Scratches on navigation screen.

neil donkin

Can anyone recommend any product to safely buff out light scratches? They are not very deep, but really notice when the sun shines on the screen.

Any product you try will further harm the scratches. There is nothing you can do other than stop cleaning the screen with a dirty cloth or whatever scratched it make sure that doesnt happen again. :) Microfiber cloth and a window cleaner sprayed on the cloth first not the screen is how you clean it. Also be gentle on the buttons near the screen, they are coated in a very thin paint over a plastic part and they like to fall apart especially with fingertips hitting window up and down buttons all the time.

Ben

Ben is right. The surface of the LCD is the actual LCD glass. Once it's scratched, you're screwed. There is no protective film on it that can be replaced. The only way to get rid of the scratches on the LCD is to replace it - which is actually easy to do. You might try to locate a "donor" RNS-E on e-bay, but there's always the risk that it has a worse screen than yours.

There have been some posts on AudiForum regarding this topic. See http://audiforum.us/rns-e/10100-rns-e-new-...-installed.html

Did a little searching and found this company. www.nushield.com. Ordered their DayVue film. Found they had it pre cut for the Audi unit. Hopefully this will reduce the glare and also hide the scratches. The film should arrive tomorrow and i'll report back once I have installed it.

Did a little searching and found this company. www.nushield.com. Ordered their DayVue film. Found they had it pre cut for the Audi unit. Hopefully this will reduce the glare and also hide the scratches. The film should arrive tomorrow and i'll report back once I have installed it.

let me know how it works my nav screen is also a little stratch.

let me know the outcome?

Me too - Mine is scratched (somehow) - I didn't notice it until it was bright out.

I only clean it with Microfiber as well - so must have been some big ass dust on it when I cleaned it...

i think on the spyder its worse because of the open top glare

I only noticed the scratches on mine once the sun hit it. I was going to try Plexus, but hopefully the film will work better.

• 2 weeks later...
I only noticed the scratches on mine once the sun hit it. I was going to try Plexus, but hopefully the film will work better.

Any feedback on this yet? If it works I think it is a must for the Spyders

Any feedback on this yet? If it works I think it is a must for the Spyders

I ordered the one that they listed for the Audi head unit as there was not one for the G. Whet it came it was a little too small, so I sent it back and gave them the correct dimensions for the Lambo unit. UPS lost the replacement they sent,but I have recieved another one today. Will install it tonight and let you know the results tomorrow morning when I take it out in the sun.

Me too - Mine is scratched (somehow) - I didn't notice it until it was bright out.

I only clean it with Microfiber as well - so must have been some big ass dust on it when I cleaned it...

The biggest mistake of Microfiber cloths is that they have a tag and then the outer stitching isnt microfiber. The outer stitching and the tag are what *will* scratch your nav screen. Shitty detailers never know this, but anyone trained will have used scissors to cut the outer thread from the cloth and subsequently remove the tag as well. The tags and the threads generally wont scratch clear coat, but it will leave very light marring over time that can be easily removed with a hand polish or machine polish for heavier scratching. I strongly recommend windex as well for the screen, as its designed to clean windows and computer monitors. Dont buy the no-drip Windex, it'll generally leave some resipoo on the nav screen as well that builds up over time.

Ben

Installed the protective film this morning and found that it actually makes it harder to read the screen in bright sunlight. I expected the film to be a matt finish, but once the protective cover film was removed it turned out to be very reflective. Removed it and am looking again for another option.

• 5 weeks later...
Installed the protective film this morning and found that it actually makes it harder to read the screen in bright sunlight. I expected the film to be a matt finish, but once the protective cover film was removed it turned out to be very reflective. Removed it and am looking again for another option.

I ended up ordering one before you posted your comments, so I ended up trying it out as well.

I found the protection to be okay not 100% but at first it did seem worse than without but after using it I actually like it. I have a Spyder and with top down it is still hard to see but I find it improved slightly. The biggest plus that the film seems to be quite durable and really easy to clean, with the top up it is great and I think better than before. Yes there is a shiny finish and not matte but it is better IMO.

The original coating is so fragile and so damn difficult to clean that for me this is the best solution to date. My biggest concern is what effect with it have when I remove it, will this cause damage to to original surface? They have a guarantee but it states that they will refund the price of the film....big deal going towards a replacement price of a Lamborghini navigation unit!

For now I will use the film and if anyone comes across something better please advise the group. Hopefully something better is available.

I found a new replacement LCD for $199. Once it arrives, I will try and fit some kind of protective film on it before I install it. Considering buying one of those screens that clip onto old computer monitors and cutting it up to fit.

What about something like 3M like you get on new phones? Thats the first thing I thought of after noticing the scratches.

I ended up ordering one before you posted your comments, so I ended up trying it out as well.

I found the protection to be okay not 100% but at first it did seem worse than without but after using it I actually like it. I have a Spyder and with top down it is still hard to see but I find it improved slightly. The biggest plus that the film seems to be quite durable and really easy to clean, with the top up it is great and I think better than before. Yes there is a shiny finish and not matte but it is better IMO.

The original coating is so fragile and so damn difficult to clean that for me this is the best solution to date. My biggest concern is what effect with it have when I remove it, will this cause damage to to original surface? They have a guarantee but it states that they will refund the price of the film....big deal going towards a replacement price of a Lamborghini navigation unit!

For now I will use the film and if anyone comes across something better please advise the group. Hopefully something better is available.

Thank you... what was the price of the protective film? so 1-10, would you say 7?

I found a new replacement LCD for $199. Once it arrives, I will try and fit some kind of protective film on it before I install it. Considering buying one of those screens that clip onto old computer monitors and cutting it up to fit.

Did you find a used one of replacement screen? Would you mind posting the info if more are available?

Thank you... what was the price of the protective film? so 1-10, would you say 7?

They sell for $17 www.nushield.com it was the NuShield DayVue, I would rate it a 8.

If interested you will need to select Audi then the Navigation Plus RNS-E '05, this one is exactly cut to size and fit mine perfectly. If you install as per instructions you can't even tell that there is a screen protector on it, it installs really nice.

BTW, if you have a iPhone I would suggest that you order the iPhone protector at the same it, it is really good and fits the 3G perfectly, the 2G has a slightly smaller screen and needs trimmed.

• 3 weeks later...

Update.

Screen arrived in about 1 week. Tried to install it this morning. There are three small screws that have to be removed to free the screen. They hold the screen to the mechanism that tilts it. You can see them when the screen is open. I can't seem to get them out as they are in really tight. It is difficult to put much force on the screw without fear of damage to the mechanism. I may have to take the unit out first. If you are considering a screen swap, you may want to see how tight these screws are before you start.

Yes, these screws can be difficult to remove - especially if the radio is still in the car. Get a GOOD quality Philips screwdriver that fits the screws - don't use one that been chewed up or is too big.

radio_removing_screws_from_LCD_bracket.JPG

Yes, these screws can be difficult to remove - especially if the radio is still in the car. Get a GOOD quality Philips screwdriver that fits the screws - don't use one that been chewed up or is too big.

Going to have to pull out the whole unit as these screws are in tight.

• 4 months later...

Finally got around to swapping the screen today. Those 3 screws were in really tight and would not move. Had to drill them out and replace them. Once they were out, fitting the new screen was easy. Even with drilling out the screws, whole job took about 2 hours. Replacement screen is perfect.