Ford GT he had modded, almost to the point of not enjoyable due to - to much power.

Our dealer had an SLR that I went to drive, but they sold it before I could get a chance to get over there to take it for a spin. I would love to here if those who have ridden in a modded Renn or Barbus SL - compare it to the SLR or is the SLR more controlled power - AKA built for the power that it has.

How do you know the SL65 is modded.

Because they are factory limited to either 155 or 165. So, the sl would have had to have been chipped to remove the limiter, which generally also provide for more boost. Otherwise, the sl would've hit a brick wall on the top end and not pulled like it did.

How do you know the SL65 is modded. Since this is in the Middle East - do you know the owner. I am betting it is stock SL65 against a SLR - which the pull on the SLR would dominate just like it did... Just curious to why you think it is modded.

On a modded note. A buddy has a Barbus modded 06 SL65. The thing is almost scary to handle. I really did not like the back end getting out from around you with just the slighest touch of the right peddal.

Since I haven't driven the SLR - I assume it handles much better than my buddies Barbus modded SL65. It honesly felt like a friends Ford GT he had modded, almost to the point of not enjoyable due to - to much power.

Our dealer had an SLR that I went to drive, but they sold it before I could get a chance to get over there to take it for a spin. I would love to here if those who have ridden in a modded Renn or Barbus SL - compare it to the SLR or is the SLR more controlled power - AKA built for the power that it has.

As someone already said, the SL65 cannot go over 155mph without being modded, and this one passed the SLR going over 300kmh.