F430 Scud tests are In...

Allan-Herbie

The US spec Scuderia is getting most of the Euro goodies including the carbon fiber sport seats without side-airbags. It continues to puzzle me how Ferrari is able to sell cars in the US that doesn't have side-airbags. Both the 430, 599, and Scuderia can be ordered with sport seats. All the while the lambo guys are being forced to put in those super heavy regular seats. How unfair.

They apply for exemptions, thats how. The car is in limited very small quantities.

So is the Superleggera, and they didnt get any exemptions.

The Ring seems more tame than ever, makes me wonder if they've changed/re-paved sections of it for maintenance recently.

List of "suspect" times, all from the last few months:

7:24 - Lexus LFA Mule

7:29 - Nissan GT-R

7:33 - Porsche 997GT2

7:37 - Honda NSX II Mule

7:39 - Ferrari F430S

Track is definitely fast in 2008, it's not just the usual tech progress this time.

The Ring seems more tame than ever, makes me wonder if they've changed/re-paved sections of it for maintenance recently.

List of "suspect" times, all from the last few months:

7:24 - Lexus LFA Mule

7:29 - Nissan GT-R

7:33 - Porsche 997GT2

7:37 - Honda NSX II Mule

7:39 - Ferrari F430S

Track is definitely fast in 2008, it's not just the usual tech progress this time.

lambo is also claiming the LP560 can do the Nring 12 seconds a lap quicker than the superleggera. that would mean 7:34.

one of the guys on rennteam has said that sections of the track have been resurfaced and cars are posting considerably faster times ( an R8 did a 7:53).

that said, I dont see why the 7:39 by a <3100 lbs Scuderia is suspect at all.

lambo is also claiming the LP560 can do the Nring 12 seconds a lap quicker than the superleggera. that would mean 7:34. one of the guys on rennteam has said that sections of the track have been resurfaced and cars are posting considerably faster times ( an R8 did a 7:53).

Ah, that makes sense. Resurfacing can play havoc with times, both good and bad, but in this case it seems there have been benefits. The 7:34 time for the LP560 seems right on considering the other group.

The 7:39 time is suspect because it's extremely fast for a RWD car with that power to weight ratio, regardless of who makes it. Same for the GT2 time.

Much much much harder to achieve a good time without the assist from AWD in just a few quick laps as SportAuto does for their reviews (good example is the CGT, it took months of lapping to get the time to drop in 5-second blocks, and its "final" time is over 15 seconds faster than the very first SportAuto time for the car).

Plus, you don't know the weight of the F430S, until the car goes on a true scale it's a Ferrari-provided figure only.

Bottom line: The track is much faster than in previous years, even the RWD 4,400lb. CTS-V mule broke 8 minutes on it recently, if that doesn't demonstrate the boosted times nothing ever will. :lol2:

Ah, that makes sense. Resurfacing can play havoc with times, both good and bad, but in this case it seems there have been benefits. The 7:34 time for the LP560 seems right on considering the other group.

The 7:39 time is suspect because it's extremely fast for a RWD car with that power to weight ratio, regardless of who makes it. Same for the GT2 time.

Much much much harder to achieve a good time without the assist from AWD in just a few quick laps as SportAuto does for their reviews (good example is the CGT, it took months of lapping to get the time to drop in 5-second blocks, and its "final" time is over 15 seconds faster than the very first SportAuto time for the car).

Plus, you don't know the weight of the F430S, until the car goes on a true scale it's a Ferrari-provided figure only.

Bottom line: The track is much faster than in previous years, even the RWD 4,400lb. CTS-V mule broke 8 minutes on it recently, if that doesn't demonstrate the boosted times nothing ever will. :lol2:

Im pretty sure SportAuto weighs the cars. the weight figure is in one of the scans. 1402 kg = 3080 lbs. Ferrari's claims are dry weights which for the F430S was 27xx lbs. but that figure is not very applicable since you wont be driving a car around without a battery, gas, engine oil, transmission oil, coolant, etc ;)

the Quattroruote test says 1486 kg, but thats probably with the driver.

Im pretty sure SportAuto weighs the cars. the weight figure is in one of the scans. 1402 kg = 3080 lbs. Ferrari's claims are dry weights which for the F430S was 27xx lbs. but that figure is not very applicable since you wont be driving a car around without a battery, gas, engine oil, transmission oil, coolant, etc ;)

the Quattroruote test says 1486 kg, but thats probably with the driver.

Exactly, you don't know.

Don't assume anything, worst mistake you can make both in daily life, and in magazine bench-racing. :icon_thumleft:

we shall find out soon. plus, considering they put the car in a windtunnel and test out the drag and downforce at 200 km/h, putting the car on a scale isnt that big of a deal.

I think the Scuderia is beautiful. I have a theory that people that are more modern that like sharp edges very modern houses and such buy lamborghini's...moden people buy lamborghini's. If your more conservative on design you buy a Ferrari. I'm a bit of both so I really like the design of the Scuderia. I think it looks much better than the standard F430. This car deserves credit!

It got 7:39s at the 'ring? Its over ten seconds slower than the GTR? There has to be something wrong.

In the end... its quick... but UGLY

360CS remains the nicest looking of the last decade or so of F-cars.

F430 is a strange mish-mash of conflicting design philosophies, it looks as if a group of people designed it rather than it being one man's artistic vision.

I think the Scuderia is beautiful. I have a theory that people that are more modern that like sharp edges very modern houses and such buy lamborghini's...moden people buy lamborghini's. If your more conservative on design you buy a Ferrari. I'm a bit of both so I really like the design of the Scuderia. I think it looks much better than the standard F430. This car deserves credit!

Totally agree !!!

It got 7:39s at the 'ring? Its over ten seconds slower than the GTR? There has to be something wrong.

ya something is wrong with the GTR's time. when SportAuto gets it, they will probably do a 7:45 or something. in a recent Car and Driver test is was only a fraction of a second quicker than the Plastic mess-06.

ok ok ok. the guy on rennteam that has connections into SportAuto, who confirmed the 7:39 of the F430S about a month ago and who also confirmed that some parts of the Nring have been resurfaced told me that SportAuto weighs the cars themselves with a FULL tank.

in which case the F430S is ~3080, the regular F430 is ~3300 lbs and the Gallardo SL is ~3350, a regular Gallardo with egear is ~3550, the 997GT2 is ~3300, the Lp640 is ~3980, both the SLR and 599 are ~3850, the CGT is ~3250.

ya something is wrong with the GTR's time. when SportAuto gets it, they will probably do a 7:45 or something. in a recent Car and Driver test is was only a fraction of a second quicker than the Plastic mess-06.

Those were acceleration times. We will find out in the next month how fast the GTR really is. They're already in North America.

On the Top Gear test of the Scuderia this past weekend, it pulled a lap time just slightly behind the Enzo, but ahead of the CGT and LP640.

On the Top Gear test of the Scuderia this past weekend, it pulled a lap time just slightly behind the Enzo, but ahead of the CGT and LP640.

ya but the LP640 lap time was the same as the CGTs... :eusa_think: