SLR Gurus...more questions

Allan-Herbie

#1. With the new johnson Cm30 pumps, should they be wired to run as soon as the igntition is turned on like was suggested with the stock pumps?

#2. If they should be, does this HElP performance, or maintain it ?

#3. Any advice for changing out the pumps to make it as easy as possible?

#4. Any other tweaks suggested to up performance other than exhaust?

Thank you!

1. yes

2. yes. keeps temps down.

3. refer to other post

4. didn't know anyone made exhaust.

Thank you again all knowing one! :icon_pray:

I guess Sam just did a custom exhaust on a car.

Without deleting the cats I can't see much gain to be had in the exhaust. Not sure if the tuners have figured out how to delete the cats on the SLR and not cause check engine lights.

As for the other AMG cars, they have figured out a way, but it involves relocating the o2 sensors and the ones I've seen look like shit. If I'm modding a $100k (or in your case $400k) I expect it to look professional and clean, IMO.

Without deleting the cats I can't see much gain to be had in the exhaust. Not sure if the tuners have figured out how to delete the cats on the SLR and not cause check engine lights.

As for the other AMG cars, they have figured out a way, but it involves relocating the o2 sensors and the ones I've seen look like shit. If I'm modding a $100k (or in your case $400k) I expect it to look professional and clean, IMO.

I agree, I will leave the exhaust stock.Car will be fast enough with the other mods.

kleemann can code out the cats. They did this on my e55 and also on the 65. They just find the string of code in the ecu and tell the ecu the cats are still there. I have heard though on the 55 motors that guys that went with a straight through design ending up losing some power. I know on the e55 they take away the primary cats and add down pipes but you still have another set of cats, resonators, mufflers and they gain about 10hp but the guys who have taken eveything out and went with new mufflers lost some power. I would just leave it allan as I think it is pretty free flowing. Look at the headers before the actual exhaust but I am sure they have a free flowing header as well but it is a good place to start. all the tuners start with pulley and ecu then move onth the headers and then into cams and tb. The slr has the 80mm tb and th 55 guys are using slr cams, you are doing the ecu and pulley and I am sure the headers are a free flowing long tube but maybe I am wrong. The ic pumps will keep the car cool and just wire them to be on once you turn the key. I am sure the pulley and ecu will feel great and with the ic pumps and your new 325's in rear the car should move out. You may look at the air filters as well.

The problem with the exhaust on the SLR is its very small. Header is part of the Cat. Both cats are together in one housing, not seperate units like usual. The header appears to be a tubular type(I'll have to dig through my pics). Then it bolts directly to the muffler and it shoots out right behind the front wheel. MB mufflers are usually pretty free flowing. I seriously doubt there is much to gain in the muffler itself, to justify the cost.

kleemann can code out the cats. They did this on my e55 and also on the 65. They just find the string of code in the ecu and tell the ecu the cats are still there. I have heard though on the 55 motors that guys that went with a straight through design ending up losing some power. I know on the e55 they take away the primary cats and add down pipes but you still have another set of cats, resonators, mufflers and they gain about 10hp but the guys who have taken eveything out and went with new mufflers lost some power. I would just leave it allan as I think it is pretty free flowing. Look at the headers before the actual exhaust but I am sure they have a free flowing header as well but it is a good place to start. all the tuners start with pulley and ecu then move onth the headers and then into cams and tb. The slr has the 80mm tb and th 55 guys are using slr cams, you are doing the ecu and pulley and I am sure the headers are a free flowing long tube but maybe I am wrong. The ic pumps will keep the car cool and just wire them to be on once you turn the key. I am sure the pulley and ecu will feel great and with the ic pumps and your new 325's in rear the car should move out. You may look at the air filters as well.

Ive got the air filters in already! Car goes to Alex on Monday! In all honesty, seeing as how this car runs stock, it now takes a pretty modified car just to run with it, let alone beat it. Once the mods are done, I know there will be cars that will still win, but they will be very few and far between, and out of exotics, youll need a Veyron to win.

once you get your car back I want to see you race a TT gallardo to see how they stack up. Even if other cars can beat you allan you have to admit the slr is easy to drive every day, has a trunk and if need be you could drive it for hours w/o getting tired.

once you get your car back I want to see you race a TT gallardo to see how they stack up. Even if other cars can beat you allan you have to admit the slr is easy to drive every day, has a trunk and if need be you could drive it for hours w/o getting tired.
I think the SLR and TT G will be close in the 1/4 , after that, the Gallardo should have no problem, especially knowing the Gallardo TT hits 200mph in a mile. Im hoping for maybe low 190's in the mile.

Ive got the air filters in already! Car goes to Alex on Monday! In all honesty, seeing as how this car runs stock, it now takes a pretty modified car just to run with it, let alone beat it. Once the mods are done, I know there will be cars that will still win, but they will be very few and far between, and out of exotics, youll need a Veyron to win.

Please tell me your doing ECU and S.C. pulley, and having Alex get MS to do a fabbed system for you? :icon_mrgreen:

Please tell me your doing ECU and S.C. pulley, and having Alex get MS to do a fabbed system for you? :icon_mrgreen:
You will not be dissapointed.

The problem with the exhaust on the SLR is its very small. Header is part of the Cat. Both cats are together in one housing, not seperate units like usual. The header appears to be a tubular type(I'll have to dig through my pics). Then it bolts directly to the muffler and it shoots out right behind the front wheel. MB mufflers are usually pretty free flowing. I seriously doubt there is much to gain in the muffler itself, to justify the cost.

Intercooler pumps that we did is running stock wiring so it turns on when it wants to.

The mufflers are considerably small but the fitment is very tight within the car. We have some pictures of it but not at the shop to be able to post them up. Cats are connected to the header and then connects to the muffler.

It was done more for sound than 'real' performance but we will see how the numbers are.

Exhaust was a custom job but we were not completely happy with how it turned out so we will be having a second exhaust made.