The "official" ab's Lamborghini Diablo make over thread

ab

You are not only a terrific mechanic but an artist as well.

Given the spike in public interest in collectable cars, you should very well consider approaching a venue such as The Discovery Channel with your work. What you have demonstrated thus far makes American Chopper look almost passe in comparison.

Please produce a video; I will be one of the first in line to purchase. I personally am a mechanic and am collecting any and all information relating to the mechanics of the Lamborghini as I plan to purchase one later this year to restore.

Thank you for a fantastic write-up.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I am coming back to the states from Korea. I can't wait to tackle some more stuff on the Lambo! More updates to come.

Thanks for all the nice words and compliments everyone. I like posting stuff like this because it could help someone else down the road. But the stuff I am doing now is just general stuff, if I get to do the DVD, it will be way more detailed than what I am doing.

Just a few pictures from yesterday.

I bought these mushroom polishers and they worked great at polishing the velocity stacks. Smoother the surface the faster the air can travel and less turbulence. It probably won't make a huge difference, but heck..like I said..details! details!

DSC01187.JPG

DSC01189.JPG

DSC01190.JPG

DSC01193.JPG

more to come.

Here's a few more from this afternoon. I am done for the weekend. I am starting to feel the jet lag from traveling. So more next week.

I started to put the valve covers on and the oil breather box.

DSC01194.JPG

DSC01195.JPG

DSC01196.JPG

DSC01197.JPG

DSC01198.JPG

DSC01204.JPG

DSC01205.JPG

DSC01206.JPG

DSC01207.JPG

DSC01208.JPG

DSC01209.JPG

DSC01211.JPG

DSC01213.JPG

DSC01214.JPG

DSC01215.JPG

DSC01217.JPG

Enjoy! I will post more later.

DAMMN those Roy threads.. hes wasted his online time in there, when he could have been showing new WIP's (work in progress's)... ahh well

ab,

I dont now you but I do respect you and the work you do. It's a piece of art. There are not many people out there as passionate as you as we can see from your rebuilt. Honestly speaking I am speechless. You are very good!

Today I didn't get too much done. I have very little time these days because of work. It's keeping me very busy, but I got something done today and saved myself a bundle. Doing a little is better than nothing at all!

I must have lost my heat shield for my passenger side axle that covers the rubber boot from the headers. It must have fallen off. I looked up the part # and Lamborghini wanted over $350 for the simple heat shield. Now I am a distrubutor of Lamborghini parts and can get great pricing for myself or anyone on here, but even at my cost it was still too much for me to eat. So I decided to make my own part.

Here is the diagram of the part in question. It's part number#8

079_25_01_00.gif

I took the original heat shield and made a copy of it. I used the original as a mold.

DSC01218.JPG

I put wax paper on it so that way it would release the part I am making.

DSC01219.JPG

Here is the fiberglass resin I just mixed in the bowl.

DSC01220.JPG

Fiberglass matting I am going to use.

DSC01221.JPG

Cutting small squares to layer on the mold.

DSC01222.JPG

Putting a layer of fiberglass on the original part.

DSC01223.JPG

First layer on.

DSC01224.JPG

DSC01225.JPG

Putting on multiple layers

DSC01226.JPG

Five total layers

DSC01227.JPG

DSC01228.JPG

Put another layer of wax paper on top to press out all the air bubbles and air pockets. Then I let it cure for a few hours.

DSC01231.JPG

After it cured, I peeled off the wax paper.

DSC01232.JPG

here is the finished product after it cured. I took the original shield and traced it on the new piece.

DSC01233.JPG

I then cut it with my air saw.

DSC01233.JPG

DSC01235.JPG

After I cut out the piece. Now it's starting to look like a heat shield.

DSC01236.JPG

DSC01237.JPG

DSC01238.JPG

Nice and thick!

DSC01239.JPG

DSC01241.JPG

Here it is after I painted it with 1200 degree paint. I need to drill it and put the bracket on it. Then it's done! Didn't come out too bad for my first time. More to come later. I want to get this car back on the road before the end of July. I will be getting my pinion gear lashed this week. After that is done, it will be going back together pretty quickly.

Thanks for all the nice comments.

Now I am a distrubutor of Lamborghini parts and can get great pricing for myself or anyone on here, but even at my cost it was still too much for me to eat.

WTF?! When did this happen? Did you plan on telling us about this development?!

LOL! Mike.

I can't afford the site sponsorship as of yet. So I don't want to cheat the system. But yes, I can help anyone one out on the parts and can beat most prices out there. Some times the parts take a little while to get if I don't have them in stock and I need to have them ordered through Italy. But in all I will save my pennies up to be a site sponsor. Can I take a partial credit for all this work and posting? LOL!

Wow! ab your work is awesome! Where did you learn all that mechanics and how and what to use when cleaning stuff, where to get the ultra sonic testing etc?

Great project!

I am hoping for end of July. Not in a big rush...but do want to drive it this summer. I was always embarrassed to open my engine hood up on my lambo because it was dirty looking and when I decided I was going to do all my own majors myself, I decided to make it look good while I was at it. Figure I would share with everyone. I am self taught on all my work. When I really dig into it, I really dig in it.

I made this system for my Viper all myself and did all the fabrication work myself too. Car put down 900 RWHP.

440DSC05391.jpg

Bravo! Outstanding once again. You mentioned earlier that someone called you cheap...that's nonsense, you are a craftsman extraordinaire. I love your posts because I work the same way, just dig in and learn as I go. You've got to make a DVD of this project.

I will hopefully make a DVD, but this thread would be no where near what I would produce.

In all I am cheap...but at the same time there are people on here that would just write out a check and enjoy thier ride. Me, I don't want to write out a check like that, but on the flip side, I don't get to enjoy the car as much on the road. But the good news is I will know this car inside and out and will be able to trouble shoot the car myself or most of it myself. There is a sense of pride doing it yourself. But nothing wrong with the people who pay others also.

The reason why I am doing this thread is in hopes to run for President someday. First Korean president...eh? :eusa_think: :icon_mrgreen: Tax breaks for all Lambo owners and heavy taxes on the SLR owners. :icon_mrgreen:

First Korean president...eh? :eusa_think: :icon_mrgreen: Tax breaks for all Lambo owners and heavy taxes on the SLR owners. :icon_mrgreen:

Kimchee a national food?!

Kimchee a national food?!

That will be my slogan. "vote for mee and have some kimchee!"