Thought on Vipers?

TheFilipinoStig

That's the biggest misconception ever... a viper will only get beat by a porsche on a roadcourse if the viper driver is a dunce. With a good driver the viper will absolutely decimate a 996 through the twisties.

Sorry, I should have made it clear. I wasn't talking about ANY 996, I was talking about a 996 TT. A stock 996 TT WILL outhandle a stock Viper GTS.

Sorry, I should have made it clear. I wasn't talking about ANY 996, I was talking about a 996 TT. A stock 996 TT WILL outhandle a stock Viper GTS.

Sorry but no. In the hands of an inexperienced driver maybe, but someone who knows how to handle a viper will easily walk away from one. These cars are not the horrible handlers people make them out to be, just takes some getting used to and huge balls.

If you look at the times PMUM turned in his 01' ACR, no 996 or 997tt is even close.

Guest Richie-SRT10
Sorry but no. In the hands of an inexperienced driver maybe, but someone who knows how to handle a viper will easily walk away from one. These cars are not the horrible handlers people make them out to be, just takes some getting used to and huge balls.

If you look at the times PMUM turned in his 01' ACR, no 996 or 997tt is even close.

Agreed. I track my Viper and see few if any problems on these cars even with the additon of a supercharger. As far as handling goes, the Vipers handle great. The problem most have is that the car is not a forgiving automobile and you can get yourself into trouble real fast. Especially if the car has the stock run craps on it. Pirellis make a world of a difference.

Rest in Peace PMUM

We can agree to disagree. I have driven a Gen II Viper on MANY occasions (non ACR), and I have driven a 996 TT. I am willing to bet I can get a better lap time in a 996 TT than i can in a Gen II Viper. Driver, right? I am a pretty good driver, but I will admit I am not an expert on the road course. I guess we will never be able to find out though, so talk is all I will be able to do for now.

at the end of the day, one thing we can agree on is that a GTS trounces a 996 911 in the looks department..:)

We can agree to disagree. I have driven a Gen II Viper on MANY occasions (non ACR), and I have driven a 996 TT. I am willing to bet I can get a better lap time in a 996 TT than i can in a Gen II Viper. Driver, right? I am a pretty good driver, but I will admit I am not an expert on the road course. I guess we will never be able to find out though, so talk is all I will be able to do for now.

at the end of the day, one thing we can agree on is that a GTS trounces a 996 911 in the looks department..:)

If you're willing to admit you submit to the lesser car due to your vast lack of ability, I can live with that. But it's not the car's fault you can't handle it. Me personally, I drove a modified 996TT and though it was the single most soul less, uninspiring, boring car i've ever driven. Maybe I'm a better driver than most (and that is fairly proven), but to think that a 996tt can out-anything a GTS is just silly.

How about this, put our dicks aside. I'll bring my 01' GTS (which has the lame cam and abs) on a set of stock wheels and PS2's, and you bring a stock power 996. See if you can keep up, i'm on stock brakes and stock non-adjustable shocks/springs as well.

Put your $$ and lap times where your mouth is. BTW, in 01' the only difference the ACR had was a set of bbs wheels and harnesses. No wing, no splitter, etc.

All I can say is just be very very happy you haven't come across a decent driver in a viper on the road, it would not end well for most. If it's a decent TT, it's game over for any lambo you can dream up.

If you're willing to admit you submit to the lesser car due to your vast lack of ability, I can live with that. But it's not the car's fault you can't handle it. Me personally, I drove a modified 996TT and though it was the single most soul less, uninspiring, boring car i've ever driven. Maybe I'm a better driver than most (and that is fairly proven), but to think that a 996tt can out-anything a GTS is just silly.

How about this, put our dicks aside. I'll bring my 01' GTS (which has the lame cam and abs) on a set of stock wheels and PS2's, and you bring a stock power 996. See if you can keep up, i'm on stock brakes and stock non-adjustable shocks/springs as well.

Put your $$ and lap times where your mouth is. BTW, in 01' the only difference the ACR had was a set of bbs wheels and harnesses. No wing, no splitter, etc.

All I can say is just be very very happy you haven't come across a decent driver in a viper on the road, it would not end well for most. If it's a decent TT, it's game over for any lambo you can dream up.

Whoa, talk about taking an argumenet way out of context. Relax old man, I can't care any less about your Viper. I was simply telling you how I felt after driving both a 996 TT and a Viper. Don't get your vagina in a bunch.

As far as the lambo vs. Viper statement, let me remind you that when a TT Viper tried to outrun a Heffner TT Gallardo, it miserably failed and it (the Viper) got left behind. Vids are online.

Whoa, talk about taking an argumenet way out of context. Relax old man, I can't care any less about your Viper. I was simply telling you how I felt after driving both a 996 TT and a Viper. Don't get your vagina in a bunch.

As far as the lambo vs. Viper statement, let me remind you that when a TT Viper tried to outrun a Heffner TT Gallardo, it miserably failed and it (the Viper) got left behind. Vids are online.

Old? lmao. Simple fact, if you think the 996 is faster it's because you aren't a good enough driver to handle a viper.

I have to say, lame online vids don't quite tell the tale. I have yet to see a G run a 7, or even an 8... Vipers do that on a regular basis and dip well into the 9's on 20" radials. Only one G has even been in the 9's, barely. The mph, or lack there of in the 1/4 tells the tale of how a highway or mile race would go.

It's ok, not everyone is up to the task of driving a car like that.

Just to add fuel to the fire, but anyone have lap times of the 'Ring from a stock 996TT vs. a Viper.

I personally agree, they are two totally different cars - I can't compare them, even with lap times. I'm going to wait for the Gallardo, unless an awesome deal comes along for a GTS or 996TT.

Just to add fuel to the fire, but anyone have lap times of the 'Ring from a stock 996TT vs. a Viper.

I personally agree, they are two totally different cars - I can't compare them, even with lap times. I'm going to wait for the Gallardo, unless an awesome deal comes along for a GTS or 996TT.

Thats a tricky subject as only one has a factory backed effort. We are talking Gen II Viper vs 996 tt here. Dodge never ran at the Ring before this current Gen 4 ACR. As such I believe Saurma only got a 8:10 sec run on a GTS vs the 996tt sub 8 sec runs. As a very important note the European Vipers were down on power by about 30hp due to emissions and other things added to it to make it legal...European Vipers were slower than stateside Vipers if my memory serves.....If you want to judge how the 996tt faired against the GTS Viper jsut look at stateside matchups... I believe the Viper has won most head to head mag matchups between the two...

BTW check out this video of a GTS ACR with exhaust vs an X50 TT...Both are evenly matched but damn the Viper looks and sounds fantastic...Id pick Viper between these too...One just screams exotic and special.

Guest Dereiter

I have 2 vipers:

1) Viper SRT-10 Red with Paxton.

post-17965-1227526005_thumb.jpg

2) ACR 08 Red TT by Racing Solutions coming soon.

post-17965-1227526104_thumb.jpg

IMHO, Viper is a very very nice car.

Viper Power!!!

I want something that is an awesome driving car with great performance and isn't dime a dozen. I'm not buying a car for looks or attention.

Lotus Esprit - I was looking at those. Need to do more research.

My goal is to have a Lamborghini in the next five years or so - the question is do I get something in between to keep my sanity.

I dont know much about the Espirt, but you should consider the Exige, itll make a good driver outta you :)

theres a guy in town that has a 600+hp Eprit, Exige, and Exige 260 and tracks them all :)

first i love all cars owned many and never consider my self biased but i will leave this for the readers anyway.

get the Viper 96 GTS if you looking for rare one of a kind car that will give you exotic look, not many around and honestly still one of the best designs out there.

get the 996TT if you prefer easy comfy driving, less publicity, and less cabin heat.

talking about lap times the viper handles so well and im surprised some think it cant ! yes its not a forgiving car at all the only traction you have is your right foot.

who will win in a track day ! hmm i think the viper with equal drivers but amateur i think the 96TT but i never bought a car based on track times anyway.

and i think its better to update the Gen2 Vipers with new brake setups just to make it better and hassle free.

both are lovely cars to own i suggest you visit a showroom check the cars out look up close, you will know what you want up-close.

Good Luck.

Exige might be fun. I just want something unique and fun, not necessarily flashy or "exotic." Thanks for the advice/info, guys - I'll run with a couple different options.