LP560-4 Check enjine light

First

Just receive my new LP560 today. Car was bone dry on the fuel and I didnt know. Idle the car for a short while with occasional revving until the enjine start misfiring.

Car went into choking and went dead. First thought is fuel. Went out to get 40 litres of premium and fill her in. Car started normally but now the problem is there's a check enjine light.

Does anyone know how to clear this check enjine light? Prior to filling the car up, when the car went dead, there's a fault code of EPC 1 - 5 and EPC 6 - 10. It went away after filling her up.

I honestly hope I didn't do any damage to her! Very stupid of me not to notice all these cars come with almost NO fuel.

Could anyone advise how do I clear the check enjine codes without a DTC reader/diagnostic clearing device. Any inputs of advise would be very much appreciated now. Doh... :eusa_wall:

No dealer where I'm located. Self grey import.

If the only way to clear them is to get a DTC reader, could anyone name the DTC reader and where I could get them? Otherwise I would have to fly a Lambo tech in from another town. Blah..

A friend suggested disconnecting the battery terminal for 1 hour. Saying it would clear the fault code in the ECU. Is this doable?

Take about 5 short (5 mile trips). Shutting down the car after each one. If nothing else is currently wrong, the lights will go out. Not a big deal, it happens on these cars from time to time. If you see the check engine light flashing, that means the problematic conditions is happening "right now". Solid light means there was a problem earlier.

Thanks for the info Turbomike! Yes the enjine light is solid. It didn't blink or anything.

I am surprised since with my other cars, I've ran them dry and the car died too but on those cars I never see a check enjine light came on. You just fill the car up with fuel and its good and ready to go with not check enjine codes at all. So my question is, would running the Gallardo dry and eventually causing the enjine to stop cause the check enjine light to come on? Or do you suspect something more sinister?

So what you suggest is, just take the car out for FIVE short 5 miles drive with each 5 miles turning the car off, letting it rest and repeat it for 5 times? And if there's no current fault issues, the enjine light would go off by itself?

It's usually about the oxygen sensors or fuel censors. If the warning doesn't go away after 5 - 10 min then there must be something wrong, in your case I think it's the fuel which caused the error, just drive it then the error should go away

I never knew check enjine lights would just go away by itself if there's no prevalent faults. Always thought they would stay on until erased by a DTC reader.

I'll try it tomorrow and see how things go. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the info Turbomike! Yes the enjine light is solid. It didn't blink or anything.

I am surprised since with my other cars, I've ran them dry and the car died too but on those cars I never see a check enjine light came on. You just fill the car up with fuel and its good and ready to go with not check enjine codes at all. So my question is, would running the Gallardo dry and eventually causing the enjine to stop cause the check enjine light to come on? Or do you suspect something more sinister?

So what you suggest is, just take the car out for FIVE short 5 miles drive with each 5 miles turning the car off, letting it rest and repeat it for 5 times? And if there's no current fault issues, the enjine light would go off by itself?

I would imagine that the fuel got so low that it misfired, and the misfire sensors picked up on that - throwing the code.

5 short trips should do it...Some even say you can turn the key on and off 5 times, but I don't think that will work. Usually on OBDII cars if the code does not reappear for X amount of time or X amount of miles, the light goes out. I've found that taking a handfull of small trips usually clears them out (as long as the condition does not return).

On a LP 560 yes running out of fuel can cause a check engine light with the direct injection system. When its starving for fuel several things can happen miss fires and so on. The rpm is a calculation of what the fuel presure is so as it runs out of fuel even the rpm signal can stop. I would drive the car like was already said. Drive it as you normaly would after a few drives it should shut lights off. It will keep codes stores in ECU but thats ok. You can not damaged the engine by running out of fuel so dont worry but it can turn the lights on no big deal. Like I always say dont sweet check engine lights as long as car runs ok. If cat lights come on then you have a issue and stop the car and have it checked.

Thanks Jeff for the insight. But I would still like to argue it doesn't make much practical sense if everytime the car runs out of fuel, the check enjine light just pops on and decides to stay there. In this case you've assured me saying it wont stay on, which is a good thing. But I still find it stupid, as stupid as running the car out of fuel :icon_rolleyes:

But no, no cat lights coming on. Mind to share into why cat lights coming on would mean you're screwed?

Dont have the car with me now as I'm travelling blah. Would try it out when I'm back. Thanks again guys.

Thanks Jeff for the insight. But I would still like to argue it doesn't make much practical sense if everytime the car runs out of fuel, the check enjine light just pops on and decides to stay there. In this case you've assured me saying it wont stay on, which is a good thing. But I still find it stupid, as stupid as running the car out of fuel :icon_rolleyes:

But no, no cat lights coming on. Mind to share into why cat lights coming on would mean you're screwed?

Dont have the car with me now as I'm travelling blah. Would try it out when I'm back. Thanks again guys.

The computer doesn't know that you have run out of fuel. All it knows is that the engine is misfiring, and that is what the check engine light is reporting on.

Cat light can be very important since it indicates that the cat is over its operating temperature (since cats operate between 1000 deg F and 1500 deg F, anything above that could cause a convection induced fire.)

What mike said about cats is true. The other thing that can happen is the cats can melt and come apart and the debree can be sucked back into the engine on decell and damage engine. The check engine or obd2 system is a goverment inposed system. On alot of cars if you leave the gas cap loose it will turn on a check engine lights just the wave of the future. Some DTC will not go away on there own it depends on there priorty setting. Most will if no further malfuntion. It can take some time of driving dont expect them to turn off right away. Injoy the car.

And if you think a cat won't come apart from misfiring...Check out this vid I took of my friends car when he screwed up his coil wiring, and his car misfired. It literally only took about 30 seconds of run time for this to happen.

Alright today I took the car out for a drive and the enjine lights didn't clear up. Now the sad thing is EPC 1 - 5 and EPC 6 - 10 came up on one single traffic light. Other then that car is normal. Didn't have the patience to wait so went home and took out the negative battery terminal for 10 minutes hoping that would clear up the ECU. Now the stupid thing starts. The check enjine light is gone BUT the traction light came on! Thats the same light you see when you turn your ESP off. The light looks like a car with 2 skidding marks from behind. I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about. Other then that car runs fine and check enjine light weren't there. WTF? So the car just decides to throw the stupid misfiring code as it likes? There was once where the car is rather erratic in its rpm so it doesn't look so good to me. I recall another LP560 owner on this forum having same issue with his car and it took him to replace the fuel pumps. I hope mine doesn't comes to that at all. I have yet to plug the car in to the Lambo OBDII reader. No dealer here so gotta fly someone in soon.

One other thing, eversince I took out the battery terminal to reset the car and put it back, the car DOES NOT remotely lock the car now! Wtf? As in you can't lock or unlock the car doors using your wireless remote key. Car still starts fine with the manual insert key. So is Lambo expecting me to believe that everytime my car battery runs out, I will loose my car immobiliser/car locking functions? Or did I just get a car from hell? sigh......

I expect more headaches to come. I'm gonna drive my others cars until the Lambo dudes turn up and fix the ridiculous thing. What a luck. So much for german reliability. :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :eusa_naughty: :eusa_naughty:

When you unplug the battery you will get the traction light, but it goes away in literally 20 feet of driving. (At least it did on my 04).

Also, when you unplug the battery you will need to 'program' the remotes again. It's simple. (someone correct me, because I don't think this is correct, but it's close) - Put key in ignition, turn key on but do not start car, press lock and unlock. Take key out, and press lock and unlock again. It should now be programmed. (It's in the manual, too)

When you unplug the battery you will get the traction light, but it goes away in literally 20 feet of driving. (At least it did on my 04).

Also, when you unplug the battery you will need to 'program' the remotes again. It's simple. (someone correct me, because I don't think this is correct, but it's close) - Put key in ignition, turn key on but do not start car, press lock and unlock. Take key out, and press lock and unlock again. It should now be programmed. (It's in the manual, too)

It sounds like you may a fuel pump issue. As far as the other light its on because the sterring angle sensor needs reprogramed after the battery unhooked like Mike said drive the car turn the wheel side to side and go around the block this will program strring angle sensor. Mike your right you are close on how to reprogram the remote put the key in the ign.

press & hold the unlock side of the remote while holding the button down turn the key to the on postion and wait about 5 sec. then the remote will work may need to reprogram one touch windows also. All are from unhooking the battery.

There was a issue with the fuel pumps on the early LP560 not a big deal unless you have no dealer sorry for you issues.

It sounds like you may a fuel pump issue. As far as the other light its on because the sterring angle sensor needs reprogramed after the battery unhooked like Mike said drive the car turn the wheel side to side and go around the block this will program strring angle sensor. Mike your right you are close on how to reprogram the remote put the key in the ign.

press & hold the unlock side of the remote while holding the button down turn the key to the on postion and wait about 5 sec. then the remote will work may need to reprogram one touch windows also. All are from unhooking the battery.

There was a issue with the fuel pumps on the early LP560 not a big deal unless you have no dealer sorry for you issues.

How do you program in one touch windows?? Can it be done on earilier cars (Pre LP560)? No one seems to know how to do it, and it's not in the manual.

And if you think a cat won't come apart from misfiring...Check out this vid I took of my friends car when he screwed up his coil wiring, and his car misfired. It literally only took about 30 seconds of run time for this to happen.

Easy fix???

I love your accent btw., reminds me of 'everybody loves raymond'

How do you program in one touch windows?? Can it be done on earilier cars (Pre LP560)? No one seems to know how to do it, and it's not in the manual.

Roll the window all the way down then roll the window all the way up do not reless button hold it up for about 5-10 sec. then it should be programed. If I recall the R/side will not roll up in one touch??? Its a safty thing you could roll the wife

up in it. But i will play with one.

Roll the window all the way down then roll the window all the way up do not reless button hold it up for about 5-10 sec. then it should be programed. If I recall the R/side will not roll up in one touch??? Its a safty thing you could roll the wife

up in it. But i will play with one.

Oh, I thought you could program the remote to roll the windows up or down by holding the lock or unlock button.

Hmmm thats why I love these forums. Lots of helpful and wonderful minds who's willing to share in like you guys.

I got the key programmed again and the tractions light as mention by you guys, its off now. One happy man now since the car feels "clean" again without any of those stupid error coded lights. Check enjine light is also no longer there which means there's no prevalent enjine issue.

One thing bothers me though, do I really have the fuel pump issue? Since I DID see the EPC 1-5 EPC 6-10 error messages couple of times during driving. Under normal circumstance it shouldn't have pop up if your car is normal. Or is it common for gallardo to pop up such messages once in a while? Couldn't really understand. I will drive the car more and come back with more feedbacks on whether I see those stupid messages again. Hopefully not and I'm inclined to think that it is from the car being stored for 6 months without being driven. (Car was stored for 6 months in a UK warehouse undriven) So if I took the car out for continous few days of hard driving, perhaps that would clear up the moisture inside and clears thing up?

Jefflambo, you mention earlier LP560's have the fuel pump issues. Does this involved random earlier cars or ALL earlier car? And do you have any idea what VIN range they are in? My car is is right hand drive from the UK so it might not be in the same range as you guys but what I have is 7600. I do believe it is an early car. It is brand new but the car was never bought for 6 months?

You may want to use a fuel stabilizer if you are storing your G for such long periods of time. Otherwise the fuel goes bad, expecially that rotten UK fuel :)

If the 560 is like earlier G's then you should become VERY aware that the fuel guage is not linear. On earlier cars, once the needle moves the slightest from full, you are down 30 litres. When the guage reads half full, you have little fuel left. It is down 50 litres, on an approx. 80 litre tank. Further down, you are running on fumes. It is VERY easy to run out of fuel!

Thanks for the input Carbuff. Yes I notice that as well. The fuel gauge is definately not linear. I could run my other cars like Merc and Lexus down to practically the last marking but on the G, you almost can feel the car choking for fuel with full quarter tank left (there's four 1/4 marks on the fuel gauge).

My car starts to run normal now. Hmmm it must be the 6 months of storing that cause the throttle body and intakes to screw up from all those moisture built up. Never knew it could be this apparent. German electronics it is lol.

Keeping fingers crossed for now. Hoping the error code for EPC does not strike me once in a while. I recall another forum member with LP having this as well only to find out at a later stage that he has bad fuel pumps. Anyone know how much the fuel pumps cost in the states? And how hard is it to replace them? Just doing some contigency plan so in the case i'm heading down that route I would know what I'm going to be in for expecting the worst.

The vin on my UK model is in the 7600 range, anyone knows if this is considered the early 560 built that has the faulty batches of fuel pumps?

One other thing, I have been looking for the engraving of the enjine number for my car but couldn't locate them. Anyone knows where its located? Is it on the main enjine block?

One other thing, I have been looking for the engraving of the enjine number for my car but couldn't locate them. Anyone knows where its located? Is it on the main enjine block?

Yes hard to see but if you look in at the engine from the right hand side look at the back of the intack in between the last two intack runners (tubes) and you should see the #. No not all early cars had fuel pump issues just some if Lambo knows what Vin # they arent saying but hopfull all is good with you car know.