R8 V2 TDI (video)

lambornima

Audi's own specs for the car:

0-60: 4.2

Top Speed: 187mph

:jackoff:

0-60 and top speed- the best ways to judge a car ;) using 0-60 and top speed figures would have us thinking a Murcielago can run with an SLR.

575 ft-lbs says otherwise.

moreover, audi's claims have been very conservative. they claim 0-60 in 4.6 with the R8, but if im not mistaken, the car has done it in the low 4s a few times.

this car is heavier than the regular R8, as the this V12 is about 200 lbs heavier than the 4.2 V8.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1

in a couple of years, no one will remember this car...

when it bitchslaps the 911 GT2 they will.

I cant wait for some comparisons with other cars.

the SLR's 150 ft-lbs torque advantage over the CGT made up for its 600 lbs weight disadvantage. im not gonna speculate too much, but I think a car with 740 ft-lbs of torque, weighing 3700 lbs, will DOMINATE.

when it bitchslaps the 911 GT2 they will.

You are absolutely dreaming. Is Audi being conservative on the low 187mph top speed as well?

Where is the trailer hitch?

:icon_mrgreen:

Is it AWD? I would assume it would have MAJOR traction issues being that light with that much torque. Exhaust and ECU upgrade will bring HP over 600 and torque in the 800-900 ft. lbs. range. Not that I am a fan of diesel cars, nor if I was in the market in this range would I purchase this, but with these small mods it will be very fast at 3700 lbs.

Yes!

I am assuming that spinning those 4 wheels off the car should not be difficult with that much torque. Speaking of which, I have seen some fast dually's here in the US. But they have 1500-2000 ft. lbs. of torque and weigh 8k-10k pounds.

It a great piece of engineering, no doubt about it. But would the majority of people here like it? I highly doubt it.

Diesel had come a long way and it shouldn't be discounted by all accounts especially when it's from Audi. But it would be a while before the world can change the stereotype of diesel being related to a high performance car.

This car is ugly, no doubt about it. In fact, IMO, the R8 in general is ugly and I've seen a number of them in different colours & lighting and had also driven one. Coming from Audi, I think they could have done a better job on the styling. It's fresh & unique but it definitely is not pretty! The harsh reality is that Audi, being a "good car" brand, as oppose to a "super car" brand; even if they did make a super car, it wouldn't have been taken seriously; and Audi is well aware of that henceforth performance will always be capped because it makes no marketing sense. And it does not help when the styling is so controversial.

And no, I don't like it.

It a great piece of engineering, no doubt about it. But would the majority of people here like it? I highly doubt it.

Diesel had come a long way and it shouldn't be discounted by all accounts especially when it's from Audi. But it would be a while before the world can change the stereotype of diesel being related to a high performance car.

This car is ugly, no doubt about it. In fact, IMO, the R8 in general is ugly and I've seen a number of them in different colours & lighting and had also driven one. Coming from Audi, I think they could have done a better job on the styling. It's fresh & unique but it definitely is not pretty! The harsh reality is that Audi, being a "good car" brand, as oppose to a "super car" brand; even if they did make a super car, it wouldn't have been taken seriously; and Audi is well aware of that henceforth performance will always be capped because it makes no marketing sense. And it does not help when the styling is so controversial.

And no, I don't like it.

Good post. I think Audi will be surprised by the negative response to the car by their North American dealer network. The R8 in general is like the NSX all over again, strong first-year sales that fall by -70% by year three. And Audi is not a Porsche, Ferrari, or Lamborghini in terms of perception as you mentioned.

I'll predict now that this car either never sees production, or if it does, it's a low-volume money-loser that is strictly sold in the EU.

You are absolutely dreaming. Is Audi being conservative on the low 187mph top speed as well?

in a straight line, the extra 150 ft-lbs of the SLR made up for its 600 lbs weight disadvantage. would you really be surprised if the GT2 lost in a straight line? sure it weighs 400 lbs less, but it also is shy 230 ft-lbs.

Im a member of several different forums and this is the ONLY forum where the majority of members do not like the R8. thats where I got the idea that the reason behind this wasnt the TT styling, but the fact that the lambo group felt "threatened" (lack of a better term) by the R8.

it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Im a member of several different forums and this is the ONLY forum where the majority of members do not like the R8.

A lot of old farts on this forum. Some of them are still whining over servos you know :icon_mrgreen:

Allthough the design has some flaws, I generally like it, and I think it's very good Audi tries out a diesel in a sportscar. I mean, why not? The Golf 2.0 TDI is as fast as the Golf GTI. The problem I think, is the arguments to accept it. It's not faster, sounds different (probably bad in many peoples ears) and saying you have a diesel in your sportscar is like saying you have STD. So why put a diesel in a sportscar? Fuel economy, gas price, environment (well CO2 at least, not particulates) etc? Probably easier to cool down too. But if you are buying a sportscar, these are the last things on your mind. Sooo, maybe we should change mindset? :icon_mrgreen:

I LOVE it! And I love diesels!

My 10,000lb. Dually is faster in the 1/4 mile than just about any production car made (high 11s with a 6-speed but would be in the high 9s or lows 10s with an auto). You gotta love the TQ, efficiency and just plain cool factor of pulling up to the diesel pump after ripping down the highway at 200MPH!

And the fact that it is diesel is wonderful for modding as was pointed out, because it is so easy to improve their performance. I have a software downloader for my truck that has 10 power levels, the top one of which adds just under 300 RWHP and 700 ft./lbs. of TQ. Heat will be the only limiting factor in pushing the TDI's performance. If you can manage it (say with water injection), you could easily double that cars power!

I think it's great that someone is finally trying to bring diesel along to the U.S. Aside form pickups and semi's, we are so far behind the rest of the world!

Im a member of several different forums and this is the ONLY forum where the majority of members do not like the R8. thats where I got the idea that the reason behind this wasnt the TT styling, but the fact that the lambo group felt "threatened" (lack of a better term) by the R8.

Has absolutely nothing to do with it. Out of all those forums you visit, this is the ONLY forum where there are people who can actually afford the car in question. Remember that Nima, as you seem to be chirping lately in a derrogotory tone here any time someone disagrees with you. :eusa_naughty:

The R8 TDI is dead on arrival due to many reasons, principally that North Americans don't feel that Audi is a prestige enough marque to spend $200k+ on, as well as the lack of Diesel-offering refueling stations over here.

Those two reasons are why Audi has offered no committments nor a timetable to the R8 TDI's production at the show.

My own personal opinion is that the technology is impressive, but the R8's design is extremely bland and uninspired. To each his own.

D.Wiggs - WELL SAID!

Mako - "lack of Diesel-offering refueling stations over here" HUH??? My DD is a diesel Merc (we also have a couple of VW TDIs) and I have NEVER had any problem finding a station with diesel. Stations that carry it are EVERYWHERE. If one doesn't the one across the street does, that is so not a problem.

The more I drive modern European diesels the more I love them. I like the R8, the design is fine by me, but the fact that this IS a diesel is why I have to have one. I love the technology, the torque, the sound, the fuel economy, and perhaps what I like most is it's something different than the norm, something new, something never done before in a sports car.

Mako - "lack of Diesel-offering refueling stations over here" HUH??? My DD is a diesel Merc (we also have a couple of VW TDIs) and I have NEVER had any problem finding a station with diesel. Stations that carry it are EVERYWHERE. If one doesn't the one across the street does, that is so not a problem.

Sorry, but I did a small local survey today just to double check, and out of five gas stations along my normal driving route only two offered diesel fuel. To some, that's more than enough. To me, in a supercar that will likely get less than 15mpg the way I drive, it's too few. :icon_mrgreen:

I appreciate the enthusiasm for this concept, I really do. But you'll just have to trust me when I tell you it will never see the light of day in the U.S. due to the business/econ reasons I've previously mentioned.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree but I think it WILL see the light of day. Gas or diesel the R8 is never going to be a high volume car anyway, but I think with the success of the R10 in endurance racing there IS more interest in such a car among enthusiasts.

The mentality of the average American regarding diesel must be changed, and it is, albeit very slowly. The problem is just getting people to TRY it, once they do and realize the old stereotypes regarding diesel no longer exist, they love them. They're simply not the same as they were 20 years ago, they're vastly improved engines that get great fuel mileage. With increasing CAFE standards you will see a lot more diesels in America, and with increasing fuel prices there will be a lot more interest in them.

I still fail to see what the problem is with the number of stations carrying diesel is though. You said 2 of the 5 you passed today carried it... So what's the problem here? Were those 2 closed? :P

As I said before if one doesn't carry diesel there's another usually across the street or down the block that does. I drive a diesel every day and have never had a problem. As more diesels are sold in the US though, creating more demand for fuel, more stations will be forced to carry it.

I LOVE it! And I love diesels!

My 10,000lb. Dually is faster in the 1/4 mile than just about any production car made (high 11s with a 6-speed but would be in the high 9s or lows 10s with an auto). You gotta love the TQ, efficiency and just plain cool factor of pulling up to the diesel pump after ripping down the highway at 200MPH!

And the fact that it is diesel is wonderful for modding as was pointed out, because it is so easy to improve their performance. I have a software downloader for my truck that has 10 power levels, the top one of which adds just under 300 RWHP and 700 ft./lbs. of TQ. Heat will be the only limiting factor in pushing the TDI's performance. If you can manage it (say with water injection), you could easily double that cars power!

I think it's great that someone is finally trying to bring diesel along to the U.S. Aside form pickups and semi's, we are so far behind the rest of the world!

Sounds like the perfect car for you Wiggs.....but keep it awd so as to not take away from its outstanding sled pulling capability! :icon_mrgreen:

The R8 will be launched by the end of the year with a V8 TDI (326hp/680nm). If we'll ever se the V12 in a production vehicle, I guess depends of the success of the V8.

Sounds like the perfect car for you Wiggs.....but keep it awd so as to not take away from its outstanding sled pulling capability! :icon_mrgreen:

Can't you just see me at the local tractor pull!!! LOL!!!!!

Better yet; tow the Lambo with the R8!! :icon_super:

The R8 will be launched by the end of the year with a V8 TDI (326hp/680nm). If we'll ever se the V12 in a production vehicle, I guess depends of the success of the V8.

hard to believe. the only other engine varient I have heard of is a V10.

Does Audi A8 4.2 TDI ring a bell?

what I ment was that the only engine varient rumor I have heard for the R8 is the V10 (nd the V12 being the other).

it wouldnt make sense to make a "lesser" R8, because it would make an R8 V12 much less desireable. if they wanted a sportscar with mid 300hp, they should make a TTRS or something.

this diesel has been pwning the shit out of lemans for two years now. im sure Audi know what they are doing.

Im not sure if you watched any ALMS this year but.... Porsche's lower LMP2 car dominated your "shit pwning" audi 9-3. (9-4 if you include lemans which the porsche didnt race in)

On another note I LOVE the idea of this car. I want one bad. Ever since I was a kid I have loved Diesels because of our bullet proof tractor and the shear brute power it had.(still LIVES!) I just love diesels.

Has absolutely nothing to do with it. Out of all those forums you visit, this is the ONLY forum where there are people who can actually afford the car in question. Remember that Nima, as you seem to be chirping lately in a derrogotory tone here any time someone disagrees with you. :eusa_naughty:

The R8 TDI is dead on arrival due to many reasons, principally that North Americans don't feel that Audi is a prestige enough marque to spend $200k+ on, as well as the lack of Diesel-offering refueling stations over here.

Those two reasons are why Audi has offered no committments nor a timetable to the R8 TDI's production at the show.

My own personal opinion is that the technology is impressive, but the R8's design is extremely bland and uninspired. To each his own.

WOAH 200k?

around 100k sounds good, any more than that and its starting to push it imo