on the topic of other cars...

MANG

I spent the past 6 months, not only remodeling my damaged home, but searching pretty much from LA to northern Cali, to look at Alfa Romeo's (from Guilia's to any spyder really) and Porsche 930's. I landed a nice 930 back a few months ago and posted photos.....now just the last few weeks I stumbled on to an AMAZING little Alfa Spider that was painstakingly restored by a TRUE Alfisti. I read the threads, studied the photos and just knew it was something special. I boldly flew down to LA on Sunday with enough $$ to meet his asking price IF the car was what I thought it was. I was paying probably the highest price ever for a series 2 spider, but felt it still might be a good buy....

have a look at these threads......you may not be able to view photos unless you are a member, so I will eventually take detailed photos of it for you since I bought it!!

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=43167

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=2787

all I can say is WOW - I flew in, spent 15 minutes buying the car and then jumped in it and drove 500 miles in 7 hours, with 2 meal stops and 1 fuel stop, dodging CHP's and NHP's on an amazingly beautiful scenic drive through the eastern sierra's. The car is a freakin GAS - I recommend everyone find one!! I also got 29 miles to the gallon - a little better than the CT!!

Now I have to stop buying CARS - help me, I NEED help!!!! :eusa_doh:

Here is a photo that I know you can at least see....doesn't do it any justice - it is over the top amazing...for example the owner spent two years just prepping the body for paint!!

post-9329-1181742596_thumb.jpg

I had one of those once, wish I'd never have sold it. They're a LOT of fun as you found out. That one looks gorgeous, enjoy it! :)

I spent the past 6 months, not only remodeling my damaged home, but searching pretty much from LA to northern Cali, to look at Alfa Romeo's (from Guilia's to any spyder really) and Porsche 930's. I landed a nice 930 back a few months ago and posted photos.....now just the last few weeks I stumbled on to an AMAZING little Alfa Spider that was painstakingly restored by a TRUE Alfisti. I read the threads, studied the photos and just knew it was something special. I boldly flew down to LA on Sunday with enough $$ to meet his asking price IF the car was what I thought it was. I was paying probably the highest price ever for a series 2 spider, but felt it still might be a good buy....

have a look at these threads......you may not be able to view photos unless you are a member, so I will eventually take detailed photos of it for you since I bought it!!

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=43167

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=2787

all I can say is WOW - I flew in, spent 15 minutes buying the car and then jumped in it and drove 500 miles in 7 hours, with 2 meal stops and 1 fuel stop, dodging CHP's and NHP's on an amazingly beautiful scenic drive through the eastern sierra's. The car is a freakin GAS - I recommend everyone find one!! I also got 29 miles to the gallon - a little better than the CT!!

Now I have to stop buying CARS - help me, I NEED help!!!! :eusa_doh:

Here is a photo that I know you can at least see....doesn't do it any justice - it is over the top amazing...for example the owner spent two years just prepping the body for paint!!

great looking car....congrats on the purchase :icon_thumleft:

some recent photos of my new baby.....

EVERY single part on this car was refurbished (chromed, powder coated, polished, or replaced with new), down to each and every screw, it is extremely tight and clean. A VERY fun car to drive!

post-9329-1182479529_thumb.jpg

post-9329-1182479552_thumb.jpg

post-9329-1182479575_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

how has been your overall experience with the Spider?

have you put some miles on it,and if yes ca you write a litlle about it?

i have 3 alfas at the moment but all modern ones, and i was considering one of those spider for some summer fun...just a weeknd car, to have at the beach house....

all I can say is DO IT!!!

I will post photos later...but amazing fun car... I may actually acquire another as a 'driver' lol...but I now have two museum pieces - really! :eusa_doh:

some photos from home....she has a 'bum' ignition so it is grounded right now - damn Italian cars! :eusa_wall:

post-9329-1193396758_thumb.jpg

post-9329-1193396830_thumb.jpg

post-9329-1193396907_thumb.jpg

post-9329-1193396969_thumb.jpg

I have since added a set of Cromodora 'daytona's' - original magnesium, sand blasted and powder coated...my favorite period correct wheels for these cars. I also have a set of Panasports, this car has more shoes than Imelda Marcos!

post-9329-1193397496_thumb.jpg

post-9329-1193397612_thumb.jpg

post-9329-1193397744_thumb.jpg

Stunning car. Amazing that someone would go through the trouble and expense on a car like that. He clearly did it out of love, because there is no way he recoved his costs. I have a '69 Fiat 124 Spider I would love to get to that condition, but I can't bring myself to spend that much money on it. I'm just glad there are still people like him out there. Enjoy!

Mike

Congrats on the new toy !!!

Ya know, we all need medical help. Most likely 1/2 the guyz in this thread, are almost always thinking of the next toy they are going to buy, while reading old auto rags in the loo. :icon_mrgreen:

:icon_super:

Stunning car. Amazing that someone would go through the trouble and expense on a car like that. He clearly did it out of love, because there is no way he recoved his costs. I have a '69 Fiat 124 Spider I would love to get to that condition, but I can't bring myself to spend that much money on it. I'm just glad there are still people like him out there. Enjoy!

Exactly....This Alfa is as clean underneath as it is on top with polished stainless exhaust, all kinds of internal tricks, from lightweight gears, to higher horsepower 'built' motor, etc. - ALL THE TRICKS. Upholstery is top notch leather and EVERYTHING is new. the whole restoration is documented with color photos, etc. A TRUE LABOR OF LOVE. They spent $32K on parts and restoration labor - on an already clean rust free tight '73 spider and the fellow that built it confessed to me that he has thousands of unbilled hours of his own labor in it. The worked on a rotisserie perfecting the chassis/body for SIX MONTHS prior to paint - just a beaufiful restoration!

the coolest thing about this whole deal is that the very nice gentleman that did this project, then sold to me, has acquired a euro dino spider that will get the same if not better treatment (he now knows the whole project hands on).

Mike

Congrats on the new toy !!!

Ya know, we all need medical help. Most likely 1/2 the guyz in this thread, are almost always thinking of the next toy they are going to buy, while reading old auto rags in the loo. :icon_mrgreen:

:icon_super:

Thanks Ralph, always a pleasure to read your (humorous and witty) posts. This one was no exception! :lol2:

I've owened 8 Alfa's, great cars. Here is my last one.

Absolutely awesome! You have great taste in mods, etc. Alfa's are hidden gems. Styling, sound, drive....

being in Europe at least you won't have to convert to 'euro' style (definitely the better look - side marker lights...carello headlight covers). Rust is the greatest enemy of all, so perhaps finding one stateside is an option to consider. The Alfa Bulletin Board is a great resource.

I think these series 2 spiders are the best 'bargain' collectible cars out there - beautiful alternative to a dino (similar front end styling - courtesy of pininfarina) at about 1/20th the price.

the duetto or boattail's are cool, but have already escalated in price. The series 2's have the way cooler interior!

being in Europe at least you won't have to convert to 'euro' style (definitely the better look - side marker lights...carello headlight covers). Rust is the greatest enemy of all, so perhaps finding one stateside is an option to consider. The Alfa Bulletin Board is a great resource.

I think these series 2 spiders are the best 'bargain' collectible cars out there - beautiful alternative to a dino (similar front end styling - courtesy of pininfarina) at about 1/20th the price.

the duetto or boattail's are cool, but have already escalated in price. The series 2's have the way cooler interior!

i went testing some spyder's yesterday and OH MY they are really fun...you can cruise around with them all day long...i'm with you Series 2 are the way to go...

i ended up buying a MINT 155 Widebody but i am trying to close a deal on a series 2 white spyder... :eusa_dance:

white is one of the better colors for sure. Wheels are so varied on these cars....factory steel and turbina's are 'original', but period correct alternative's are plentiful and to me make or break the look of these little gems. Look into Cromodora 'daytona's' (my favorite), Momo 'vega's' - very cool looking, melber major's, shankle's, panasports, to name a few. These all look awesome on a white spider.

• 2 weeks later...

some shots detailing the ridiculous high level of restoration this car has undergone...it is without doubt the finest of it's kind, and FAR better than anything Alfa Romeo built for the public at their factory. Full of interesting and FAST bits.......

post-9329-1194806028_thumb.jpg

post-9329-1194806091_thumb.jpg

more photos....I was in the garage measuring today and I realized I am going to be able to get all three of my cars....Countach, 930, and this little Alfa in a 'two car' garage....luckily it is a bit oversized and that Alfa is tiny! I will post photos in about a week.

post-9329-1194806476_thumb.jpg

post-9329-1194806677_thumb.jpg