User name changes are WRONG thing to do.

carbuff

I would like to suggest that honoring user name changes be STOPPED.

For example, if someone is a dick on this site, then they can just hide behind a new user name, and thus redeem themselves.

Your username can either give you earned respect from the other members, or you become known as a joke, depending to what you contribute to this forum.

It is your pedigree, good or bad. It also keeps users more likely in line with good tastes and expectations of behaviour on this website.

Now, I undertand that some users want to change their username for valid reasons. Blah, blah...

But it creates confusion and possible deceipt. Just like changing your personal name in real life could.

One minute you think that you are communicating with "Albofaz", and then next minute his user name is "MegaYachtBro". So who is that now? You have just lost all history (good or bad) of knowing a bit about the "new" guy now posting to your thread.

Just a ficticious example, but you get the drift... Or if the higly regarded "Lambotech" changed his username, all of a sudden you would not believe his advice as much, since it is coming from a new total stranger.

Thoughts?

I agree completely, only time is should happen is if a sponsor has a username and then stops being a sponsor. Maybe leave the old username underneath it though. Its why I dont like usernames like "06whiteGallardo", i start thinking there going to want to change it at some point

• 2 weeks later...

When a screenname is changed all posts previously posted by the user are still assigned to said user and are viewable by selecting post history.

I understand that, but that does not change my opinion. I usually do not go into post history when communicating with someone on the board. Not sure if many users would normally do that...

I understand that, but that does not change my opinion. I usually do not go into post history when communicating with someone on the board. Not sure if many users would normally do that...

I was answering your previous post. You posted:

For example, if someone is a dick on this site, then they can just hide behind a new user name, and thus redeem themselves.

You have just lost all history (good or bad) of knowing a bit about the "new" guy now posting to your thread.

Now clearly this is not the case. If someone is a dick on this site they CANNOT hide behind a new username. ALL history (good or bad) is definitely NOT lost with a username change. All posts made by the user are still archived as mentioned. Thus the new username does not allow hiding of previous posting history as none of it is lost.

User-name changes should be considered based on the reasons from the member making the request and if the member is an asset to the board.

With some situations, it does make sense to change the user-name.

like for instance, my real name is Roman, but when I first signed on, I almost got banned because I was stealing romandad's name, Hence my name change to BBerry.

I dont have a problem with Name Changes.... Hell, you may want one before ya know it....

In terms of "Peoplke getting banned signing up with new SNs" well... Yeah.... We dont KNOWINGLY allow that.... But there is just so much we can do to stop it.... Once weve exhausted those steps and they STILL come back (and I have personally banned over 20 different screennames for ONE banned user) Theres not a whole hell of a lot we can do.

User name changes should be whatever the owner of this privately owned board wants to let them be.

:iamwithstupid:

"From now on your Delta Tau Chi name is Pinto"