Thermostat and cold feet

debriga

Took the countach out on her maiden voyage (at least it was for me) over the Thanlsgiving holiday. The car blew me away with the highway milage, one two hundred mile stretch at 18 mpg, the rest of the trip averaged 15 mpg. That's better than my 77 Jeep with a 360 econo motor with 3.73 gears. No complaints with milage for a car that performs so well!

Nearing my final destination I saw a state patrol vehicle that had a car pulled over. So I slowed to well under the speed limit, downshifted, and when I was close to them stuck my foot in the throttle. Got his attention big time, saw him jotting down my plate number. Later in the week he pulled into my parents home, rang the doorbell and told me to quit screwing with him, and welcomed me back home. He was two years behind me in school and his father was the one who gave me my very first ticket (neg driving) when I was 16. Some cops are still cool!

Arrived in Colville, Washington on a beautiful clear day with the temps hovering around 20 to 35 degrees. The qv injected engine absolutely loves cold ambient temperatures. Felt like another 50 hp had been added. Enjoyed a wonderful turkey day and added some poundage to the return trip baggage. Started back home and then things went south in a hurry.

The speedometer just up and died. No biggy, no problem, just run by the tach. Then it happened, 20 miles out of town, just entering Chewelah, Wa., the thermostat stuck open on a 15 degree day. 400 miles of driving with no heat and frozen feet has convinced me that this is something that I really do need to fix. A simple job if I can just find a replacement thermostat.

Does anyone have a cross reference to another application, as Lamborghini just doesn't show up in the auto parts stores references. If there is no cross, can anyone tell me what the original stat is rated at (180-190 etc.)?? Perhaps then I can mill the original housing or make an adapter to use a thermostat that is readily available.

Thanks all, for whatever help or knowledge you are willing to share!!

Dennis

aka debriga

You know....it may not be your thermostat at all. A loose vacuum line cut out my heat.....not on my Countach.....but in my Lotus Esprit.....on a drive from North Carolina to Chicago in the middle of January. The same thing may have potentially happened to you. I doubt if it were the thermostat that you would get no heat whatsoever......especially with a Countach.

Dennis,

I am almost certain it's not the thermostat:

1. open your front hood and listen if your blower is working

2. if not check your fuses

3. check to see if the heating vent under your feet is open

4. see if the cable slipped off the heating valve (should be near the battery) - I used an "o" ring to better secure the cable to the heating valve.

Regarding the speedometer, it is most likely the pin found in the front wheel hub - a pot hole can snap it - happened to me - it's a $10 part (one of the very few) from Lamborghini and it takes about 2 hours to replace.

You'll see that once you get these little things squared away and you start driving your car regularly it will become dependable-

Good luck.

Alex

It depends on the CT Modelyear, from 1986 on the CT's had low pressure controls as well, connected to the carb line, I saw already some cars which had this line broken or loose.

Regarding the speedometer, it is most likely the pin found in the front wheel hub - a pot hole can snap it - happened to me - it's a $10 part (one of the very few) from Lamborghini and it takes about 2 hours to replace.

If it is the pin then it’s worthwhile getting a metal working shop to make you one out of really high quality steel rather than the OEM stuff which is quite poor. I did this and the cost was about £20 (about $40).

Speedo. Chad has my assembly for awhile now. He was going to reman it at his shop.

The housing blew up, cheap pot metal. Gears are great.

I would suggest NOT having a stronger pin made as it will cause the gears or the housing to explode when hitting those potholes.

The gears, I don't think they are available alone and the whole housing is in the $500-$800 area.

Buy extra pins!

Thanks for all the info, everyone, but I am still wondering if it is the thermostat itself. On the highway the temp guage drops to about 50 C while cruising. However, in town with all the gear changing and accelerating, the temp guage would rise to about 80 C and I would get some heat at that time. The blower works fine on all three speeds. In fact, I had to shut it off while cruising as it was blowing cold air across me and making me even colder.

I'll look into all the suggestions, but just in case, is there any cross reference for a thermostat?

I'll get to the speedometer after I get the heat fixed, as I can't focus on it anyway while my teeth are chattering so hard!!

Thanks everybody

Dennis

With it cold outside, the motor would never warm up if it was the thermostat (stuck open)

and if it was stuck closed then eventually the temp would just keep going up and would

overheat right? so it's not the thermostat......???

When the water drops down to 50C the thermostat is stuck open, you should also remark a long heat up period.

The Thermostat at the engine opens at 74C and is fully open at about 92C. Normal cruise temp should therefore not drop below 75C.

Otoh I know of a car with a non completely opening thermostat, that car run always at 100C, a complete closed thermostat will overheat the engine within a few minutes.

Ken QV and lcs,

Thanks for the open/close temperatures. Yes, the car never comes up to temperature unless running it hard in the lower gears. Warm-up takes forever, and never fully comes up to temperature. That's why I know it is the stat stuck open.

Back to the original question, does anyone know of a cross to another vehicle for the thermostat, or is it truly unique to Lamborghini?

Thanks again

Dennis

Dennis, pull the t/stat. I think if you take it to AutoZone, PepBoys, Advance somewhere like that you can match it with something. I made one for my Espada, out of a Chev part.

You need a 180 stat, NOTHING less.

I am assuming this is a QV car, and the stat in them is a drop in type, so I am sure you can match it, or find something close enough to work.

Next, if the speedo quit, like some said, it may be the drive pin. BUT in the VERY cold where you were, I think the right angle drive gave up. I hope not but it sure sounds like that. If by chance it did not, remove the drive anyway. Take it apart, clean it and use white grease, the type used in a fishing reel, to lube it. The grease in them is a heavy wheel bearing grease and is not suited for that application.

Chadbourn Bolles

803 532 ****

Back to the original question, does anyone know of a cross to another vehicle for the thermostat, or is it truly unique to Lamborghini?

Thanks again

Dennis

Thanks for the info Chad, it is very much appreciated. If it is OK with you, I would like to call you with a wish list. Wgat time of day is best for you?

Dennis

Dennis, pull the t/stat. I think if you take it to AutoZone, PepBoys, Advance somewhere like that you can match it with something. I made one for my Espada, out of a Chev part.

You need a 180 stat, NOTHING less.

I am assuming this is a QV car, and the stat in them is a drop in type, so I am sure you can match it, or find something close enough to work.

Next, if the speedo quit, like some said, it may be the drive pin. BUT in the VERY cold where you were, I think the right angle drive gave up. I hope not but it sure sounds like that. If by chance it did not, remove the drive anyway. Take it apart, clean it and use white grease, the type used in a fishing reel, to lube it. The grease in them is a heavy wheel bearing grease and is not suited for that application.

Chadbourn Bolles

803 532 ****

Thanks again

Dennis

Dennis, you can usually catch me 0900-1130 hrs, then 1400-2000hrs during the week. weekend kinda the same but you never know then.

My cell is 803 798 **** BUT I live way out in the country so cell service is maybe, at best sometimes.

Land line 803 532 ****. I do not as of today have a phone in the new shop. I hope next week I will have that.

The best thing you can do is email me at: [email protected]

I say that because I do not get to this forum every day, but do at JaguarXJ_S

Regards

Chadbourn Bolles

803 532 ****

803 798 **** CELL

Thanks for the info Chad, it is very much appreciated. If it is OK with you, I would like to call you with a wish list. Wgat time of day is best for you?

Dennis

• 4 weeks later...

My speedo also quit working. I went from 170 to zero in 2 seconds. It was the gearbox that blew out. My mechanic said that over time the grease that's within can dry up or deteriorate causing the gears inside to sieze up. Ensure your new one get's grease.

Max