Airstrip event? Lets do it!

I am going to devote some time and effort into this. I think it could be AWESOME.

It's going to take a lot of effort. Most places have no interest because they are so terrified of litigation. I'd suggest calling the Texas Mile and SSC people to get references and whatnot. You can look at insurance through K&K. I've rented El Toro and they had very little interest in putting the full 11,000 feet to good use, and that's about as big a runway as you can get.

Good luck, will be great if it comes off.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's at all possible make sure you film the hell out of it. I could see a kickass DVD coming from all of this. Since I can't be there I'd buy! If done right of course...

I think that its a great idea. Matching up period cars to period cars create more interest. My Jalopy would even be a contender.

No more magazine tests with a bunch of jackasses driving. Finally some real world results. It sounds like a great idea if you can get it to come to fruition Allan.

I think it would also be cool, to see some classic matchups. Like the cars we dreamed about as kids, (atleast some of us did), say Countach QV vs Testarossa, 308 vs Jalopy, 92 Diablo vs 92 512TR etc etc.

I am going to devote some time and effort into this. I think it could be AWESOME.

I'm guessing you've already considered the event at a track, simply running quarters with all the cars you're considering, correct? While that wouldn't give you 0-150 times you would still be able to get some meaningful data, and it would be much easier to stage.

I'm guessing you've already considered the event at a track, simply running quarters with all the cars you're considering, correct? While that wouldn't give you 0-150 times you would still be able to get some meaningful data, and it would be much easier to stage.

Id like to stage something that people can also go from a rolling start.

Id like to stage something that people can also go from a rolling start.

Gotcha. I'm wondering if the local authorities would grant permission to using a strip of public roadway, closed off for the day. Something similar to what the French Quarter is able to get each year. I don't mean a complete state of lawlessness, but rather something in a controlled environment with guidelines and even participation by the authorities if that would grant the permit.

Gotcha. I'm wondering if the local authorities would grant permission to using a strip of public roadway, closed off for the day. Something similar to what the French Quarter is able to get each year. I don't mean a complete state of lawlessness, but rather something in a controlled environment with guidelines and even participation by the authorities if that would grant the permit.

Since I hate dealing with any sort of government agencies, i wont be trying that route! :icon_mrgreen:

Since I hate dealing with any sort of government agencies, i wont be trying that route! :icon_mrgreen:

Fair enough :D Just figured that you boys probably have some connections around town and you might be able to pull some appropriate strings.

Fair enough :D Just figured that you boys probably have some connections around town and you might be able to pull some appropriate strings.

Ill make some calls tommorow and see what we come up with.

Allan, you will never get a public road. I looked into this about a year ago and then it got sidetracked.

An airfield is your only shot at this.

The setup a few weeks ago never got off the ground. I dont think they had all the logistics worked out. Its pretty challenging to get everything worked out in terms of safety, rules, insurance, etc. If you run into an insurance issue, let me know, I had found someone who would cover an event like this.

Maybe I should get back to beating that drum here in CA and see if I can make something happen.

Theres always the road we did the bike/POS/supra/murci stuff on. 2+ miles in the middle of nowhere, with no issues, all day. However, its a two lane road, and its at altitude.

Legally i can only imagine the logistics of this kind of event. I hope this works out you can call it "The Lambo Power All Out Event" :)

Keep us updated and if there is anything us boys on the other half of the map, let us know! Maybe get some sponsors involved?

Legally i can only imagine the logistics of this kind of event. I hope this works out you can call it "The Lambo Power All Out Event" :)

Keep us updated and if there is anything us boys on the other half of the map, let us know! Maybe get some sponsors involved?

I think the only venue will be a race track event, or abaondoned airstrip.. With people trying to protect their asses, nobody will put themselves on the line for responsibility if something should go wrong. In this sue happy environment, events like this seldom become reality.

But, with an old airstrip somewhere, in the desert, that might work. Dont know if there are any that are the length you need, but its certainly worth investigating.

I think the only venue will be a race track event, or abaondoned airstrip.. With people trying to protect their asses, nobody will put themselves on the line for responsibility if something should go wrong. In this sue happy environment, events like this seldom become reality.

But, with an old airstrip somewhere, in the desert, that might work. Dont know if there are any that are the length you need, but its certainly worth investigating.

The only concern i would have with an abandoned one is the condition it is in. I realize that out west they don't have the moisture changes that the midwest and east coast has, but what about just old age, and would it still be safe? I really hope this event works out, that would be incredible.

I would be down.

We should make a little trip out of it and go somewhere cool where there is night life etc...

I would be down.

We should make a little trip out of it and go somewhere cool where there is night life etc...

I would be up for that.

when our group was asked to participate in filming for a tv show, they closed off an access road that ran parallel to I-15. Totally legal, we even had the cops that closed off the road radaring us and egging us on to go faster :shock: :eusa_dance:

If they can do it, I don't see why we can't, especially if we turn it into a charity thing.

The only problem with that road was that it was kindof bumpy and things got a little stressful after about 150mph.

I use Google Satellite Maps to find places to sass--air strips, big parking lots, long straightaways--it kicks ass; a number of them have panned out.

I found a fcuking oval race track about five miles from me that could only be seen with the street grids turned off; turned out to be a private company's test facility.

fcuk, So Grant had recommened I call Tustin Air Force Base. After speaking with them, they will NOT allow any side by side racing, they want cone courses, and speeds no higher than highway speeds. They said the Ferrari Club uses them all the time. I said no wonder, thats perfect for them.