Help needed

Chipster

Well guys I just got the car home. We ended up trailering it. Anyways....the "Check Engine Left" and "Check Engine Right" lights have come on. This happened when crossing 42000 KM roughly. All my temps are pressures looked fine though. It's running great, sounds great...Any idea what this could be? Also, what do your guys' oil pressures usually read? Advice and feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!

P.S. It's a 91 and has SP engineering intake tubes and Borla exhaust.

I was going to take some pics but the lighting in the garage is terrible and I'm exhausted haha. Little concerned about those lights mentioned above :(

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I tried the test to see how many times they flash and I think it was 3 flashes for each, which is a "running rich error"....

Also, the car had been in Oklahoma prior to this....could suddenly being in virginia with a different air content have caused this?

Also, the car had been in Oklahoma prior to this....could suddenly being in virginia with a different air content have caused this?

Sorry to hear that. I don't know enough about these yet but, in my Ferrari ownership experience, the CEL has ALWAYS had to do with the O2 sensors. Always. If they are faulty now, it could cause this problem.

I would check these things, in order..........

Battery - Make sure that it is holding a charge. When you buy an exotic, the odds of it having sat for a long time is high. If you don't have a receipt from when this one was purchased, buy a new one.

Gas - Could it be old gas? A cheap "fix".

Air Filter - Probably not the issue but a VERY easy thing to check.

Spark Plugs - Could easily be fouled.

O2 Sensors - This is my guess. I am guessing (from the age of the car) that there is only 1 per side. Haven't looked into it though.

Wires - Maybe a faulty wire or two.

Distributor Cap - Maybe faulty or need a cleaning

I would put the odds at 60% that is is one of those things. Most of this stuff should be changed in your first few months of new ownership anyway.

post-3902-1247952323_thumb.jpg

post-3902-1247952334_thumb.jpg

post-3902-1247952344_thumb.jpg

post-3902-1247952356_thumb.jpg

Some pics of the car after washing this morning. And no the VENMMS license plate will not be staying for long. I just used that to get it registered so I could do the custom plate online :)

nice job.

have you driven it yet?

Driven it quite a bit. Tried to get it inspected this morning after doing the DMV registration and the Mercedes dealership wouldnt' touch it. Have to try and find a local place one afternoon this week or next weekend. Check engine lights went out. My ONLY concern now is the oil pressure. It seems almost bottomed out at idle but the engine sounds perfect. No oil burning smell, no leakage. Not sure what the deal is

Dear Lamborghinisti,

Beautiful Diablo Chipster !!!

The rims suit the white color and red interior.

Ummm.....are you sure you measured that garage opening before you try to drive in?

About the oil pressure....did you check the oil level?

Call Evans Automotive. I'm sure there's a way of attaching an external pressure gauge to measure what's really coming off the engine at a certain RPM. Change the oil....perhaps the viscosity is wrong.

Shamile

Suggestions on what brand and weight oil (5W 40 or 10W 40?)to use besides AGIP? I'm thinking Royal Purple or Mobil One. Read somewhere there was concern for using synthetic on the earlier diablos....Suggestions would be awesome on what to use :)

Cool car Chipster and welcome to the Diablo -91 Club. Personally when I buy a car I Allways change all filters and fluids just to know exactly whats in there and to start from brand new. I also did cables, plugs, wires and distributorcap

Good luck with your new car

:icon_thumleft:

Dear Lamborghinisti,

Beautiful Diablo Chipster !!!

The rims suit the white color and red interior.

Ummm.....are you sure you measured that garage opening before you try to drive in?

About the oil pressure....did you check the oil level?

Call Evans Automotive. I'm sure there's a way of attaching an external pressure gauge to measure what's really coming off the engine at a certain RPM. Change the oil....perhaps the viscosity is wrong.

Shamile

Shamile,

Oil level does look a little low after checking. I'm going to do an oil change. So fully synthetic is a no no for the early Diablos?

Suggestions on what brand and weight oil (5W 40 or 10W 40?)to use besides AGIP? I'm thinking Royal Purple or Mobil One. Read somewhere there was concern for using synthetic on the earlier diablos....Suggestions would be awesome on what to use :)

Dear Lamborghinisti,

I use Mobil 1 15W50 oil. The manual calls for 10W40 but when I talked with Mobil 1, they told me that the 15W50 was their high performance replacement for their 10W40.

I believe the Mobil still has the highest level of zddp. I can't say if the lack of zddp in general now requires one to buy it in additive form.

I also use the same oil in my 91 Ferrari Testarossa....no leaks except slightly at the bottom of the valve covers ( boxer engine) ...nothing on the garage floor though.

Shamile

Also, what oil filter do most of you go with? Just want to be sure i'm ordering the right things. Was planning on doing Redline 15W 50 for oil and Fram ph2842 for the filter....

I use semi synthetic without problem.

I would steer clear of racing oil. Its only made for short time use before changing.

Viscosity depends a lot on weather. Its super hot in the summer in AZ, so my oil choice may be different then those around other parts.

What defines racing oil? I'm just not sure what to get. Manual says 10w40 but people on here say 15w 50 or 20w 50. Some people say semi synthetic, some full synthetic haha. I'm in Virginia so it can be pretty hot but not like AZ

I went ahead and ordered the 10W40 AGIP stuff and a Lambo oil filter. Just finished taking the SP Engineering intakes off. It already has some K&N's on it but the edging has torn on both of them so i'm going to order new filters as well. This seems very simple to work on so far. Just need to get a jack and i'll be all set to change the oil :)