UGR Bolt-on TT system

RedGTS

2 years and we have just heard of it now?

I saw it when it was almost complete and that was about 2 years ago, so that's about right.

Ronnie, I'm happy for you. I know you must be excited for sure. Congrats and be safe......and take Ripper up on driving his car!!! If you want one a little closer to home though, let me know, you can drive mine anytime.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What was the deciding factor in choosing UR over Heffners Performance?

There wasn't really a single deciding factor. As I said earlier, I've done business with Jason before and would be perfectly comfortable sending a car to him, but decided Underground had more than earned a shot as well with all the good things I'd heard about them.

I saw it when it was almost complete and that was about 2 years ago, so that's about right.

Ronnie, I'm happy for you. I know you must be excited for sure. Congrats and be safe......and take Ripper up on driving his car!!! If you want one a little closer to home though, let me know, you can drive mine anytime.

Thanks Kyle! We definitely need to get together and do some TTG cruising before the summer is over. Maybe we can hit the Dragon or something.

Oh and Fadi, one of us needs to buy a Vbox soon. :eusa_think:

Since I am a "tightwad"-Allan, I am waiting to find a used one on ebay..:lol2:

Seriously, I would hardly ever use it (only to get a 60-130 time) and that's why I haven't taken the plunge to purchase one.

Nice Sig, Ronnie.. :icon_mrgreen: I Bet it felt great to write that..:lol2:

Nice Sig, Ronnie.. :icon_mrgreen: I Bet it felt great to write that..:lol2:

Yes--but not nearly as good as it's going to feel to get behind the wheel this weekend!

Thanks Alex--looking forward to getting some seat time in her this weekend!

Ronnie, it's almost that time. Are you getting excited yet??.. :icon_mrgreen:

Ronnie, it's almost that time. Are you getting excited yet??.. :icon_mrgreen:

You know it! Probably won't sleep much tonight. But at least once I get in her I won't have to get out until she's in my garage. I don't know how you ever got back on a plane in Miami! :icon_mrgreen:

You know it! Probably won't sleep much tonight. But at least once I get in her I won't have to get out until she's in my garage. I don't know how you ever got back on a plane in Miami! :icon_mrgreen:

Awesome man. I am excited for you. Can't wait to hear your driving impressions (not that I can't already assume what they will be :lol2:)

Update: I picked up the car yesterday afternoon, and still can't wipe the smile off my face. :) The only thing better than a Gallardo is a TT Gallardo! But on to the details.

When I arrived, the car was freshly detailed and spotless inside and out, and after Kevin and I went for a drive, Kevin and KC went over everything with me (how to operate the boost controller, etc.) and answered all my questions. I also had an opportunity to talk with the technician who did most of the work on my car, and was very impressed. One of the things that helped me decide to send the car to Underground was the fact that I had an opportunity to visit the shop several weeks ago and observe what was going on. The entire operation is very impressive and professional (clean, well-organized, etc.), but the thing that impressed me the most was the techs--the guys who are doing most of the fabrication and installation of various systems, etc. To say that these guys were different from the typical automotive tech at a dealership would be an understatement. I realize this is a personal opinion, and my intention isn't to knock all dealership or other automotive techs as there are certainly some good ones out there, but these guys projected an air of confidence and professionalism that I hadn't seen before in an automotive environment. I mentioned my impression yesterday to Matt, the tech who worked on my car, and he answered simply, "It's a passion. We love what we do, and we treat customers' cars like we would treat our own." And that in a nutshell is the impression I got several weeks earlier from hanging around the shop for a while. Kevin and KC are really fortunate to have guys like Matt as part of their team.

The install looks even better in person than it did in the pictures (of course!). It looks like something OEM IMO. But even better is the driveability. It is not similar to stock, from what I experienced; it is stock. I drove the car the almost 4 hours back home including some very heavy traffic, a couple of stops, etc. and noticed nothing at all any different from stock, with the exception of some cool hisses and whooshes coming from the engine compartment occasionally :). Outside temps varied between 85 and 97 with high humidity, but the water and oil temps and oil pressure all read basically the same place they did before, and stayed there. In short, I detected no driveability issues whatsoever. No idle issues, starting issues, no nothing. Maybe I'll have a hiccup of some sort sometime, but not so far.

There is one other thing that is different, however, and that is the exhaust. I was curious about how the car would sound with the addition of turbos and the X-pipe, deletion of cats and the factory muffler, etc., and I have to say it is just about perfect for me. The sound is similar in tone to the Tubi I had on the car, but maybe 30-40% louder at moderate to WOT, which is just right as far as I'm concerned. But even better is this exhaust doesn't appear to have the drone or resonance that the Tubi sometimes had at cruise/low rpm. The car definitely seemed quieter at interstate cruising speeds than it did before.

As far as power goes, unfortunately cops were crawling all over the interstates between Charlotte and here, and any significant WOT action (in the few places where traffic didn't preclude it anyway) would have been nuts. I did get into some boost briefly a couple of times though, and could obviously feel the major difference over stock, even at the low boost (4 psi) setting the car was on. At one point I was in the left lane with a car on my right and almost missed an unexpected exit ramp, which happened to be an almost immediate 90 degree bend to the right, and while just a touch of throttle easily squirted me past the car on my right quickly enough to dart onto the exit ramp, as I got on the brakes I realized that my very modest touch of throttle had caused me to hit the sharply turning ramp a LOT faster than I thought I was going and I was on the verge of breaking things loose--not good! But I was able to settle things down, and reminded myself that driving a powerful turbo car requires a substantial readjustment of one's driving perspective. It had been a while since I drove anything this fast, and fortunately my reminder didn't come with a price. In any event, by the time I got home, ate dinner, and cleaned the car up it was too late to try do any WOT testing. The weather wasn't very cooperative either (and looks iffy for the next few days as well), so for now you'll have to rely on the dyno numbers, which are undoubtedly more accurate than my butt-dyno anyway! I'll update things again once I have an opportunity to get out and do some boosting.

Overall, the delivery, like the rest of my experience with Underground, was handled very professionally. I'm very happy with the build and looking forward to putting some miles on the car over the next few weeks!

Great writeup Ronnie! Get out there on the 8lb setting and really see what it's about!

Well, we know the factory builds in tolerances, over designs( by a factor of two or so) to cover many of the variables. We also know that tuners bank on the engineering design tolerances to handle the extra power. At 900rwhp(2X stock) all the chips on the table, which means there can be no variables when it comes to driving style, maintenance, fuel quality, oil pressure, etc. Everything has to be perfect or engine goes boom, no?

I would say back off on boost a tad, 750 rwhp is tons of fun, you are playing with fire.

People on this board can look at the lower end tuner market for insight. Tuners in general have been steadily improving the reliability of their set-ups, however they will ALL tell you that Forced Induction on a stock block is a catastrophic failure waiting to happen. A built engine is always preferred as part of F/I build. As mentioned earlier customers that have a boost controller are liable to exceed the motor's capability thereby creating another problem. The tuners I am familiar with always recommend building in as much reliability as possible given the clients constraints, and try to design a system that will be able to accomodate all these factors.

People on this board can look at the lower end tuner market for insight. Tuners in general have been steadily improving the reliability of their set-ups, however they will ALL tell you that Forced Induction on a stock block is a catastrophic failure waiting to happen. A built engine is always preferred as part of F/I build. As mentioned earlier customers that have a boost controller are liable to exceed the motor's capability thereby creating another problem. The tuners I am familiar with always recommend building in as much reliability as possible given the clients constraints, and try to design a system that will be able to accomodate all these factors.

Not always true, I have built plenty of 600+ WHP 3000gt/stealths on stock short blocks that ran that way for menny menny yrs and thats on a 3.0L V6 with cast pistions. In fact one of my own street cars made 714 awhp on a stock short block and ran that way for yrs. I also ran over 800whp on a stock short block that ran 9.74@151mph in the 1/4 mile but it did not live long:)

Well the weather looked good this evening, so I decided to take the TTG to run an errand. Little did I know. :rolleyes:

I finally had the chance to play around some at WOT, and all I can say is WOW! The first time was in first gear from about a 30 mph roll, and I think I hurt my neck. I'm being dead serious. I always thought that was more a figure of speech than anything, but as soon as I hit it my head snapped back so hard I really may have whiplash. Then things really got interesting. I don't want to get into a lot of details on a public forum, but let's just say I now know how my car stacks up against a ZX-10R from a low speed roll. Now this is still on 4 psi and pump gas, and yes he pulled on me, but he did not totally slaughter me like he would have when the car was stock. It took a lot more effort than he expected and did not happen instantly, and he told me afterward that he was very surprised how well the car hung in there. A friend who started out directly behind us in an SLK55 told me he had the car floored, and that it felt like he was in a Beetle as we were "gone." He also said that between the bike's exhaust (aftermarket) and the TTG's, he couldn't hear his normally throaty exhaust note at all :). I'm confident that a 600cc sport bike would lose to the pump gas stock-motored TTG.

Maybe the best part of the whole thing is that I had no traction issues at all at this setting, even from a roll in 1st. The car just hooks and goes. The 600-650 rwhp level is a fabulous match for the Gallardo chassis IMO and can be driven hard without worrying too much about unexpected problems, as long as you're careful in significant corners. I can't imagine what the 8 or 10 psi setting would feel like! :eusa_dance: But I suspect I'll leave the pump gas in it for a good while and see how things go and how long it takes me to get used to the power. It really is amazing how much the extra power enhances the overall driving experience!

Time to find out :icon_thumleft:

Might just do that once I run the rest of this tank of pump out of it, which shouldn't be long--I've driven it to the office twice this week already. :)

Time to find out :icon_thumleft:

You are a horrible influence! :)

Thanks for sharing your driving experiences with the car Ronnie, sounds like you are having a blast!