Help needed

Chipster

You couldn't be more right. The filters were here when I got home from work so I thought, "hey, i'll just pop these back in real quick"........Yeaaaa, that didn't happen. Took like an hour or more. That intake section is not flat. Oh well, they are on well enough now. Upon starting up, my oil pressure did go up to about 6 bar and stayed somewhere around 3 after warmed up. Still going to do the oil change once the filter gets here though. Someone may have to try the air filters by AFE, because they advertise as a direct fit for Lamborghini Diablo. The K&N's, while fitting, do not show up on the K&N website as fitting.

I went with some OC filters (also a direct fit) and it was a tight fit.

I think the tight fit is good.

You should look at the opening at the bottom of the housing. Some Diablos were built with restrictors instead of a free flowing hole that has more air coming in.

Some have it, some do not.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol, too late. Not looking back down in there for a while :) I glanced when they were off though and don't recall noticing anything

I went with some OC filters (also a direct fit) and it was a tight fit.

I think the tight fit is good.

You should look at the opening at the bottom of the housing. Some Diablos were built with restrictors instead of a free flowing hole that has more air coming in.

Some have it, some do not.

Dear Lamborghinisti,

Those aren't restrictors but venturi tubes to speed up and reduce turbulence in the air entering the engine.

Chipster,

Do a search on fitting K&N filters on a Diablo. I did a full thread on the modification to the air box. Mine now fit perfectly with no open gap on the air box.

Shamile

Could someone possibly take a picture (91-93 Diablo) of the wire I need to disconnect to stop the AC compressor from running? I searched and found about the kill switch, but I really dont want it to come on anytime. I dont mind sweating a little :)

Found out that the previous owner used AGIP as well so I just added some oil instead of doing a full oil change for now. Seems to have helped a little

:iamwithstupid:

On my '99, there is only ONE wire going to the A/C compressor. Just disconnect it at the connector, a few inches up on the wire from

where it goes into the compressor. Are the '91 to '93 models different? You can mount a relay near the compressor, and run a switch

for the relay up to the dash, console, or wherever, if you want to have control over it.

Ok, just in case i'm not 100% positive where the compressor is, a picture would still be nice :) I believe I know the wire but would like to be positive. Drove the car a decent amount today, it's a blast.

Ok, just in case i'm not 100% positive where the compressor is, a picture would still be nice :) I believe I know the wire but would like to be positive. Drove the car a decent amount today, it's a blast.

Some photos of the A/C compressor and wire in this thread: http://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=41371

post_6577_1245023258_thumb.jpg

Thanks. Is it the red wire and the black connector that I undo in the above picture?

Dear Lamborghinisti,

....yes it is.

Don't worry about your power steering pump missing.....you don't have one. :D

Shamile

Chip - great meeting you today. Beautiful car. Get it checked out by Richard/Fernando as soon as you can. After today's drive, my cold oil pressure on start up was 8 bar dropping to 3 bar at idle once warmed up. This was using M1 5w40 TSUV oil (a really good Group IV oil - probably the best off-the-shelf M1 you can buy). I will be switching to Motul 300V 15w50 on my next fluid change just as an insurance for the heat and humidity of VA.

Thanks guys! Love the first picture Alan. I'll have to get it up there for them to take a look at the oil pressure thing in the next few weeks

Chip - great meeting you today. Beautiful car. Get it checked out by Richard/Fernando as soon as you can. After today's drive, my cold oil pressure on start up was 8 bar dropping to 3 bar at idle once warmed up. This was using M1 5w40 TSUV oil (a really good Group IV oil - probably the best off-the-shelf M1 you can buy). I will be switching to Motul 300V 15w50 on my next fluid change just as an insurance for the heat and humidity of VA.

A thicker oil will flow less through an engine at a given temperature, which is not what you want. If your engine cooling system is working properly it doesn't matter what temperature or humidity is outside, the engine will run at the same temperature regardless.

A thicker oil will flow less through an engine at a given temperature, which is not what you want. If your engine cooling system is working properly it doesn't matter what temperature or humidity is outside, the engine will run at the same temperature regardless.

What you're saying is correct in theory, unfortunately in real life high output mid-engine motors inevitably run very hot regardless of how well the cooling system is working resulting in possible oil shear and/or lower oil pressure. The only real fix to this is using thicker oil if the car is driven hard for sustained periods. I checked with a couple of Lambo techs, and they all advised me to switch to 15w50. DC area summers are hot enough that I don't need 5w protection at start up - 15w works just fine. But the 50 weight at operating temperatures provides the added insurance during hard driving.

If I remember correctly, the Lambo factory actually told Simon George (he's a member here and an EVO writer) to switch to Agip Racing 4T 20w50 on both his V12 cars to deal with low oil pressure after hard driving (see EVO 132).

My oil temp is great. Just the pressure gauge that concerns me, which i'm hoping is a sensor. We will see

Chip, in your case the oil pressure sender or the actual gauge is probably the issue. Get that checked out first. You can play with oil grades after.

Hope my banter with Jota1995 didn't hijack your thread :-) Just trying to add to the tech conversation.

I'd have to disagree when it comes to mid engine Italian sports cars. The cooling system can be working properly per the manufacturer but that still doesn't mean it's adequate for high heat conditions. especially very early cars.

I think the oil is a matter of personal preference so i'm not expecting much consensus on that. I think there are very few people that run the same grade oils, some are even using fully synthetic which I've heard can be an issue. To each his own. No need to apologize Arjun. Some very knowledgable people on here which I am thankful for!

What you're saying is correct in theory, unfortunately in real life high output mid-engine motors inevitably run very hot regardless of how well the cooling system is working resulting in possible oil shear and/or lower oil pressure. The only real fix to this is using thicker oil if the car is driven hard for sustained periods. I checked with a couple of Lambo techs, and they all advised me to switch to 15w50. DC area summers are hot enough that I don't need 5w protection at start up - 15w works just fine. But the 50 weight at operating temperatures provides the added insurance during hard driving.

If I remember correctly, the Lambo factory actually told Simon George (he's a member here and an EVO writer) to switch to Agip Racing 4T 20w50 on both his V12 cars to deal with low oil pressure after hard driving (see EVO 132).

Using thicker oil for hard sustained driving (this is where the oil temp will get much hotter than usual and oil shear might be a concern) is much different from using thicker oil for hot weather.

I just don't want to see anyone moving to a thicker oil for the wrong reasons, which may cause more damage than good.

Chipster, hope it is just a sensor.

Chipster, your best bet is to do a oil change asap. You could have something as simple as a clogged or collapsed oil filter. If you dont know the maintenance of the car, my opinion would be is to change all the fluids. Your Diablo is almost 18yrs. old.

Chipster, your best bet is to do a oil change asap. You could have something as simple as a clogged or collapsed oil filter. If you dont know the maintenance of the car, my opinion would be is to change all the fluids. Your Diablo is almost 18yrs. old.

I have no plans this weekend and the oil filter and oil is all here so I might as well do that and see what happens. I have a BS and ME in engineering so i'm almost certain that it has to be a sensor or gauge issue and not a true oil pressure issue. The car wouldn't idle at 1.5 bar and sound perfect. There is no power loss, no oil leaks, etc. But better to be safe than sorry

I have no plans this weekend and the oil filter and oil is all here so I might as well do that and see what happens. I have a BS and ME in engineering so i'm almost certain that it has to be a sensor or gauge issue and not a true oil pressure issue. The car wouldn't idle at 1.5 bar and sound perfect. There is no power loss, no oil leaks, etc. But better to be safe than sorry

When I do a oil change. I drive over to the local oil change place. I bring my own oil and filter. I use there pit, pay the 40 bucks they charge and tip the manager 20 bucks. This is the way to go IMO. The car is low and a bitch to get under. Good Luck.