Toyota Halts sales of Eight(!) models

ts640

Toyota is halting the sale of the following (you know, everything they sell a lot of, minus the Prius) thanks to unintended acceleration issues.

2009-2010 RAV4,

2009-2010 Corolla,

2009-2010 Matrix,

2005-2010 Avalon,

Certain 2007-2010 Camry,

2010 Highlander,

2007-2010 Tundra,

2008-2010 Sequoia

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/26/breakin...elected-models/

They can engineer a Prius, but have difficulty designing a floor mat. :eusa_wall:

The good news is that in 8 out of 8 of those vehicles, a stiff breeze could offset all of that 'unintended acceleration'.

Much worse than floor mats. News report indicate the problem may also be tied to the computer controls. I can assure you, the dealers would simply replace the mats, install rubber mats, or simply knock out the prescribed anchor fix on a long Sunday lot party if only a "mat issue". Somewhere, there is room full of engineers sharpening the last sword they will ever hold. Bright side....Ford is looking great!

At least their trying to fix the issue and not sweeping it under the rug. I used to be a fan of toyota products but i'm re-thinking that position.

isn't the rug the problem? it would be quite hard to sweep the rug under the rug :icon_mrgreen:

and now on a serious note, that can be disastrous for Toyota do they have any other cars left in their line up to keep them going until these issues are being resolved?

Stop selling Auto, Problem solved!

Further more reinsurance? change all EFI back to Carb or Mechanical FI.

While we are at it let's get rid of power windows, power mirriors, air bags, etc.

isn't the rug the problem? it would be quite hard to sweep the rug under the rug :icon_mrgreen:

and now on a serious note, that can be disastrous for Toyota do they have any other cars left in their line up to keep them going until these issues are being resolved?

Tacoma. Glad they didn't completely recall those, as they recalled them on the floormats, but that's it (I have one). I'm sure there there are a few more cars that weren't suspended, but I don't know off the top of my head.

Edit: Yaris, Venza, FJ, Sienna, 4Runner, and Land Cruiser were not suspended.

Still, those are the volume sellers, Corolla, Rav and Camry...the Yaris, Sienna and Venza can probably hold the fort for a bit, given that there's a new Sienna and Venza is a relatively new car as it is, so might be able to hold it down till this is fixed....not great but probably JUST enough.

I don't understand why the 07-10 Camrys get recalled in both "floor mat" and "accelerator too long" recalls, but the ES350, which is what went down in a blazing ball of fire in Cali, only gets the "floor mat" recall, and they're the same car.

I don't understand why the 07-10 Camrys get recalled in both "floor mat" and "accelerator too long" recalls, but the ES350, which is what went down in a blazing ball of fire in Cali, only gets the "floor mat" recall, and they're the same car.

I thought the same thing. Nor are any other Lexus models on the list, which is strange since there are so many shared components.

Sorry I'm late.

Here is the real scoop.

There are 2 different issues.

The 1st is the amount of clearance between the bottom of the accelerator pedal and the floor. The pedals are going to get cut for that recall. It should start next week. The people that died in the crash were in a rental that had a thick aftermarket rubber all weather mat stacked on top of the original carpet mat. Since the carpet mat was hooked to the floor, the rubber mat was able to creep foward and block the gas pedal from returning to idle.

The 2nd issue is the pedal assembly itself. There have been a VERY small number of pedals that are binding up at the hinge point and will not allow the pedal to return to idle. Only 1 manufacturer though. The pedal assembly is built by an American company called CTS. Not all the Toyotas on the list have this pedal. The others are built by a Japanese company called Denso. These are NOT having problems.

The cars are not suddenly accelerating out of control. 6 separate times NHTSA and Toyota have tried to recreate this scenerio and were unsuccessful.

For those of you that have one of these as a daily driver, grab a flash lite and look at the very top of the pedal assembly near where the wiring attaches. There will be a logo that is on the side. If it reads CTS it will need to be fixed. The fix is rolling out any day. If it reads Denso, there is no problem.

Now my $.02

There have been many "bashers" out there that have been saying "Buy American". But ironically enough it is the American version of the pedal that is under scrutiny, not the Japanese version.

The other problem is that NHTSA is moving slower than normal to approve and allow Toyota to implement the already prepared fix. The rumor mill is because the government now "owns" 2 out of the big 3 auto manufacturers, they are eating this up.

I have just heard (but I have not been able to confirm) that CTS makes accelerator pedals for other car manufacturers both import and domestic.

If your daily has "fly by wire" gas pedal (many newer cars do), you may want to look to see if it has the CTS logo on the side.