The BF Performance Lamborghini Murcielago

a007apl

As the saying goes, to a hammer, the solution to every problem is a nail. In the case of mod companies, they are often applying solutions to things that aren't problems in the first place in an attempt to build a business to the point where they really ruin the very reputation they hope to earn in the first place. Selling a wing for the sake of selling a wing without ever considering aesthetic balance or even asking the question, why isn't Lamborghini doing this in the first place? Again, more seems to be more.

I can see LP560 bumper replacement on an original Gallardo because it's not messing with the basic character of the car and it fits within Lamborghini's design direction, however some of these mod shops think they are winning business when they end up looking like they know nothing about the integrity of the original design in the first place. Why stop there? Why not go with the florescent fur interior? After all it's brighter?

Even something as simple as aftermarket wheels often are completely out of balance with the design, yet more is more, make them bigger and more outrageous, and somehow that's a better business. I loved Fred's "Pet Zebra" Gallardo because he did modifications in moderation and never got silly. Fred did a lot of work to his car, but he did it in a way that wasn't disrespectful to the car itself and it didn't offend the senses, except the ears. To me those mod show respect to the brand. Something the example above doesn't do at all.

When I was at the factory, I was surprised to hear what went into the design and testing of just one wheel. I can't imagine any aftermarket company conducting the same tests while still making money. It gave me a whole new appreciation for what goes into a Lamborghini in the first place. The ONLY modification I'd consider on the LP640 was the exhaust after talking to a hell of a lot of people at both the factory and the mechanics about Lamborghini's design limitations, etc., and why an aftermarket exhaust had some merit. The silly wing flies in the face of esthetic balance. On the SV, there is a reason it's designed the way it is and why the design is carried under the exhaust. They didn't want to to look like some high school kid bolted on a piece of garage door, yet somehow because it's made out of carbon fiber, I'm to look at it and think it looks nice. Now that Lamborghini looks like a kit car. It looks cheap because it doesn't fit the character of the original design. More is not always more. Sometimes it's the moderation that sets a good mod shop apart from a bad one.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the best posts I read on LP thank you TommyJames,.

I can't think of many aftermarket products for Lambo that I like, I would only touch the exhaust and consider 2 or 3 brands of after market wheels other than the original, my consideration would be first performance second esthetics I wouldn't consider putting a wheel on just for looks.

Why mess with perfection?

When I was at the factory, I was surprised to hear what went into the design and testing of just one wheel. I can't imagine any aftermarket company conducting the same tests while still making money.

:iamwithstupid:

I agree with everything you said,and this part always stands out and annoys me. Excluding the likes of BBS, Speedline,Alcoa (who manufacturer Lamborghini's wheels), none of the after market companies will ever have the data, nor budgets to do the testing required to make a wheel safe for everything that occurs at 200+mph. It just seems illogical to put a wheel on a car to look good at zero mph, when you should enjoy it most when you are inside driving.

However I should mention I do like companies that push the envelope of wheel technology, such as dymag.

Yea, I want my car to hold together in the extreme driving environment for which it was intended, nor do I want to do anything disrespectful of the brand.

In all fairness to you the body kit on the car isn't bad, if you lose that wing. but the interior and wheels on that car are scary.

Just as a point of reference, this is what the wheels look like without the colors

murci20cv2naked2.jpg

murci20cv2naked7.jpg

Can't someone see that the wheel design doesn't fit the character of the car? The heavy straight spoke look won't work on a Lamborghini. EVER! It's completely distracting to the esthetics of the design. Even if they were black it wouldn't work. They may work on a sedan or something with a different sense of balance, but not on a Lamborghini. There is a reason Lamborghini uses a combination of curved lines.

Can't someone see that the wheel design doesn't fit the character of the car? The heavy straight spoke look won't work on a Lamborghini. EVER! It's completely distracting to the esthetics of the design. Even if they were black it wouldn't work. They may work on a sedan or something with a different sense of balance, but not on a Lamborghini. There is a reason Lamborghini uses a combination of curved lines.

To each his own, alot of people LOVE the aesthetics of the wheels on the car. I don't own the black car so I take no personal offense to your comment, just offering a alternate perspective.

I gather you would rather slam your member in the door of your LP640, than put a set of aftermarket wheels on it! I can certainly understand and respect that. You are truly passionate about your car and its heritage.

These wheels have alot more of the curved lines that you were referring to, I'm sure you will not like them either, but once again just sharing:

gcoupevs6blkblu1.jpg

Notice how this works because the spokes aren't straight with nice curves and are split? There are tricks in design that some wheel designers ignore. As an example when looking at a car in profile, it's important to avoid parallel lines, even a slight deviation from parallel can make a huge difference. There are exceptions in some SUVs such as the H2.

As for me putting aftermarket wheels on my car, no, I'd never do it unless I knew the wheel were tested to the same factory specifications. Seriously, they go through a hell of a lot of trouble to make sure those wheels will work properly at 212 MPH. It's not just the speed that the wheels are spinning, it's also then a combination of impact forces, weighting and unweighting the wheel just as would happen at those speeds. Some of these wheels look very nice and look very solid to the eye, but there is little chance of safe outcome at high speed if one comes apart. Then there are issues of air flow, etc.

I recently saw a Bentley that had aftermarket wheels that came apart after the car unweighted itself, then weighted itself hard at some fairly low speed and it just destroyed the underside of the car. It looked like the car slid on its bottom after all four wheels came apart. Not good. I don't know the brand of for that matter how hard the car hit, and I can't entirely blame the aftermarket wheels, but in looking at all the damage, they were the failure point.

Some here trust aftermarket wheels. I don't.

I see on another forum you BF guys managed to pull down all the negative posts, leaving up nothing but the positive. If your goal is to improve your business, you listen carefully to the negative because it may give you some idea as to why your business is marginal or average when it could be outstanding.

I see on another forum you BF guys managed to pull down all the negative posts, leaving up nothing but the positive. If your goal is to improve your business, you listen carefully to the negative because it may give you some idea as to why your business is marginal or average when it could be outstanding.

Im going to take a shot in the dark and guess this happened on 6speed?

Yes its monterey blue and those are 20" aftermarket wheels.

i think your rims on the murcie and Gallardo looks sexy as hell..i don't see much problems on aftermarket rims..i do know how serious it can get if theres a design problem..but alot of cars are using aftermarket rims now..besides i think that Lambos should be different..i think yours looks very sexy with those rims..and stock Lambos are hot too! its all about looking different and unique..

If you are worried about aftermarket wheels coming apart (rare) stick with a one piece wheel. Mostly all the forgings come from the same place.

For example I know of one wheel company who uses alcoa forgings (one piece), which is the same forgings lamborghini uses for the LP670-4 SV...and I am sure others use the same forging as well :)

It's about testing. I know my factory wheels have been tested on the car at very high speed under a wide variety of conditions for a long time. I had dinner with one of the employees at the factory who's job it was to run such tests. Several of us have spoken with him and would never change our wheels after hearing him explain what goes on behind the scene. It's not as simple as weight and esthetics. It isn't to say there are not nice looking wheels on the market if that's all someone wants.

I do think some of the designs don't fit the character of Lamborghini and they give the brand a bad name and frankly look flat silly. Turning a Lamborghini into a clown car is disrespectful to the brand and to other owners who are the real stewards of the spirit of Lamborghini. Believe me, nobody at the factory is giving that Benjamin Buford "Bubba" Blue-nosed black and yellow LP640 the thumbs up.