How safe or dangerous are Lambos for kids?

joebiz

Engine placement does not come into it when it comes to the pedestrian regulations. The strength of the bonnet is not dependant on what lies beneath it.

I thought for example, Mercedes, was forced to dump the supercharged 5.5 V8 on the AMG models because of that regulation. The reason was quoted as: the 5.5 engine was too high with an SC and close to the front of the hood. So Merc went with the higher liter 6.3 v-8 to save space in the engine bay since it wouldn't have a Supercharger sitting on top. Same hp but less efficient engine with gas usage and slower response than the AMG-55s. Change made just because of that regulation. Or so I believe. If there's a better explanation, please chime in.

Seriously I'm curious.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought for example, Mercedes, was forced to dump the supercharged 5.5 V8 on the AMG models because of that regulation. The reason was quoted as: the 5.5 engine was too high with an SC and close to the front of the hood. So Merc went with the higher liter 6.3 v-8 to save space in the engine bay since it wouldn't have a Supercharger sitting on top. Same hp but less efficient engine with gas usage and slower response than the AMG-55s. Change made just because of that regulation. Or so I believe. If there's a better explanation, I'd like to hear it.

Seriously I'm curious.

Well, look at the height of bonnets on some of the majority of the mainstream cars tested, very high. In fact many cars like Ford Focus, Renault Laguna, eg the main stream cars have had the bonnet areas lifted up to make for better passenger impact results.

If you look at Mercedes euro NCAP impact tests for an E class it does not perform that well - but it is the 02 model tested listed on their site.

Also the AMG models would not wholly govern a design policy, Merc sell shovel loads of diesels etc in Europe, way more than AMG models around the world. Admittedly I am not 100% on the reasoning for the move away from the 55amg engine but I would say that it was changed for future proofing on the emissions/power reasons rather the pedestrian safety reasons - whilst not as efficient or powerful as the model it replaced but it could sideside step some existing legislation that the predecessor failed on or as you mention the supercharger prevents the use of softer bonnet materials.

From a position of enticing consumers right now engine emissions and driver/passenger safety is more marketable than the safety of Joe idiot walking out in front of you.

Essentially how they look at it is low frontal area tips the pedestrian's head/body into the bonnet with a greater force than that of a bonnet which is level with the average human's hip.

Too high and it is a brick wall hitting the pedestrian.

I imagine that Lamborghinis are safer than my Accord even though if the passenger isn't heavy enough it cuts off the airbag.

You must have some light passengers, becasue I was taking a box out to see one of my customers and the fcuking thing kept tripping the switch in my audi and made the light and 'ding' sound go off stating my passenger wasnt wearing a seat belt. I ended up just putting the seat belt around the box!

I died laughing when I read this. Funny thing is, if you actually told her that, she would not know what the fcuk you are talking about. Listen, Joe, your kids are safe as anything in the front of that car. As Tommy has said numerous times, that car handles impact at much higher speeds. It is tested just like any other car is before it comes into the country. It gets every angle, numerous hits, off center hits and different bumper heights too. The airbag is the killer for a small child. Since the Lambo, since 2002 with the Murci and 04 with the Gallardo, allows you to kill the bag you are good to go. The only caveat I would see if taking an infant that requires a rear facing seat. Even then you are likely ok. Hell, the car has LATCH built in to the passenger seat. Just remember this, when we were kids we rode in our parents laps and laid down in the back seats with no seat belts on. We are infinitely more safe today than we ever have been, I am sure that your precious cargo would be just fine. Tell the lady to shut her blow hole.

Perfectly said.