Audi A8 - 800HP

vilhelm

I got a new car :D. Picking it up early next week. We are heading strait to the dyno after I pick it up to see what kind of numbers I get on 1.7 bar / 2.0 bar of boost. Pump gas. It's capable of 800HP on 2.5 bar on E85. Considering this will be my daily driver I will run 1.7 bar most of the time.

Here is the spec list along with some pictures :)

I believe it's the only A8 in the world with this engine. It's a custom built car that one of the world's best Audi strait-5 engine builders made for himself/girlfriend as a daily driver.

It handles like it's on rails (no roll what so ever), full aluminium body so I can drive it year around without worrying about corrosion. The engine/trans sits on some HARD engine/trans mounts, so it's more noisy than a regular A8, and a harsher ride but it's still daily drivable :)

Suspension/Brakes/Drive train:

H&R Coil Overs

EBC Brake kit front/back

S8 Calipers

RS4 Drive Axles

S4 BiTurbo Gearbox w/ Oil Cooler

Engine:

Complete Audi S4 Engine:

Autronic SM4

3,5"DP -> 3" exhaust w/ 2 mufflers.

Intercooler

Oil cooler

2 044 Fuel Pumps

Complete machined, honed and balanced block

Custom JE Pistons

Heavy duty H-profile Rods

Ceramic coated race manifold

800HP billet precision turbo

1100NM Sach Race Cutch - 4 puck sinter

Racehead:

Overhauled, Ported, Titanium Retainers, Race springs, Adjustable Cam Gears, Light Weight Hydraulic Lifters, Inconel Coated Valves

Some other performance parts/mods. Couldn't translate all the Norwegian performance parts to English.

It has Audi A8 20" rims, S8 grill, S8 mirrors.

Here are some pics (not mine). I'll take some better once when I take delivery.

a8v8010.jpg

a8v8011.jpg

a8v8014.jpg

a8v8016.jpg

a8v8022.jpg

a8v8025.jpg

Thanks guys :)

I'll try to get a video of it ASAP! There is no dump valve on it, so you get a real cool rally sound when you let off the throttle when in boost :D Kinda cool on a car that looks like that.. haha

Thanks guys :)

I'll try to get a video of it ASAP! There is no dump valve on it, so you get a real cool rally sound when you let off the throttle when in boost :D Kinda cool on a car that looks like that.. haha

I wanna see that before you fix it! That's insane- on a freakin A8.

Done any handbrake pulls? :icon_mrgreen:

How does it feel off boost? I expected that I4 to be a bit laggy in a heavy 4 seater like that. Looks fun none the less :D

FYI, be careful slamming the throttle closed when in high boost with no blowoff valve, bent throttle blades are a not so welcome surprise.

I wanna see that before you fix it! That's insane- on a freakin A8.

Done any handbrake pulls? :icon_mrgreen:

I'm not gonna "fix" that :D The guy that built it said it's not really a big issue without a dump valve. Nothing to worry about.

Haven't done any handbrake pulls yet since I haven't been given the keys yet. Picking it up early next week. Hopefully Monday or Tuesday. But why do handbreak pulls :lol2:?

How does it feel off boost? I expected that I4 to be a bit laggy in a heavy 4 seater like that. Looks fun none the less :D

FYI, be careful slamming the throttle closed when in high boost with no blowoff valve, bent throttle blades are a not so welcome surprise.

It's not that heavy. Around 1500KG. It's an I5. It has quite the torque really for such a small displacement engine, so it actually works well off-boost as well. It's bored/stroked to 2.5 liters so that also helps (stock is 2.2 liters).

The builder said it's not a big issue. Turbo life will not be as great, but it should still last a long time with no other side effects.

Talk about a sleeper :lol2:

:D

Thanks again :)

jeainat, the A8 D2 used the same body from 1994-2002. Yeah it looks dated, but it's still a pretty car IMHO. It looks much better in the flesh. Lots of clean lines along the side that don't show up in the pics :)

Thanks again :)

jeainat, the A8 D2 used the same body from 1994-2002. Yeah it looks dated, but it's still a pretty car IMHO. It looks much better in the flesh. Lots of clean lines along the side that don't show up in the pics :)

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

PS I know, but it STILL gives me that back to the 80's feeling :fart:

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

PS I know, but it STILL gives me that back to the 80's feeling :fart:

:lol2: Hi MB

Back on topic, looks like I'm picking it up on Monday. I'll keep you guys posted :)

Update. This was done today at a Dynopack dyno.

We were going to do one final pull, since we wanted to cool it down after they had adjusted the A/F. Everything looked good, but when it got to about 5000RPM we heard some awful sounds in the engine. Had to turn it off, and the tuner is now getting the car towed back to his work shop to open up the engine and rebuild it. :(

Hopefully it won't cost too much money.

I could get 100+HP with more aggressive ignition timing, leaner A/F on pump but the experts said that for a DD it is perfect as it sits, as it's a good idea to have some buffer room in ignition and A/F.

All in all they said it made 550HP/750NM (553tq) at the engine.

Dyno.jpg

Dyno2.jpg

It is a 800HP engine is you run it with aggressive ignition, aggressive A/F, 2.5 Bar. I want a reliable DD so it will stay like it is for a while at least :lol2:

• 1 month later...

Vids are up.

Dynoed the new engine a little while ago. 520HP/620NM @ 1.8 Bar on Pump. Runs on this boost at all times. Can go much higher, but not willing to risk it (yet) :)

There is no dump valve on it, so you get a real cool rally sound when you let off the throttle when in boost :D Kinda cool on a car that looks like that.. haha

Most likely it has a recirculating blow-off valve instead, a lot better than dump valves. :icon_thumleft:

Most likely it has a recirculating blow-off valve instead, a lot better than dump valves. :icon_thumleft:

Nope. Nothing. It's got a Autronic SM4, so it doesn't need a BOV (recirculating or open). You can hear the "turbo surge" in the 2nd YT link I posted. You can hear it even better with full boost, with less RPM.

badass :icon_super: