Roadster Wheel Polishing

IlToro

I have tried to polish my roadster wheels using the various products on the market, also buffing tools from Griots, but cannot get the haze out, as a matter of fact no change at all. I have seen same wheels polished to a mirror finish, what's the trick?

I think they might have a painted clear coat on them.

If not, you might not be using the right material polishing wheel or compounds for aluminum. Those "buff balls" won't do the trick. I bought a complete professional kit that will do everything from stainless to brass from Eastwood.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product...iProductID=1100

When you polish wheels, you should use a metal based wheel polish specifically designed for that type of wheel. The liquid will generally be white and pasty with watery separation. The trick to polishing a wheel is to go slooooooooooooow. Light pressure, not hard pressure. If they are already hazed and a plethora of products havent already worked, you're pretty much screwed.

Of course, this is a guess since I cant see the wheels (*cough* photo *cough*)

Well polished wheels and chrome wheels each have their merits. But first off - you have a clearcoat on your factory-polished wheels, and no amount of hand-polishing is going to make much of a difference since you can't get past that clearoat. If you really want them to SHINE - you have to have them professionally re-polished. This will involved stripping the clearcoat off and truly polishing the aluminum that is the wheel.

Merits of polished wheels: Won't ever flake, lift, peel, crack or leak like chrome will. Some feel that because it is truly the 'real' metal that is shiny (the aluminum), that there is an inherit beauty in the genuineness of what the shine is coming from.

Cons of polished wheels: Constant maintenance. After having them professionally polished, expect to have to hand polish them with common metal polish hand cleaners 1x/year to 1x/month depending on where you live and how often you drive. Also, even at best - shine isn't as mirror-like as chrome.

Merits of chrome wheels: The BLING factor. That's pretty much it. Toss-up whether chromed OEM wheels add value to a vehicle on resale or reduce value. Depends on buyer but lately buyers prefer stock to chrome OEM.

Cons of chrome wheels: Sooner or later - they'll ALL flake, crack, peel and leak air. There are no chrome 'wheels' - wheels are not made of chromium. They are chromed aluminum wheels and actually it takes 4 metals being bonded to ultimately get chrome onto an aluminum wheel (chrome does not bond to aluminum). So sooner or later, one (or more) of those layers start to fail - it's only a matter of time. Usually it begins inside where trapped moisture inside the mounted tire corrodes the bead, and eventually you'll get an air leak out through one of the metal layers between the aluminum of the wheel and the chrome. Leaking air is the number one complaint about chrome wheels.

I sell a fair amount of chrome OEM wheels, though the trend is declining.

As for me - I prefer silver (stock finish) when utilizing OEM wheels. I like some chrome aftermarket wheels.

Hope this info helps.

Well polished wheels and chrome wheels each have their merits. But first off - you have a clearcoat on your factory-polished wheels, and no amount of hand-polishing is going to make much of a difference since you can't get past that clearoat. If you really want them to SHINE - you have to have them professionally re-polished. This will involved stripping the clearcoat off and truly polishing the aluminum that is the wheel.

Merits of polished wheels: Won't ever flake, lift, peel, crack or leak like chrome will. Some feel that because it is truly the 'real' metal that is shiny (the aluminum), that there is an inherit beauty in the genuineness of what the shine is coming from.

Cons of polished wheels: Constant maintenance. After having them professionally polished, expect to have to hand polish them with common metal polish hand cleaners 1x/year to 1x/month depending on where you live and how often you drive. Also, even at best - shine isn't as mirror-like as chrome.

Merits of chrome wheels: The BLING factor. That's pretty much it. Toss-up whether chromed OEM wheels add value to a vehicle on resale or reduce value. Depends on buyer but lately buyers prefer stock to chrome OEM.

Cons of chrome wheels: Sooner or later - they'll ALL flake, crack, peel and leak air. There are no chrome 'wheels' - wheels are not made of chromium. They are chromed aluminum wheels and actually it takes 4 metals being bonded to ultimately get chrome onto an aluminum wheel (chrome does not bond to aluminum). So sooner or later, one (or more) of those layers start to fail - it's only a matter of time. Usually it begins inside where trapped moisture inside the mounted tire corrodes the bead, and eventually you'll get an air leak out through one of the metal layers between the aluminum of the wheel and the chrome. Leaking air is the number one complaint about chrome wheels.

I sell a fair amount of chrome OEM wheels, though the trend is declining.

As for me - I prefer silver (stock finish) when utilizing OEM wheels. I like some chrome aftermarket wheels.

Hope this info helps.

really good info.

Are you trying to polish the entire wheel or just the outer rim? If you strip just the outer rim you can then clean the wheel of imperfections using a 2000 grit wet or dry paper.(use wet). then come back and polish the wheel with a product sold by the tool manufacture snapon. The stuff comes in a tin the size of a bandaid box. It looks like cotton candy. It only takes a littlepiece,and you keep polishing until you get the desired finish you want. Almost looks like a chromed wheel. You must then use wheel wax to protect the wheel from corrosive brake dust. Two coats of wax should do it. I think I have photo's if your interested I'll look.

The cotton candy stuff is probably their private label of a product called NEVR-DULL. Very, very good results, very easy to use, no serious elbow work - just keep rubbing lightly until it turns black, then buff it off. You can get it at almost any car parts store, hardware store, Lowe's/Home Depot and many fine silver shops.

Yes, that's NEVR-DULL. Which is truly terrific at polishing metal. And truly useless and polishing clearcoat.

woah, those boobies are popping off the screen. :icon_thumleft:

woah, those boobies are popping off the screen. :icon_thumleft:

....they sure make me "salute" :D

Shamile