Range Rover HSE or Porsche Cayenne S

rhunt

I put my CL55 AMG on ebay today because I need another 4wd vehicle. I am considering a 2005 Range Rover HSE or a 2005 Porsche Cayenne S. What do you think is the better vehicle and why? Do you have any other recommendations other than the 2 listed above for under $50k? Thanks for the input.

Rob

It depends on what you want to use the car for. The Range Rover is an excellent 4WD SUV so it is good for offroading. It has lots of space. The Porsche Cayenne S is the best when it comes to handling corners. It is for the person who wants more of an onroad type of car. It does lack space. It shares the Toureg platform. However, performance wise, the Porsche will kick the Range Rover's ass anyday. :icon_thumleft:

Guest skokos

talk about comparing apples and oranges.

you first need to ask yourself..do you want a SUV or a sports car??

Range Rover all the way. That thing is the rolls royce of SUV's, smooth ride, plush interior, excellent options and still good performance.

I've only driven a Cayenne a couple of times and yes, its sporty, it handles good and all but all around range rover is the way to go! If you can raise your budget,

opt for a '06 Supercharged.

Just my 2 cents.

- Jerry

talk about comparing apples and oranges.

you first need to ask yourself..do you want a SUV or a sports car??

:eusa_think: The Cayenne is an SUV. Are you confusing Cayenne with Cayman? I did at first read.

I test drove both... When I had a new car in the garage... It was the Cayenne.

Based on the 04 Cayenne we have at work (other than power output I don't know the difference between the Cayenne and S sorry) I would go for the Range Rover for more room, more capable offroad (imo) and generally just feels like more of an offroader than the Cayenne. That said, if it's just for road and a bigger vehicle, I'd get the Cayenne.

I bought an 06 Range Rover after test driving a bunch of SUVs, including the Cayenne S and Turbo. Other than exterior styling (which is subjective), I think in all honesty the Cayennes beat the Rover in all categories.

In the end, I bought the Rover though simply because I have an unmitigated hatred for Porsche, which is irrational and baseless. :icon_mrgreen:

g55amg: topgear g55

...rovers are too common, cayennes are trying to be a sports car

I don't think I will buy Mercedes anymore, I have been very disappointed with their service as of late. Not to mention the fact that I bought my wife a new SLK 350 and when she takes it in for service, they try to give her a Hyundai loaner car instead of a Mercedes. I have to call them everytime and refuse to take the car and explain that when I purchased the car, the salesman told me that we would have a Mercedes loaner. The best service I have had is from Jaguar, they will pick your car up, drop off a Jaguar loaner car and switch the cars back out when the service is complete, the only problem is that Jag doesn't make a SUV. The Land Rover dealer in my town has excellent service as well, that is what is making me lean towards the RR.

If i were you , i would go neither of them. ML63 is a great combination of SUV+Performance

I have owned both RR Vogue and Cayenne S. But sold them. RR i slow but much much comfortable than Cayenne, Cayenne is fast and handling is great for a 2200kg SUV. Performance is good. I did 252kmh on digital speedo.

But there is something wrong with the Cayenne IMO. The edge view and the back view from driver side is limited. I think the position of the front edge stick not so good.

And the disadvantge of RR is the performance and the handling. It oscillates like pendulum at high speeds, when try to make a sudden turn. Also it happens when you turn the curves with high speed.

RR for comfort, Cayenne S for sportive SUV ride.

Good luck with the purchase

In the end, I bought the Rover though simply because I have an unmitigated hatred for Porsche, which is irrational and baseless. :icon_mrgreen:

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Porsche handles great, better than any suv i've driven, but i don;t like the pre 2007 looks of it. My uncle had a range rover a couple of years ago. The first week the car had some trouble with the pneumatic suspension, after that a check engine light, and then again a problem with the suspension, which was replaced at only 1000 km on the car. He had the diesel which is unbelievably slow! 174 hp for a 2,5 ton monster is waaaaay underpowered! He sold it after a month and bought an X5. Great car!

Not to bash on RRs, i understand most of the problems got fixed by now, so i suggest you drive them both and decide which suits your needs better. The interior of the RR is the best of all SUVs imo.

RR if you cant get one that never breaks down, mine have all been hit or miss...either they run great with zero problems or they are in the shop every week or two.

I drive a Range Rover - albeit it is an old school one, but I love it. I live in Tahoe where winter storms are intense and it is the perfect car for me. My good friend has a Cayenne so I am a passenger and have driven it a lot as well (I am often designated driver). The Porsche kicks the RR ass as stated by others in ALL the performance categories....but I still like the looks of the RR WAY MORE - Cayenne's are just UGLY! Consider a well kept old school RR - mine has all the bells and whistles, navigation, etc. I put fresh Bilstein's on it, heavy duty springs and oversized all-terrain ta's on it and it has a GREAT LOOK - see photos, also my buddy's Cayenne parked close to the CT. I do like the RR sport supercharged - looks nice!

post-9329-1182469453_thumb.jpg

post-9329-1182469504_thumb.jpg

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Porsche handles great, better than any suv i've driven, but i don;t like the pre 2007 looks of it. My uncle had a range rover a couple of years ago. The first week the car had some trouble with the pneumatic suspension, after that a check engine light, and then again a problem with the suspension, which was replaced at only 1000 km on the car. He had the diesel which is unbelievably slow! 174 hp for a 2,5 ton monster is waaaaay underpowered! He sold it after a month and bought an X5. Great car!

Not to bash on RRs, i understand most of the problems got fixed by now, so i suggest you drive them both and decide which suits your needs better. The interior of the RR is the best of all SUVs imo.

Ameer some Range Rovers had some common problems. I couldnt figure out why. Once i have been made a urgent stop suddenly while cruising because of a BROKEN SHAFT PART. The car stopped and tow car came and take it to service. They changed the broken part and i ve been told common problem of 2003 Range Rovers. Threy changed it under full warranty. Also heard some TDV6 RR Sports had some fuel pump problems but then later MY it is fixed. Now RR fixed most common problems

But honestly the comfort of RR , only a Mercedes S can give the same comfort.

Ameer some Range Rovers had some common problems. I couldnt figure out why. Once i have been made a urgent stop suddenly while cruising because of a BROKEN SHAFT PART. The car stopped and tow car came and take it to service. They changed the broken part and i ve been told common problem of 2003 Range Rovers. Threy changed it under full warranty. Also heard some TDV6 RR Sports had some fuel pump problems but then later MY it is fixed. Now RR fixed most common problems

But honestly the comfort of RR , only a Mercedes S can give the same comfort.

I agree it is a very comfortable car, but the first models were a disaster reliability wise IMO. Plus i hated the shitty diesel 174 hp !!!

Don't know anything about the RR sport tough i understand they did not have as many issues as the first RR.

And the thing is that when they did the facelift a year and a half ago and changed the BMW engines to Ford engines, i lost the little confidence i still had in them.

The Cayenne S versus the Range Rover. I would choose the Range Rover, because it is entirely SUV, while the Cayenne S is more TSC or "Tall Sports Car". The Cayenne has a comfortable loading capacity but not that of desirable multi-use SUV's like the Range Rover. The Cayenne S is very luxurious, comfortable, and just, I love it. It was designed to handle like a sports car and does quite well.

HOWEVER, to me, if u are going to get the Cayenne, get the Turbo or the Turbo S, :icon_super: which isn't really in ur range right now unless u can find a deal . I don't think it's worth owning a Cayenne unless u go Turbo or TS to be truely honest. The Cayenne S is boring compared to those two.

My choice would be the Range Rover, roomier, all around elegant and comfortable. Definitely there is more confidence in the RR's all-terrain all-season reliability. The Cayenne S, meh it's more "sportsee without the balls of it's bigger brothers".

Range Rover all the way for reliability, capacity, size, and all-terrain strength.

Guest skokos
:eusa_think: The Cayenne is an SUV. Are you confusing Cayenne with Cayman? I did at first read.

LOL yes,my mistake!

I bought an 06 Range Rover after test driving a bunch of SUVs, including the Cayenne S and Turbo. Other than exterior styling (which is subjective), I think in all honesty the Cayennes beat the Rover in all categories.

:icon_mrgreen:

i had bad experiences with the Range and Land Rover marque...reliability has benn an issue, and i had a 01RR,02Discovery,03Defender all of them gave me problems...

keep in mind that at the time i drove 10.000km\a month...

but you know what?

even with the reliablity issues i want another Range Rover, they are amazing SUV so confy, they provide a totally different driving experience...and the looks are amazing...

go to a RR Supercharged :icon_thumleft: