Silhouette for sale in Japan, after being in storage for 20 years

sega355

I can fix it, I got tools and duct tape.

After storage where? At the bottom of the sea of Japan??

Actually it probably would look better had it been submerged - much less oxygen to start the oxidation (rust) process. I was amazed when I was in Japan, there is so much humidity, every steel structure I saw had paint bubbling from corrosion. You don't see a lot of old cars over there.

"I was amazed when I was in Japan, there is so much humidity, every steel structure I saw had paint bubbling from corrosion. You don't see a lot of old cars over there."

Exactly and they are inspected every year in order to get insurance, and if there is to much rust, off to the scrap yard they go...

for MANY reasons i would LOVE a 78 sil

.....but this is too bad and in Japan so far away...

i will have to find an other :(

I would not mind buying the car, if I could have it restored in a third world country. Of course, that is just wishful thinking. I know of two countries that could perform this type of work - aside from the mechanical rebuild. The biggest issue with a third world country, is importing and exporting the car to and from the country (custom's duty), 3K in shipping fees, and finding skilled labor that can perform quality work. It is not easy, to find skilled labor that could work on aluminum panels.

It is most difficult to have a car restored at a facility, without physically inspecting the work every month or two. Another issue, is the hi cost of importing materials. I would assume, the biggest expense will be rust removal ?

It is economically a non-starter, for anything but a third world restoration. You can buy a very nice Silhouette, for less than the cost of a nice Countach. The reason the car sits, is whoever buys it will be economically upside down with this car, if the buyer attempts to restore the car to factory condition.

parts car...sad but true

some bits on it are rare and interesting ...i would say there are easily 10k$ worth of parts alone there

parts car...sad but true

some bits on it are rare and interesting ...i would say there are easily 10k$ worth of parts alone there

That is a way of thinking that is NOT legal!!! The car is to rare to be parted out. If I could, I would have bought it, and just put it away until time and money was there to save it. No matter if you could get a complete car for less. It should be saved :crybaby2:

parts car...sad but true

I think that might be a bit optomistic Emilio, certainly no panels.... the wheels are available elsewhere interior looks trashed, I could use a hard top....I would buy it, I have seen it advertised around in Japan for years, only trouble is they probably want you to take it away immediately, if anyone wants to help me get the money together by buying the Countach Espada Urraco bits I have on ebay it would be greatly appreciated.......

Does anyone know the asking price ?

...at least I could keep up with the Jones' and be a multi-Lambo owner :icon_mrgreen: :thefinger:

It is not easy, to find skilled labor that could work on aluminum panels.

what makes you a silhouette has any aluminum panels?

never the less, is so sad to see such a rare car in that state.

i think there use to be a red silhuett one park right next to that white one. i wonder if that one is in any better condition....

in mourning

rs

what makes you a silhouette has any aluminum panels?

never the less, is so sad to see such a rare car in that state.

i think there use to be a red silhuett one park right next to that white one. i wonder if that one is in any better condition....

in mourning

rs

I did not know the Silhouette had all steel panels.

I should have known better, looking at all the rust on the side of the car.