Looking to buy an Audi RS4

marc_anthony

Hey all,

I have been debating on 3 cars to get for the last 3-4 months. Either 07 Audi RS4, 06 BMW M3 or wait it out until early 09 for the new M3. After much thought, I have decided to go with the RS4 for a number of reasons. I love Audi and feel the car is more complete - it is better than the M3 in terms of fit and finish. I also like the 4 door and AWD to compliment a number of other reasons.

Anyways, I have a few questions for you other owners and enthusiasts. I am looking to pull the trigger between now and March, but we will see how patient I can be to find the "right" one, haha.

My biggest question deals with weight reduction. Other than rims to lower unsprung weight or carbon fiber exterior parts, what are the other ways? I know the RS4 is a hog at 3900+ pounds....I want to get lower than 3600 (or less) if possible.

How much weight is saved with the tubi or milliken (sp?) exahaust system?

How much weight is saved with aftermarket sport seats?

How much weight is saved by not getting the nav unit? (if any?)

I'm sure I'll have a ton of other questions, so sorry if I bug you in advance. Thanks a ton!

yeah, i looked at a lot of the forums - unfortunately they weren't as much help as i had hoped (so far, at least)

I doubt you'll see any noticeable weight savings by going with a new exhaust, aftermarket seats and deleting nav.

It's one thing when you have a real light car to begin with that's purpose built for track use (e.g. Superleggera, GT3 RS), but another when it's tipping the scales at 4000 lbs.

Get those items for reasons other than weight savings.

the purpose of those items wasn't merely weight savings, rather a by-product of getting them in the first place. i was told the seat are mad heavy in that car....what then, are ways I can reduce weight a substantial amount?

I hope your RS4 is electrical gremlin free - I sold mine after having it for 2 months because it was full of shit and they couldn't fix the problem. This is not the case with all RS4's though, I was just terribly unlucky. Lights wouldn't turn off, clutch gets stuck etc.

what then, are ways I can reduce weight a substantial amount?
By a substantial amount...there is no way. You either buy a 2 ton car, or you look elsewhere. The rims, seats and exhaust will help a little but it won't be anywhere close to 300+ pounds taken off. Anything more than that would require things like ripping out the entire interior or something equally as drastic. Have you driven an RS4? Believe you me, their performance belies their portly weight.

I've had several Audi RS / S's, and they are heavy yes, but they are just about the best DD I've ever had, primarily because Quattro+snow=funny shit!! I don't think there is much you can do about the weight if you don't want to pull out all the interior etc.

BTW, you wouldn't happen to have a wife named Jennifer Lopez? :eusa_think: