Shady American Skyline Owners Beware, You Are In Trouble!

Destructo

I have no doubt the U.S. government has the motivation and determination to pull something like this, but is it legit? Anyone get notifications yet?

Personally, I am unaffected by this as my car has it's federal paperwork back when import was legal. However, those who purchased shells, through Kaizo or through other grey market channels, and those with gaps in their import documentation that cannot show that a RI handled the car, your days are numbered.

This owner is from CA and CARB came to his house to photograph the car. At first they asked, but he was told if he refused, a warrant would be issued and the car would be seized so they could do whatever they wanted with it. Kaizo's entire customer list is being visited. The letters are following about two weeks behind them arriving to photograph the car.

Skylines are significantly more expensive in the US that in other countries, so forcing the export of the car represents a lot of financial damage. When someone from the USA is selling a JDM car for export only, the world knows that it is likely forced and they have a limited amount of time to sell the car. The buyer has a lot of leverage.

For those of you who have spoken with me and heard me extolling the virtues of cars that came in through registered importers and ignoring everything else, now you know why. Be careful with your greys, boys and girls.

skyline_seizure.jpg

I was looking for an R34 and found one with good mods (although I was looking for stock) for $80K a few months ago. I really want one, but this is exactly the sort of thing I worry about.

I know a guy selling his 33 in Canada for $15K. They go for a lot more here, but I don't want to figure out what has to be done to the car in order to get it here.

- Robert

I have no doubt the U.S. government has the motivation and determination to pull something like this, but is it legit? Anyone get notifications yet?

Sure looks legit to me......

Rather than giving up the car, couldn't you just state that it is a track only and/or show vehicle and keep it? Lot better than selling it for pennies or having it taken.

Rather than giving up the car, couldn't you just state that it is a track only and/or show vehicle and keep it? Lot better than selling it for pennies or having it taken.

That may get you past DOT and EPA..... But it doesnt get you past Customs.

Aren't there more pressing issues that our government should be worried about at this time?? :eusa_think:

-J

Everyone these days must 'justify' their jobs. It wouldn't surprise me if some dork that had been hiding in a closet for the past 15 years on the taxpayers arm, all the sudden woke up when he realized his job was in jeopardy, and said "Boss, you can't get rid of me!!! Who will hunt down all of those illegal Nissan Skylines that are in the country!??!?"

Sad, Here is what we do in NZ. We find a fxxked up skyline that worth nothing but it is Currently Registered and Road Legal. And swap the VIN plate and Number plate.

BTW, I thought the Orignial condition skyline GTRs here are expensive but I think it's nothing compare to the Price in US. R32 $20-23K NZ (14-17k US), R33 $22k-26k NZ (15-19k US), R34 $40-60k NZ (32-42k US).